PDA

View Full Version : Suggustions for Size's

jtpython
09-07-2007, 07:10 PM
:D Well of late there is some controvertial subjects and laws are there to be followed , I believe the bag limit's and Green zones have definaetly increased our catches of fishes here on the capricorn coast

Now what i'd like to know if anyone or would like to change any of the sizing of reef fin fishes
I believe that Coral Trout for one should be a minimum size of 450mm instead of 380mm :-/
Any one else have change's they'd like to see?
And don't say flathead to be 82 cm for god's sake:P

VoodooChile78
10-07-2007, 12:12 AM
I think the size and bag limits should be looked at....how much meat can you get off of a 23cm whiting or bream??

Soon as you mention bag limits or size adjustments most people label you as some kind of greenie or treehuger...but I just want to know that in 10yrs I can go out and still catch a feed...with the decline I have seen over the last 10...it's something to seriously think about.

disorderly
10-07-2007, 08:06 AM
hi jt,

I,m also glad that green zones were introduced.
As for coral trout.Well a 38cm model is a scrawny specimen indeed.Though still to tasty to throw back.
Definitely needs to increase to at least 42cm legal size.

The real problem for me however is the size of the wind.This seems to be as effective as bag and size limits in limiting catchs of reef fish.Bugga...

Scott

mini696
10-07-2007, 08:54 AM
http://nuggetfishing.com.au/podcasts/pod1.mp3

I would like to see the Bream and whiting size increased, and limits placed on every species. I think the limits on most species should be reduced a LOT down to a couple of fish per person.

I believe every species should have a size limit determined by its breeding cycle. If the species wont breed until it is say 30cm long (on average) then the limit should be above that.

Horse
10-07-2007, 03:10 PM
As I understand it current sizes are set such that fish get at least one spawning season before reaching legal. Probably no reason not to put a few extra cm on top of that

I would like 25cm for bream and whiting and snapper up to 38

mini696
10-07-2007, 04:06 PM
As I understand it current sizes are set such that fish get at least one spawning season before reaching legal.
Unfortuantly not all species are covered for this.

jtpython
10-07-2007, 05:45 PM
hi jt,

I,m also glad that green zones were introduced.
As for coral trout.Well a 38cm model is a scrawny specimen indeed.Though still to tasty to throw back.
Definitely needs to increase to at least 42cm legal size.

The real problem for me however is the size of the wind.This seems to be as effective as bag and size limits in limiting catchs of reef fish.Bugga...

Scott
Am hearing you there scott
Seems the wind at times betters any bag and size limits at times:-/
This years has been good to us, there has been years you could count on one hand the amount of trips ya have been able to get out and fish on.
JT

VoodooChile78
10-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Well if the wind is a factor in fish size...this drought must be affecting fish sizes as well...all those fine and sunny days to go fishing...

Stuie
10-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Agree trout should be somewhere around 43-45cm. Hussar should also be increased - maybe upto 30cm.

Raesen
10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Whiting in the Tweed 27 cm. Thrown back many at 26 or so and if I was 3km up the road all OK.
I agree that limits need to be increased. I have applied personnaly and only keep 3 or 4 bream over 26 (Qld) for a feed. My choice so not putting sh^t on others.
But one thing it has to be "national" where applicable!!!!
This crap about state to state has to be sorted out surely. I know we have diiferent species and types of species but for chr2st sake the Authorities should/need to/must head to some uniformity. :-/
Pete

Redspeckle
11-07-2007, 01:54 AM
Unfortuantly not all species are covered for this.

Thats why we are currently having a Inshore Fin Fish Species Review so that some of fish species now can safely bred for a season frist time that weren't cover in the past
Other fish speices that all ready have a size limit in place (be increase will be able few more times after there first breding season)
Mitch

mini696
11-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Thats why we are currently having a Inshore Fin Fish Species Review so that some of fish species now can safely bred for a season frist time that weren't cover in the past...
Mitch Makes me wonder what came from the last review years and years ago (over 10 years I think).

Ian1
11-07-2007, 08:55 AM
JT. I couldn't agree more. I believe there are quite a few species that need reviewed size and bag limits on the GBR. Red Dew, Lippers and Trout should all be increased in size. Sure it may have an affect in the short term but in 12 months time when all the fish grow a bit then we will be catching the same number of fish but bigger ones. Having more big fish out there would probably increase the number of fish spawned as well. I think the Red Emp is a great example.

I would also like to see the bag limits reduced. Bag limits could be halfed on most species. Even at that rate if you get a mixed bag you can still take home more fish then needed in my opinion.

The reason the weather is so good in CQ this year is I sold my boat....bugger!!!
It should turn to s..... again about November as thats when i get the new one.

Cheers

Ian

thump-a
11-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I gotta say its very disapointing to release a 52 ; 53 or 54cm red emperor
It also hurts to see people filleting undersize reef fish and using for bait