PDA

View Full Version : a weave

sid_fishes
10-07-2007, 10:03 PM
here is my first weave [ that worked] the snapper on my new calstar cheers ian

roz
10-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Well done Ian,

That's definately something I want to aim for.

How long did it take??

r.

finga
11-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Nice mate, real nice.
Now the dreaded stages...the CP and finish.
Cheers Scott :)

Owen
11-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Ya done good bloke!

It'll look even better when you roll it and apply the CP/finish.
Doc Ski has a tutorial on it.
Helps flatten the weave and close up any gaps between the design threads.
Well done mate, I'm glad it's coming together for you.
Is that your own design?

sid_fishes
11-07-2007, 06:45 PM
owen no mate it was given to me by another rod builder, and the worst part about now is that i have just epoxyed it and its turned black, i,m so over this shit, the weave itself was pink on top and grey below now it looks like a dead bream, what am i doing wrong. ill wait till its stops turning later and have another look. but thanks for all the encouragement guys hey its rod building ian

Owen
11-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Ian,
What thread are you using exactly?
And what CP & Epoxy?
Somethings not compatible if it keeps going dark.

sid_fishes
12-07-2007, 05:01 PM
owen, the black is gubebrod "c" and the weave threads are mettler. no cp was used this time after the lion turned black, and the expoxy is flex coat and i have used this before , so i dont know. i dont know if its something i,m working with now, but i come home and scrub my hands better than any doctor, and i wait till i,m finished before i have a beer or six, so i know its not that, maybe that is the problem cheers ian

sid_fishes
12-07-2007, 05:06 PM
roz ,from start to finish including modifing the "special weave looms" about 8 hrs , including taking a walk to make coffee , a leak etc and i think you will find that its a damn site easier than those crosswraps you are doing[ damn i wish someone will show me when i have somespare time yeah right] and thanks for the support cheers ian

Owen
12-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Are you sure the thread has turned black?
I'm thinking maybe it's gone transparent making the black background come through.
You could test by putting the same thread over a test of say red or green.
I reckon it's the mettler and you need heaps of (or another) CP to seal it.

sid_fishes
12-07-2007, 08:08 PM
owen,mate it was so dark you would not know there was a weave there, i kid you not,and ill go and have another look tomorrow cause right now i,m over it. i,m just gearing up for the lion again [FOOL] ian

2DKnBJ
13-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Looks the goods Ian.
Hopefully things will look a bit better when the rod is dry.
Atleast you are having a crack at it.

Cheers Dazza

sandyd
13-07-2007, 06:27 AM
owen,mate it was so dark you would not know there was a weave there, i kid you not,and ill go and have another look tomorrow cause right now i,m over it. i,m just gearing up for the lion again [FOOL] ian

I would not say a fool just determined. I liked the fish too ian it was well done for second attempt.

DR
13-07-2007, 10:13 AM
sid, one way to test how the colour will look if no filler is used, is to wet your finger & dab it on the thread, the colour wet is how it will end up... if filler is used it should dry out & hold its colour..

sid_fishes
14-07-2007, 07:21 AM
on having another look at the rod, the weave itself has turn transparent ans it did realease a few more air bubbles turn normal, but what i did find that after 2 coats on the binds there are some areas that the flex coat has not covered and i know i covered them . anyway i,ll use it when i get the chance thanks ian

Bearclaw
15-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Ian it has come up great.
What colour was the main thread that turned black that you used CP on.