PDA

View Full Version : respect for whiting

loophole
10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
just read a thread started by juju on respect for bream and why somee people feel the need to take large numbers WHAT ABOUT THE WHITING being a member of a fishing club i have seen the same thing happen to whiting with 100litre eskies being filled>:( on an over night trip to hook point or the nerang river . i will never be part of a club again i try plastics but seldom manage to catch fish on them but i manily fish with bait and c&r so yes there are some bait fishos out there that C&R

VoodooChile78
10-07-2007, 07:31 PM
It could go for pretty much all species...people should only take what they need for 2 - 3 meals...not for the next 12mths or to give to every friend and relative!

I maybe hated but I think we need bag limits...you have to think about how long it takes to replace the fish/crabs/prawns you take...

warrior1
10-07-2007, 07:41 PM
what sort of whiting?summer or winter.cause there is a big difference in the numbers you catch.

loophole
10-07-2007, 07:49 PM
summer whiting

manchild
10-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Respect have to be given to the law ,if its allows it i have no probs here.
George

Tailortaker
10-07-2007, 09:42 PM
I take as many leagal summer whiting as I catch in a session which can be up to 50 (actually 48 is my record) because thats my right.... but not a fillet is wasted. Each season is as good as the last so I cant see a decline same with the bream..
________
Body science (http://bodyscience.ws/)

Redspeckle
11-07-2007, 01:33 AM
I maybe hated but I think we need bag limits...you have to think about how long it takes to replace the fish/crabs/prawns you take...

The DPI are currently have whiting as part of the Inshore Finfish Species Review be later this year
I can tell you there willl be a bag limit on them ( i don't how many yet ? )
and summer whiting increase to 25cm and no size limt on winter whiting
Mitch
ps I love catching whiting and eating them and they are good for kids to fish for them a evenly match there and A great way to introduce them to fishing

GBC
11-07-2007, 09:06 AM
I take as many leagal summer whiting as I catch in a session which can be up to 50 (actually 48 is my record) because thats my right.... but not a fillet is wasted. Each season is as good as the last so I cant see a decline same with the bream..

I can see decline.

Having grown up in Hervey Bay and fished the area since the seventies I would feel very much remiss if I didn't retort.

I grew up in a time when we used triple paternoster rigs off the beach at Coongul to catch whiting. We'd stop when each of us had one hundred fish (just a couple of hours), then fillet and bag them to eat.

Anything resembling 23 cm was thrown back - they were all good quality whiting.

It was common to see the old boys along the beach in front of the Scarness caravan park with wicker creels full of whiting - the fresh smell is something I remember regularly.

I'm not saying that fisho's are completely to blame - the bay has physically changed a lot, thus changing the habitat, but fishing effort - both pro and rec has had an effect.

There will be bag limits etc, but I also think that there must be parity with the pros as well.

I used to be a pro and know damn well that they still scrape the Dundowran weed beds on the spring tide for pet food. Netters still run the creek mouths on the island.

Basically anyone who thinks that the inshore fishing at present is as good as it's ever been is either having a lend of themselves, or dosen't know any better.

C.J.

Tailortaker
11-07-2007, 09:30 AM
I agree that the size limit should be increased, a 23cm whiting is not really worth filleting, 25-26cm would be a good starting point. As for the bag limit it would depend on the number. 30 would be ok. But what ever is introduced I would adbide by. I may take fish home but only what the law allows me to.
________
MILF IN BOOTS (http://www.####tube.com/video/351/blonde-milf-in-leather-boots)

Tailortaker
11-07-2007, 09:33 AM
[/color]

I can see decline.

Having grown up in Hervey Bay and fished the area since the seventies I would feel very much remiss if I didn't retort.

I grew up in a time when we used triple paternoster rigs off the beach at Coongul to catch whiting. We'd stop when each of us had one hundred fish (just a couple of hours), then fillet and bag them to eat.

Anything resembling 23 cm was thrown back - they were all good quality whiting.

It was common to see the old boys along the beach in front of the Scarness caravan park with wicker creels full of whiting - the fresh smell is something I remember regularly.

I'm not saying that fisho's are completely to blame - the bay has physically changed a lot, thus changing the habitat, but fishing effort - both pro and rec has had an effect.

There will be bag limits etc, but I also think that there must be parity with the pros as well.

I used to be a pro and know damn well that they still scrape the Dundowran weed beds on the spring tide for pet food. Netters still run the creek mouths on the island.

Basically anyone who thinks that the inshore fishing at present is as good as it's ever been is either having a lend of themselves, or dosen't know any better.

C.J.
Thats my opion, Have you counted the fish in the sea? What I was saying is that I still catch the same numbers as I did 20 years ago if not a few more each year.
________
Leather live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/fetish/leather/)

GBC
11-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Thats my opion, Have you counted the fish in the sea? What I was saying is that I still catch the same numbers as I did 20 years ago if not a few more each year.

And from your incisive comment we can surmise that

a) you have counted the fish?

or

b) you assume that just because you catch the same amount that there's been no change to fish stocks?

You beauty, what are we all worried about then?

webby
11-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I dont think you can singlerey give respect to anyone species, they all need respect, wether its a whiting or a whale.
They not only have to content with the food chain below to survive, its also the ever increasing food chain from above also.
Its a harsh world they live in.
regards

Tailortaker
11-07-2007, 12:42 PM

And from your incisive comment we can surmise that

a) you have counted the fish?

or

b) you assume that just because you catch the same amount that there's been no change to fish stocks?

You beauty, what are we all worried about then?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm saying that was my opinion as i thought we all had a right to one ! I'm not telling you or anyone else that is NOT a decrease just that it has not effected my catch. We all talk about respecting the fish but how about respecting other poeples opinions.
________
Total Drama Island Advice (http://www.tv-gossip.com/total-drama-island/)

juju
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I feel the same way about whiting as any other fish....i have no problem with someone taking home a feed of fish......i just dont get the need to take home heaps just because there isent a limit on them...and i cant see why a bream or a whiting is not as protected as some other fish...thats what i was getting at

Leeann
11-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a problem with people selling their excess catch or putting them in the freezer only to be thrown out a year later. The dinosaur clubs that loophole mentions are a disgrace, particularly the ones that sell their catch after their club weigh-ins. Bring on the bag limits.

DR
11-07-2007, 02:30 PM
I have a problem with people selling their excess catch or putting them in the freezer only to be thrown out a year later. The dinosaur clubs that loophole mentions are a disgrace, particularly the ones that sell their catch after their club weigh-ins. Bring on the bag limits.

my recollection of the 'club' type fishing is that very little care was taken of the catch & most would have very ordinary eating qualities. It was fishing to get a name on a trophy & backslapped by fellow members..mostly ego driven..

Leeann
11-07-2007, 02:54 PM
my recollection of the 'club' type fishing is that very little care was taken of the catch & most would have very ordinary eating qualities. It was fishing to get a name on a trophy & backslapped by fellow members..mostly ego driven..

HEHEHEHE I was going to mention something about lacking in size of a certain appendage but thought the moderators might zap me ;D

warrior1
11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
28cm and bag limit of 30 would be great for whiting.

tunaticer
11-07-2007, 05:15 PM
I think there should also be a set of regs for winter whiting also. God knows how much harder it is these days to even come close to finding schools reminiscent of the "good ol' days". I make at most three runs a yr for winter whiting and i take somewhere around 30 a trip to feed 4 ppl for two meals or so.

I think back in disgust of my old man taking us lads fishing in Hervey Bay back in the early 70's after winteries. I also remember the 5 hours or so of filleting and freezing down of that catch. I have neer since been fishing with my old man and still cant handle his idea of a fair bag limit.

All fish stocks need to be treated as though they were as prescious a comodity as our livelihoods. Sooner or later by reaping the seas our plates will be empty.

Take a feed for you and your family and return after they have been consumed.

Jack.

ozbee
11-07-2007, 05:56 PM
tunaticer i think your being a bit hard on your old man even if he fished every hour of his life, he would have no effect on whitting numbers, it still happens today armies of grey nomads come up north for winter and fish winter whiting from dawn to dark . even though i find this uneasy i would still say it has little effect.trouble being its not uncommon for a patch of trawlers to leave 5 sq klms of dead by catch in a night. when catches are in tons by ametuars you might equal a nights trawling. all i can say is thank god they have a hell of alot of offspring

tunaticer
11-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Ozbee,
My old man will not leave a patch of whiting unless its fished out or the storms chase him home. He has an attitude about fish "they are there to take so take as many as u can cuz they wont be there tomorrow"
His depleting of the stocks is a reality i think but i am glad that now he is past making the run out into the bay on his own anymore or driving up to frazer and going for another kill session on the tailor.

As mean as it might sound I think he is a prick for not taking conservation seriously and I will not take him fishing to support his greedy apetite.

If he wants fish he can go to woolies and deplete thier stocks as much as he wants.

Jack.

Feral
11-07-2007, 07:03 PM
You need an esky full of winter whiting to get a feed dont you? :)

loophole
11-07-2007, 07:06 PM
i have never seen fish sold after club weigh ins but it annoys me 2 hear that

azzure
11-07-2007, 07:16 PM
i take home 5 because i know that thats all that we might eat for dinner, i leave some for next time :)

bushbeachboy
12-07-2007, 06:44 AM
I agree, bring on a bag limit for whiting. Maybe 30? It needs to be an 'in possession' limit that includes everything in your freezer at home etc.

blueringin
12-07-2007, 09:24 PM

Well maybe they should up the limit to a 150 then you can take that many too, because its your right,hav'nt heard the phrase limit your catch not catch your limit,
well it's because ppl can't control there excesses that the laws get tighter all the time,so get amongst them while you can.

Tailortaker
12-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Well maybe they should up the limit to a 150 then you can take that many too, because its your right,hav'nt heard the phrase limit your catch not catch your limit,
well it's because ppl can't control there excesses that the laws get tighter all the time,so get amongst them while you can.
Well how can you up the limit when there is no limit? :-/ I'm talking under 50 fish and than I go home so in actual fact I DO limit my catch dont I ? and as i said none is wasted so how can that be not controlling excess? heard of think before you speak? (or in this case post)

CHEERS MATE ;D
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

minno
14-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Whiting are like bream. Good breeders. They will both be round for a long time to come. As for respect, well only you can answer that.

minno

Mattg68
15-07-2007, 12:45 PM
it would be great to have first hand info on fish stocks vs amount of boats (fishos).as we all know there has been a significant increase in boat sales over the years so maybe introducing bag limits as well as seasonal limits could be on the cards. I would have to say that times have changed compared to when my old man used to always bring home good supplies of catch on all trips years ago. as long as your fishing within the law I suppose that's all you can ask of someone.Matt

Kiktz
15-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Personally I respect the water ways also the life thats in it. NOT just the Fish.

I saying that, Limits need only apply to the greedy or plan stupid.
Example, as some here may know, we have had some work done on the boat
over the last 3weeks. So thats means dad hasn't fished in that time.
So Saturday morning out we go and catch 43 nice winter whiting. Good size fish too, on avg bigger than what has been caught in the past.

1. The size of these fish were mostly over 20cms
2. We took 43,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not 100 and something
3. I had bones whiting fillets for dinner tonight.

We as a family I am talking, are very fortunate to have access to fresh fish on
a very regular basis. So the need to take "Numbers" is not there.

Cheers Aj

Haji-Baba
15-07-2007, 09:44 PM
What's all this rubbish about "bag limits" we need "in possession limits" for all species to combat the Freezer Brigade. I have seen it all and most of you fisherpersons know what i am saying, too many fish/fillets are going into portable or mobile freezers and as Leeann said, "tossed out later."

Have fun Haji-Baba