PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Cat

julian1
10-07-2007, 04:41 PM
ok guys as a follow on from another thread, alot of us would like to see pics and details of Coastal Cats, as there is no info to find online i'm sure there are a lot of happy owners that would love to share their Coastal Cat with us, ok guys give us some pics inside and out, hard tops, wheelhouses etc :)

Kiktz
10-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Jules,

ARE YOU SERIOUS?????????????????????????

Give us your email and I will send them to you. Going over to my mates shortly.
So should be able to get internal ones for you.

Cheers Aj

youngfisho
10-07-2007, 04:51 PM
well come on where are the pics?????

Greg P
10-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Dont know where you are based Julian but if in SEQ all you need to do is take your camera to the Kawana Ramp on a busy day - usually at least 3 or 4 pro-boats. Awesome work boats - would like to see the finish in them as well

julian1
10-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Dont know where you are based Julian but if in SEQ all you need to do is take your camera to the Kawana Ramp on a busy day - usually at least 3 or 4 pro-boats. Awesome work boats - would like to see the finish in them as well

no i don't live in SEQ :'( that is why i have raised the post for myself and others

saurian
10-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I agree julian , all talk no action.
Typical coastal cat owner , reinforced plastic fllabbergaster....
LOL...
Ta

Kiktz
10-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Saurian,

And you wonder why people dont post,

Julian,

Mate didn't get a chance to get pics tonight, had a mate email me
and will post some tomorrow.

Aj

Kiktz
11-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Ok Boys and Girls of Ausfish Here we Go!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiktz
11-07-2007, 08:21 AM
The boats above are the 7m Coastal Cat, Full Cabin and walk around Cab version.

Kiktz
11-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Leon 2 is one of my mates first Coastal, He has since upgrade if you like
to the full cab version

Kiktz
11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
A Couple of Build pics

Kiktz
11-07-2007, 08:38 AM
The only down fall of the walk around cab, you don't have a heap of room for
electronics. and a stir pic of me merving a mate.

Sorry Beefy couldn't help my self

julian1
11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
great shots, do you have any of the deck layout, and of the freeboard ?
keep them coming ! :)

Kiktz
11-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah Jules, didn'y get a chance to get them last night.
But working on them

Aj

Blackened
11-07-2007, 04:44 PM
G'day

Great pics there Aj.

Is that bobs bald spot I see there? lol

Dave

Dean1
11-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Great pics! Great boats! Looks like bob in a pic there ;D

Kiktz
11-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah Boys thats Big Bad Bob,

What a bloke, I have learnt dotn turn up with beers you
just wont leave. Top Bloke

Aj

sempre
11-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Havent heard of a dis-satisfied CC owner yet .

rat_catcher
11-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Great pics. It is always good to see a variety of close-up pics of other boats to see how things are done differently and to get ideas. Thanks.

perko
12-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Is it true the Coastal Cats are a lengthend and widend version of the 520 Noosa Cat with a modified transom/pods? Anyone know the history?

Dean1
12-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Their taken off the mantacat hull design, changed a few things to become a COASTALCAT ;D Similar looking hull to the 520 noosacats...

reef_king
12-07-2007, 08:41 PM
heres a few pics of a 2004 7m centre cabin walkaround with raised front decks to have bigger sleeping.

reef_king
12-07-2007, 08:49 PM
on water pics.

julian1,

Freeboard at the rear is 610mm sloping up toward the front....being about 680mm at the helm, however since these pics have had rails fitted that come in at 780mm.

Kiktz
12-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Good Rig Ty, Thanks for posting some pics saves me going to get em

Aj

julian1
13-07-2007, 09:58 AM
thanks guys i really appreciate the pics and info. I don't mind seeing more especially the running shots and different versions of hardtop and wheelhouse :)

youngfisho
13-07-2007, 08:14 PM
what about any videos of them running? or am i askin too much

nice lookin rig

what sort of k's for the 7m walk around, with the 140 suzi's like reef kings?

andrew

rogerb
16-07-2007, 06:37 AM
More great pics Aj, do you who builds Coastal Cats?

All the best, Rog

Blackened
16-07-2007, 07:20 AM
G'day

Rog, coastal cat is built by bob up at caloundra. He goes under a trading name that escapes me now.

He's up in grigor st.

Dave

reef_king
16-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Its coastline fiberglass. There a bit cheaper than most the major production cats, eg. kevlacat/dominator because he dosen't have the overheads other companies have (him and 1 other guy hand build them approx. 3 a year.)your probally looking at about $115,000-$120,00 4 my setup with a sensa braked trailer, but i don't know current prices, as they may have gone up since 2005

ty

Chimo
16-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Rog / Dave

Is this him?
Coastline Fibreglass

<LI class=subMultiContainer>
155 Grigor St Caloundra 4551
(07) 5491 9966
<LI class=subMultiContainer>
Mobile Service
0418 712 639Cheers
Chimo

julian1
16-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Its coastline fiberglass. There a bit cheaper than most the major production cats, eg. kevlacat/dominator because he dosen't have the overheads other companies have (him and 1 other guy hand build them approx. 3 a year.)your probally looking at about $115,000-$120,00 4 my setup with a sensa braked trailer, but i don't know current prices, as they may have gone up since 2005

ty

Is that for a 7m ? and is the 7m really a 7m (23ft) hull or is measured the way most do now and is really only a 6m ? (20-21ft) :-/

reef_king
16-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Its excatly 7m from the front of boat, not including bowsprit, to were the engines get bolted on to, not to the back of the walkway in between the engines. U can get them now in the 2.5m or a 2.8m wide one but mine only measures 2.3m wide, he also makes 5.6m-8m models(that i know of, but is a complete customizable builder and i don't know of any that have the exact same setup).

ty

Blackened
16-07-2007, 06:15 PM
G'day

Thanx Ty,

Chimo, yes, thats him

Dave

Kerry
16-07-2007, 06:20 PM
....U can get them now in the 2.5m or a 2.8m wide one but mine only measures 2.3m wide

Are you saying this is a 7m Cat with a 2.3 metre (7.5 feet) beam ????

reef_king
17-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Thats what i wrote.......!!!!

northernblue
17-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Are you saying this is a 7m Cat with a 2.3 metre (7.5 feet) beam ????

Kerry, Kerry.....KERRY.....Breathe, now breathe.......in and out........Better?.....
now do tell...;D

Kerry
19-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Thats what i wrote.......!!!!

Yeah that's what I thought you said, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a missprint ::)

So it's no only the yanks that try and make little boats into bigger boats, err that should be longer boats without due respect for the beam! Cheap way out but doesn't do the lengthened boat justice.

finding_time
20-07-2007, 12:52 PM
maybe it was made like that, to improve performance,not just save cost? Interesting how most of the time Kerry you wont give advice until you have all the facts, yet sometimes you just shoot off at the mouth with very little facts at all!

Hummm, Kerry i have 2 questions? Have you every seen a coastal cat in the flesh? If answer yes to this, have you ever been in a coastal cat?

Ian

Kerry
20-07-2007, 06:02 PM
maybe it was made like that, to improve performance,not just save cost? Interesting how most of the time Kerry you wont give advice until you have all the facts, yet sometimes you just shoot off at the mouth with very little facts at all!

Hummm, Kerry i have 2 questions? Have you every seen a coastal cat in the flesh? If answer yes to this, have you ever been in a coastal cat?

Ian

Ian,

Regardless of seeing any cat in the flesh, any cat what so ever, it simply begs the question why anybody would take a 5m cat (as suggested) and turn it into a 7m cat without loosing some of the characteristics and ending up with ill bred greyhound!

Like this isn't the first time this has been attempted and the results generally don't favour a boat actually designed as if from scratch. Similar in the states Cats are designed more to meet trailer requirements than actual sea capabilities so one ends up 7m designs extended to 10 metres maintaining the same beam with the excuse being thay have to keep the beam less than trailerable restrictions, well that's a load of BS, either built a Cat as a proper Cat or not at all and a 7m cat with a 2.3 metre beam is nothing more than a cheap way out as obviously it has been adpated from a much smaller cat and simply extended, nothing more.

It really does not give you a 7m cat unless you believe in shiny greyhounds, regardless of what spin or excuse you want to put on it.

So Ian it really is nothing more than a half breed and not a Cat designed from scratch taking into consideration length v beam ratio's. Lets face it if it was designed from scratch then it simply would not have a 2.3m beam, would it?

Regards, Kerry.

reef_king
20-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Kerry, You know absoultly nothing about Coastal Cats, or how their built... so stop jumping to conclusions, babbling on about B.S and greyhounds.

The diffferent hulls sizes have different moulds and modifications, and i did not say the 5.6-8m models all come from the same mould. My boat had a 2.3 mt beam from the mould for that year(2004commercial hull), the reason he makes a 2.5mt beam one now, not the 2.3mt beam is cause the mould has been changed to 7.3m not 7m and a slighltly different hull(2006). I do not know the width of the 5.6mt.

ty,

P.S Who is to say a 7m cat has to be 2.5m?
P.P.S The hull is a semi-planning hull and works it way through the water not over it .

Kerry
20-07-2007, 09:41 PM
So why did he originally make a 7 metre, 2.3 m metre beam cat :)

....P.S Who is to say a 7m cat has to be 2.5m? Who said anything about it having to be 2.5m? Not me! Why stop at 2.5 metres anyway????

....U can get them now in the 2.5m or a 2.8m wide one but mine only measures 2.3m wide...

2.8m wide? So what's the main reasoning for a spread of 2.3m to 2.8m beam in what is basically a 7m boat?

reef_king
21-07-2007, 09:05 AM
The 2.8mt beam is desinged 4 carrying more load on the deck and are used mostly by spanner crabbers that need the extra load handeling charcteristics.

My model with the 2.3m beam is by far the softest riding boat he makes(most of the pro's in CC around here that are line fishing use this hull because its so soft and the distances they have to travell 50-60nmls in almost any weather), with the 2.8 mt one not as soft in the way it works itself through the water but more stable.(of course) theres also a few mackeral fisherman up north who use the 2,8mt for the extra deck load carrying they have.

The boat was desinged ground up with this beam and it works exceptionally well.
U probally can't find any advertising info on them is because he doesn't need to advertise, the boats sell themselves, and he doesn't have to spend thousands on advertisng like the kevla's,noosa's, ect.

Kerry
21-07-2007, 09:16 AM
....The boat was desinged ground up with this beam and it works exceptionally well.

Is this the 2.8 metre version or the 2.3 m beam version?

reef_king
21-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Both are

ty

Kerry
21-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Their taken off the mantacat hull design, changed a few things to become a COASTALCAT ;D Similar looking hull to the 520 noosacats...

So this comment is not correct then?

However would explain why a 7m Cat ended up with only a 2.3m beam!

reef_king
21-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I did not write that comment......thats dean's perspective.....and they are completly different hull to a 520 noosa cat ie.The coastal cat has a dead flat bottom on each hull at the back not a dearise and is a semi planning hull.........

As u have probally never seen one.... and u deffinatly haven't been in one, I don't see how this could posibly be a problem for u on how it was desinged......
As it Works exceptionally well for me, and everyone esle I know that owns them....

Ty

Kerry
21-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Then there does certainly appear to be quite a few different perspectives doesn't there?

So is Dean incorrect then?

As far as how it was designed there still hasn't been any valid reason put forward for its narrow gutted greyhound 2.3 m beam and it certainly does tend to indicate that it is one of those cheap extension jobs based on a smaller hull? Yes?

OPTI
21-07-2007, 05:58 PM
kerry what the f### would you know?how many cats have you built and designed?give it up buddy .your just starting another fight.gee if it hasnt got kevla cat written on it it must be a heap of sh## according to your valued opinion!
go sit in your 6.2 kc have a beer and relieve yourself.>:(

Kerry
21-07-2007, 06:30 PM
kerry what the f### would you know?how many cats have you built and designed?give it up buddy .your just starting another fight.gee if it hasnt got kevla cat written on it it must be a heap of sh## according to your valued opinion!
go sit in your 6.2 kc have a beer and relieve yourself.>:(

So what's your opinion opti? you got anything constructive to add?

What do you think opti about a 7m cat with a gutless 2.3 metre beam? This is the question opti why would anybody build a 7m cat with a 2.3 metre beam unless it was an extended hull?

The question here is opti why would anybody design a 7m Cat from the ground up with a 2.3 metre beam, understand the actual question?

Just about as silly as somone trying to re-invent a the Haines Cat, don't you think ;D

OPTI
21-07-2007, 06:48 PM
like reef king stated,the 2.3 rides better than the 2.8.what cant you understand about that?he has been in both boats.why dont you do yourself a favour and ask the builder of coastal cat why is it so he is only a short distance from your place.
i wonder what the kc 2800 would ride like with a 2.3 beam?at least coastal cat has experimented with length and width to get the best result in ride,not just volume like the rest of the mongrel pack!:-*

Kerry
21-07-2007, 06:57 PM
like reef king stated,the 2.3 rides better than the 2.8.what cant you understand about that?he has been in both boats.why dont you do yourself a favour and ask the builder of coastal cat why is it so he is only a short distance from your place.
i wonder what the kc 2800 would ride like with a 2.3 beam?at least coastal cat has experimented with length and width to get the best result in ride,not just volume like the rest of the mongrel pack!:-*

Is that a fact? Interesting from someone who tried to re-invent the haines cat! Doesn;t actually say anything for your credibility does it :P

This is no better than a certain tri hull that tried to stretch a 5m hull to a 6m hull from the same jig, didn't work did it?

The credibilty is certainly undermined when anybody has the stupidity to suggest a 7m KC should have a 2.3m beam ::) Arh what a wack ::)

Kerry
21-07-2007, 07:01 PM

:D Finally shows you have absolutely no idea about Cat design what so ever 8-)

OPTI
21-07-2007, 07:23 PM
i wont turn this into a personal slanging match kerry .
how many boats have you built ? 0
how many cats have you designed ?0
whats your crediability ?0
coastal cat is in buisness,he has a couple of designs that he SELLS ,he has redesigned his 7m in different beams he SELLS BOTH VERSIONS.i would have to conclude from the information i have that he has more crediability and knowledge of cat design than you would ever dream of knowing.::)

Kerry
21-07-2007, 08:33 PM
i wont turn this into a personal slanging match kerry .
how many boats have you built ? 0
how many cats have you designed ?0
whats your crediability ?0
coastal cat is in buisness,he has a couple of designs that he SELLS ,he has redesigned his 7m in different beams he SELLS BOTH VERSIONS.i would have to conclude from the information i have that he has more crediability and knowledge of cat design than you would ever dream of knowing.::)

Yeah what ever you reckon ;D Ans all this coming from someone who thought they would re-invent the haines Cat :o Go justify your credibility somewhere else because you certainly have no credibility here, regardless of you faceless attempts of trying to put peoploe down.

And this is coming from someone who tried to re-invent the haines cat :-X what a joke! Say whatever happened to the haines cat concept ;D

OPTI
21-07-2007, 08:55 PM
gee kerry rather than lead this thread off topic ,which i know is your intention, i thought i would be better to take it private,but what do you know ?you have had me blocked from sending you pm,s .whats the matter scared are we?8-)
and if you really want to talk about the haines cat why dont you start a thread on them seeing you know all about them?:P

Kerry
21-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Why the hell would anybody want to talk to somebody who goes by several different handles on different sites, like what is it someone like this has to hide, why not simply use your own name you stupid ######, you got something to hide, use your own name and be man enough to use the same name on any site otherwise your nothing more than a hyprocrite!

Haines cat re-incarnatation, a smarter person would have known a lot better but then that asks the obvious question doesn't it?

As for you being blocked well you had your chance but decided to try and be a smart arse didn't you, but your not as smart as you try and make your self out to be. In other words buddy you blue it and you don't get any second chances with your ridiculous jibes. So if you have something to say, anything, then right here is the place to do, not your typical back stabbing approach.

OPTI
22-07-2007, 06:56 AM
you really have dementia dont you.
firstly i only have 2 handles opti and etec on fishnet and that was because someone else had opti,dont know where you get several.
the haines cat cant be that bad i havent herd of any rolling over in flat water unlike some other cats mentioned
and unlike you at least i listen to peoples comments on what they have experienced ,instead of ignoring facts and starting arguments with every thread on every boating forum in australia and usa,but hey i understand its your excuse for existance,you oxygen thief.:-X

reef_king
22-07-2007, 08:27 AM
If you think the 2.3 mt cat is a poor design come for a ride in one.

ty

reef_king
22-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Don't worry about him Opti, stop answering his pathetic Q.

Kerry Who really cares how they were built, I have been on most of the 7m cats including the CC2.3m beam and the 2.8m 7m model and the 2.3m beam CC rides softer and smoother than any!And yes I have been on a KC....but I don't want to start this into a brand slamming match.

ty

P.S kerry whats with all the negativity and slanging.....unless its informative or consructive dont add anything.

P.P.S Just to be a smartass......whats with the skinny greyhound tunnel on a kevlacat;D ;D ;D

Kerry
22-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Then there does certainly appear to be quite a few different perspectives doesn't there?

So is Dean incorrect then?

As far as how it was designed there still hasn't been any valid reason put forward for its narrow gutted greyhound 2.3 m beam and it certainly does tend to indicate that it is one of those cheap extension jobs based on a smaller hull? Yes?

Reef King, This was where we were before being so rudely and arograntly interupted by your DH hero and if you have the hypocrisy to thank some wack for being rude and arrogrant then you obviosuly have no idea what slanging is all about.

So what's it going to be RK? Your double standards or a discussion? It's your choice