PDA

View Full Version : Respect for bream ..

juju
09-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Just a question....Why is it ok to take large numbers of bream?....i know there is no limit on them but almost any other fish whould draw comments...but it seems ok to take as many bream as you want.....there is nothing wrong with a "feed".... but i just dont get the need to take so many....

flyfisho
09-07-2007, 05:54 PM
big brave hunter bloodlust , or old school mentality
either way I agree with you

betsy
09-07-2007, 05:56 PM
my local fishing club has a minimum size 0f 26 cm and a bag limit of 10 for bream although i notice not to many off them get near the bag anyhow ,so i usually stick to these rules when fishing with mates our non club trips

breamnut
09-07-2007, 06:09 PM
i see a few old guys in the tweed fish the nouth and keep like40-50bream.
i asked them why they take so many and they said they freeze them.
but there they are the next day keeping more?
why would they need more when there are already 80 bream fillets in the freezer?
yes the bream are spawning and there thick but wat a waist it is.

imnotoriginal
09-07-2007, 06:18 PM
I don't even think they're worth the effort of filleting to eat fresh, let alone to eat them frozen. But I'm sure others would disagree. I reckon some blokes just seem to get a kick out of taking home a huge amount of fish.
Joel

ffejsmada
09-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I also agree, it's a joke. No bag limit on Bream or Trevally!(no min size on Trevally)
A 25 cm Bream has 2 mouthfulls to a fillet, personally I don't even see the point in taking them. I kept 8 a while back, never again, I'll leave them to the masses.

Kiktz
09-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I know a guy thats in a club here in Brissy, He has reported cathes of up to 90 bream in a night. No not ten boats just the one. Ask what it is for and the reply was were are in a comp and we keep the fish to sell to fund the end of year party.

What Crap if you dont mind me saying

Aj

dynamicspot
09-07-2007, 06:43 PM
one or 2 over 30 cm is ok cant justify taking a 23 cm bream i just throw them back

Cheers

Greg

Lucky_Phill
09-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Well AJ, you might have an issue here.

Do you know this ' club ' person and did ' he ' tell you this. Doesn't matter if you're in a club, selling your fish is illegal, simple.

The days of catching cricket scores of Bream to win a Trophy are numbered, trust me !!! ;)

To answer juju's question, why is it OK ? simple, there are no bag limits on the species ( yet ). That is why. People will fish within the law and outside it, of course. Human nature !!!

Hopefully any and all bag limits and size limits are implimented under the direction of scientific research and data. Interesting side note to this, is that some ' club ' history records on Bream and Whiting catches show no decline in the numbers or sizes of those species being caught in the SEQ area. These records date back 50 years. I will add that the records that show this are taken from clubs that fish NON_NETTED estuary systems. I N T E R E S T I N G...... ::)

Yep no limit on Trevally either. What is needed is full-on scientific research funded by interested parties to establish the recovery rate, growth rates, sustainability and environmental impacts of species that are considered " bread and butter ".

I personally target Bream in season and do quite well in the way of providing a good feed etc. I like the idea of pulling 40cm Bream from 1ft of water on a freezing winters night with my hands stinking of chook gut... I also like the idea of sittin in front of the tele, beer in hand watching the footy, I have a choice........ I am, and I choose.

Yes, for the record, I have been a club fishermen. I know what goes on and have made a choice not to be involved in that system. But while the laws are as they are, the Bream will be targeted and big numbers dropped in the esky.

Phill

TheSaint
09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
I love catching bream & always have but now that i fish the ABT comps which is catch & release, I kind of hope they will be there next time when i need them for my bag..

Why-ting
09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I was thinking this as i looked at a few recent posts. I dont eat fish and release 99% of my fish. Im not saying everyony should live and die by these rules, everyone is entitled to a feed but 60, 70, 90 fish. Whats going through some peoples heads? Spins me out.

Im not a greeny but LIMIT YOUR KILL. DONT KILL YOUR LIMIT

Raesen
09-07-2007, 07:13 PM
26/cm and keep enough for a feed only. Must admit I don't mind eating fresh bream !! Bit of flour, butter and a barby plate - nice. When me and the deckie go out we generally target bream and they can be great fun to catch on light gear. Keep 3 maybe four at most (if we catch that many). :)

Pete

juju
09-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I think it should be rememberd how important these fish are to everybody...from nice big glass boat/platy....down to the kid on teh jetty...they are a bread and butter fish..and to my way of thinking should have a bag limit

Lucky_Phill
09-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Those bag limits will be here sooner than you think juju !!

phill

breamnut
09-07-2007, 07:41 PM
I think it should be rememberd how important these fish are to everybody...from nice big glass boat/platy....down to the kid on teh jetty...they are a bread and butter fish..and to my way of thinking should have a bag limit
well said!
i really think also insted of spending millions on dollers on marine parks they need to buy out the commercial fisherman and or reduce bag limets on fish!
who needs 10flathead!
a very greedy person!

PinHead
09-07-2007, 07:44 PM
I enjoy my winters nights fishing for bream and also eating them...I break no laws so all those that disagree with it..tough luck. If oyu think that the bream numbers are in decline..think again...there is no threat to them whatsoever...have been fishing for them for the past 39 years and nothing much has changed..except the forshorews being destroyed..but the bream are still there. For those that C&R all the time...where is the evidence showing that they all survive ?
I catch bream..I eat bream..I break no laws..my choice.

VoodooChile78
09-07-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm an advocate for Bream, Whiting etc...I am only 29 and even in my short time I have noticed the decline in fish...when I used to be able to get enough for 2-3 feeds...now I am flat out getting 2-3 legal fish!

We need to be more aware of fish stock management...not that I am a full card carrying member of the tree-hugger community but if we want to teach our children in the future the joy of fishing, we need fish there for them to catch!

breamnut
09-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I enjoy my winters nights fishing for bream and also eating them...I break no laws so all those that disagree with it..tough luck. If oyu think that the bream numbers are in decline..think again...there is no threat to them whatsoever...have been fishing for them for the past 39 years and nothing much has changed..except the forshorews being destroyed..but the bream are still there. For those that C&R all the time...where is the evidence showing that they all survive ?
were is the evidence that they dont survive!
we didnt say anything about having a problem about people keeping a feed all we were saying is why are there no bag limets on bream and how unfair it is keeping 20 or so bream!
u dont need that many fish.
know u cant say that fishing isnt on decline. i always here older people saying that the fishin isnt like it used to be. ummmm i wonder why>:(
after a bream tourniment all bream swim away and u dont here of people saying of a hundred bream or so floating down the river.

Raesen
09-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Pinhead I concur with your post that "yes there is no limit on bream sizes" and as you abide by those rules "no probs".

the problem here is not Pinhead (if you disagree) it is the law !!!!

As I said earlier I/we only keep what we want (if we are lucky enough to catch some) and that's our choice.

No different to using our shopping bags when we get groceries. using more water than we should (and we don't) etc etc etc.

Mate I'm with you - If its within the law go for it - its a personal choice.

Lets face it some times I drive at 38 in a 40 km school zone. My choice and abiding by the law.

Cheers mate and have a good one.

PinHead
09-07-2007, 08:03 PM
were is the evidence that they dont survive!
we didnt say anything about having a problem about people keeping a feed all we were saying is why are there no bag limets on bream and how unfair it is keeping 20 or so bream!
u dont need that many fish.
know u cant say that fishing isnt on decline. i always here older people saying that the fishin isnt like it used to be. ummmm i wonder why>:(
after a bream tourniment all bream swim away and u dont here of people saying of a hundred bream or so floating down the river.

when I started fishing some blokes (only a few) could catch 100 a night..if they were still around I dare say they could still do it...those numbers may not be acceptable in this PC and "green" woirld we are all being thrust into however..I can still catch the same numbers now asI did back then. Why is it unfair to keep 20 or so bream..they all get eaten./.what difference does it make if I go about 6 times during winter and no other times during the year and catch 20 each time..that is 120 fish...how about the bloke that goes out 12 times a year and catches 10 fish each time and says..aren"t I a good boy..I don't keep many fish.

Every fish I catch is eaten..none wasted or sold so what is your problem..jealous you cannot catch many perhaps?

As for someone else saying they arew flat out catching 2 or 3 fish now...perhaps you need some lessons on catching bream.

I get sick and tired of sanctimonious attitudes at times...how about some people look at themselves first before criticising others.

Tailortaker
09-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I dont beleive in poeple taking more than they need but if you need them, take them. I dont eat fish but still keep a percentage of my catch for my family which appreciates it and it is never wasted. If Pinhead enjoys it good on him it's his right. If the law was to change and a baglimit introduced I'm sure that he would abide by that.
________
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA FORUMS (http://www.tv-gossip.com/battlestar-galactica/)

breamnut
09-07-2007, 08:29 PM
when I started fishing some blokes (only a few) could catch 100 a night..if they were still around I dare say they could still do it...those numbers may not be acceptable in this PC and "green" woirld we are all being thrust into however..I can still catch the same numbers now asI did back then. Why is it unfair to keep 20 or so bream..they all get eaten./.what difference does it make if I go about 6 times during winter and no other times during the year and catch 20 each time..that is 120 fish...how about the bloke that goes out 12 times a year and catches 10 fish each time and says..aren"t I a good boy..I don't keep many fish.

Every fish I catch is eaten..none wasted or sold so what is your problem..jealous you cannot catch many perhaps?

As for someone else saying they arew flat out catching 2 or 3 fish now...perhaps you need some lessons on catching bream.

I get sick and tired of sanctimonious attitudes at times...how about some people look at themselves first before criticising others.
trust me if i kept all the bream i caught in the tweed it wouldnt be a very good river system.
i go out in winter and easy get 30 or more fish 28cm to 35 to the fork in a session fishin deep plastics.
this has been a great season on bream and people are taking advantage of it!(which is ok) unless you take more then wat u need.
if u take 20 bream or more is that all u eat every week? just fish?
a bream arount 25cm is only a fish finger so wats he point of keeping that?
fish around 30cm start to get a bit of meat on them and there is no way u need 20 of them.
good on you for not waisting any fish but alot of people would and will take as many fish as they can to show off.
i relised this when i used to be apart of a fishin club>:( which i will never do again.
but guys would catch bag limets of fish. 20 bream,10tailor, and say 10 dart.
they would be there filleting fish for ages and would have to end up giving fish away because they had to much. then when nobody wanted any more fish wat do u think they did! but the unberlievable thing is they would do the same thing the next comp just to get a few more points for the end of year tally!

blaze
09-07-2007, 08:47 PM
seen mention of flathead limits in this thread, in tassie we have a limit of 30 flathead, per person and a scale fish limit of 45 per person which is in possesion limit. We can go and catch 30 flattie in half an hour, they are in plague proportions down here and numbers are not in decline, if any thing improving because of better quallity water flowing into the sea. Hows all this relate to the current thread, Sure put a limit on them but dont make it so resrictive that someone cant go out and legally catch 5 or 6 kg of fish for a feed or 2 (thats a fair few bream), dont jump on me before remember that the guy that goes and catches a couple of good reefies will bring back more than 5-6kg of fish for the table.
cheers
blaze

Black_Rat
09-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Without bag limits it is totally up to the individual on how many they choose to take. Pretty staight forward really. Some might feel taking 20, 40 or what ever number bream in a night is outrageous but if they are all consumed / shared with friends I don't see the issue :) it's there choice. There will come a time when the bream catch is limited.

Damo.

PS: I'm off to the PIN Friday for an overnight trip to chase them ;D (first winter session of the year) If it's a red hot bite i'll choose what I keep, if it's a slow bite i'll also choose what I keep. It's all about choice, what the other two on my boat do I don't give a rats ar$e. I'll just avoid the 2 cm over legal models as they have a tendancy to shrink :-X

mad max
09-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Take what you need.

some of the pictures on this forum of 40, 50+ bream are embarrassing to the fishing community

thatp1g
09-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Only take home what i can eat.

I feel ashamed if there is frozen fish in the fridge.

Just me though.

wombat 100
09-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Those bag limits will be here sooner than you think juju !!

phill

We have bag limits here in NSW but no where near enough people on the ground to enforce the rules.

It will take time but the old school fishermen will die out as I hope do the blokes who target blackfish and fish morning and evening sessions repeatedly bagging 50 -60 each session.

Is it the thrill of the kill or just plain stupidity, maybe a little of both .

alfish
09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
whats the point in freezing any fish, you might as well go to the supermaret.
isn't fishing about pleasure not greed!!

al

alleycat
09-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Bream are very slow growing and can be a great sport fish on light gear and SP, ive been with clubs on trips and many fish just short of legal had thier backs broken several times and then stomped on to edge out an extra half cm, true!!, even sunfish doesnt want a bag limit on bream, well the guy i spoke to didnt, he was one of the old club boys, hopefully they will get replaced over time by others who think a bit deeper.

Lovey80
09-07-2007, 11:36 PM
While I dont eat bream and only ever keep them If I know soeone will eat them IMHO there is not a snowflakes chance in hell theyre on the decline. I call them the cockroaches of the water theyre everywhere especially when you want anything but. I'm with Pinhead if he wants to take 20 and eat 20 then i think thats fine but 70 fish is a bit far surely theyre not all being eaten. As far as whiting goes what would you guys say about taking 40-50 whiting to be used as live bait over a 3 day session??????

Cheers Chris

VoodooChile78
10-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Talking to many locals and others who have fished the same areas over the years have ALL commented on how much the fishing has declined...either we have got worse at fishing over the years...which seems doubtful...or there are not the numbers there once were this is true not only for bream but whiting, crabs, the lot.

Get a group of fisho's together pretty much anywhere you go and you will hear the same thing..."I remember when..."

webby
10-07-2007, 12:51 AM
If there were no other fish in the ocean, im sure you wouldnt knock back a feed of bream.
a few changes to come in the new Inshore Finfish, regarding many of the common sspecies?????? stay tuned.
regards

_Dan_
10-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Interesting subject, in saturdays Q magazine in the paper they had a massive article on the decline of fish stocks and they said that trevally were being fished too heavily and flathead numbers are in massive decline. PLus the other species flogged to nearly death (tuna, roughy, dory etc) I personally think there will be massive changes in the next few years in regards to regulations, its like the netting of tailor and salmon for cat food??? that just makes me sick, how much money do the towns up and down the coast get from rec anglers chasing these sport fish throughout their usually dorment winter??

Enough of that winge, i only keep bream over or around 35cm if i get them, and that is maybe 10-15 once a year. I think differently about it compared to others but if its legal i feel i should keep my mouth shut as they arent doing anything wrong by law. Although morally and sustainably thats a whole different story.

Cheers

Dan

LostNearBribie
10-07-2007, 08:51 AM
There is a story in the latest Modern Fishing about Tassies Bream fishery.
Now classed as the best in Australia.
No commercial fishing of bream, bag limits etc.
All adds up to 2kg+ thumpers.
Some of the thoughts on how old these fish are and how long it would take
to fix what we have done already are sad.
Commercial fishing is not going away in a hurry, so it is up to us not to make it worse.

Excuses of "I bought this boat to catch fish to feed my family etc." don't cut it.
With the price of boats, fuel, insurance, beer etc.
You could have feed a lot of people for a long time just buying fish.

The amount of fish around has dropped massively in my lifetime.
I'm sure there are people a lot older on this site who realise it even more than I do.
It scares me that I might not be able to get my daughter into fishing.
If she never catches anything she will loose interest, not come back etc.

I could dribble for ages and it is just my opinion.
But it does saddens me to see photos of schools of dead fish.

mini696
10-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Every bream I catch goes back... There is no need to keep them when there are tastier fish to have.

mad max
10-07-2007, 09:25 AM
i dont see why people even keep bream under 35cm, its not like there is a decent feed on them anyway.

its bragging rights, showing the neighbours your overflowing esky full of bream.....why not just head out and catch what you NEED, therefore each time you have a feed of bream its fresh.

alleycat
10-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Try and tell many members on this board that snapper fishing in the bay is too heavy and you get all the same nobrainer answers that you get for bream fishing, feed my family and its legal ect ect, i had always hoped decent fisherman shouldnt be forced into doing whats best to save what we love.

Tailortaker
10-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Just a question not a starter, A few poeple are saying that you should only keep 30-35cm and up, but when my 4yr old catches a 23cm bream I let him keep it, is that a problem ? it's legal so why cant he keep it, if he catches a undersize fish I have him release it as I teach him the right thing. So is there a moral problem with this ????
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

mini696
10-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Just a question not a starter, A few poeple are saying that you should only keep 30-35cm and up, but when my 4yr old catches a 23cm bream I let him keep it, is that a problem ? it's legal so why cant he keep it, if he catches a undersize fish I have him release it as I teach him the right thing. So is there a moral problem with this ???? Nothing wrong with that in my mind, because as he gets older he'll start releasing them on his own accord, because his belly is getting bigger, and isn't filled with a small bream.

Half the reason for having the bream size limit so short is to keep kids like yours interested in fishing, and therefore they will spend lots of money in the industry in the years to come.

If I was to keep a bream (which is as rare as hens teeth) it would be either a 23-25cm one to eat straight away as sushimi (smaller because it tastes better raw, and I dont need much when I eat it raw), or a couple of 28-32cm ones for the fire. Any smaller than that and its not worth cooking, any bigger and it tastes horrible.

tigermullet
10-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Good onya Pin - I agree and have been fishing at the Pin since 1976 and have not noticed any decline in numbers and quality of Bream. Properly treated they can be filletted, frozen down and still taste great after many months. Forget all about the recommended time of three months for keeping frozen fish - they are still good up until about one year. I know because we have done it over many seasons. My family eat practically nothing else but bream - they accept Jew and Flathead but only reluctantly.

As for those who say that they can now only catch a couple of bream it might be a matter of technique rather than a decline in overall numbers.

I am not going to mention scores - too embarrassing to be seen to boast or be frowned upon by the C&R set.

Kiktz
10-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Phil will you have a pm

PinHead
10-07-2007, 04:31 PM
i dont see why people even keep bream under 35cm, its not like there is a decent feed on them anyway.

its bragging rights, showing the neighbours your overflowing esky full of bream.....why not just head out and catch what you NEED, therefore each time you have a feed of bream its fresh.

a large bream gets "chewy" in many instances...25 to 30cm are the tastiest.
Next time I will try and catch what I NEED....fish 3 times a week for myself and wife..son and his wife..daughter and her spouse...ok...3 times a week each...a bit of arithmetic...that equates to 18 fishe NEEDED per week...52 weeks in a year...somewhere over 900 fish required...woohoo...that could be a fun trip.

logan_whiting
10-07-2007, 05:06 PM
well i love eating fish why buy it when u can catch it , our family eats fish three times a week so the catch that we caught on the weekend will no last long at all SO THAT WHY I TAKE THEM IF U DON' T want to fine but let those who don't like buying there fish alone sick of this subject , don't back down pinhead im with u

SNAPPERCOFFIN
10-07-2007, 05:35 PM
People are still catching huge numbers of Bream well doesn't that say it all we have no bag limits because there doesn't need to be. Bream stocks are doing well if people are still getting 50 bream a trip. Take whatever you are comfortable with.

breamnut
10-07-2007, 06:47 PM
its ok if all the fish get eatin but there are alot of people who just waist fish!
ive seen so on the tweed cleaning tables.
there is no way that fishing is wat it used to be even though i am only 16 after all those years commercial and recreational fishing there is no way that the fish can keep us with that!
mabey start a toll?

VoodooChile78
10-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Yes that's it!!! How could we be soooo stupid!!! *smacks forehead* There are still the same numbers of fish...we are just getting worse at catching them over time...We need a new thread..."Why experience causes you to catch less fish"

A lot of thought must have gone into coming to that conclusion! I bet those same people think if we run out of money we can just print more!!!!

tigermullet
10-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Voodoo, the only conclusion that I can reach, based on experience, is that the number of bream has not declined. If they had, then how could I be catching the same amount on each outing as I was catching back in 1976?

Experience does not cause one to catch less fish but there are now a lot more people getting involved and many have not been taught how to go about it in a particular area.

My friend is a fine example - he can catch about four bream per outing whilst I catch an order of magnitude above that. Why? He won't believe the evidence placed in front of him and insists on using a stumpy seven foot rod with an egg beater, short trace, wrong sized hooks, heavy line and inappropriate sinkers.

He has heard, you see, that you must always use a very light sinker, preferably placed right on top of the hook and disdains the use of sinkers heavy enough to hit the bottom. That technique is okay up against a rock or mud wall but just will not work in a channel.

When everything else fails he whips out a baitcaster reel and, in a strong current, absolutely refuses to crush the tails of yabbies. He just cannot see that he is doing it all wrong and all those little bottles of aniseed, food dye etc., are not going to make any difference at all.

I won't go on about his technique for catching Jew or Shark which involves a marlin rod and a HUGE overhead reel. That combination hasn't caught anything in the last five years.

I will admit that his gear is much more impressive than my trusty old Alvey side cast but when some large and very stupid fish decides to pick up his bait he has so many levers and buttons to push that his live bait has been swallowed and the hook spat out before he can even think of striking to set the hook.

This has been an interesting thread to read - I always thought that everyone loved to eat bream but it seems that it has been a mistaken belief.

Not that I mind - more for me;D

poppers81
10-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Fire up lads.....everyone has solid points....just love seeing ALL OF MY FELLOW FISHOS STANDING UP FOR THERE CONVICTIONS...just to add to the thread. do i like fresh bream..Hell yeah! do i keep a few Yeah again. Do I let most go? yes! why? Because i agree with catch a release. Should the guy in the boat beside me do what i do. Not even. When in doubt turn to beer.. "rules are rules macca, rules are rules" and if you read between the lines from webby and phil things are already in the process of changing. The days of the "bream reapers" are numbered.

LostNearBribie
10-07-2007, 08:54 PM
"Bream Reapers"
That is gold Poppers.

Tangles
10-07-2007, 08:55 PM
HI All

Just read this thread and from some, its all a bit judgemental, its a free country but with laws to abide by at every level, you do that, well your free in my book to do what your entitled to and enjoy with commonsense and respect to others, AND no - one should have to be made to justify a legal catch (for whatever reason) which seems to be a view expressed here now regularly. Simply put without moralising, your legal, then your legal.

Its simply a question of choice.

On thing im certain of is that reading a lot of threads on this forum for a while, a greater majority of members here are aware of the laws and exercise their own conscience and thats how it should be, its a personal thing and whether it be keeping a legal catch or releasing it, its your choice and irrelevant to others whatever your reasons,

Personally for me, I just like being out on the water and enjoying the scenery and company that goes with that, fish are a very welcome bycatch.

Cheers
mike

Black_Rat
10-07-2007, 09:08 PM
HI All

Just read this thread and from some, its all a bit judgemental, its a free country but with laws to abide by at every level, you do that, well your free in my book to do what your entitled to and enjoy with commonsense and respect to others, AND no - one should have to be made to justify a legal catch (for whatever reason) which seems to be a view expressed here now regularly. Simply put without moralising, your legal, then your legal.

Its simply a question of choice.

On thing im certain of is that reading a lot of threads on this forum for a while, a greater majority of members here are aware of the laws and exercise their own conscience and thats how it should be, its a personal thing and whether it be keeping a legal catch or releasing it, its your choice and irrelevant to others whatever your reasons,

Personally for me, I just like being out on the water and enjoying the scenery and company that goes with that, fish are a very welcome bycatch.

Cheers
mike

Mike,

How's the new rig going ?

Tangles
10-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Damo its going great mate, Bec and I are really enjoying it, hopefully mate we will be up there for first weekend of 1770 with the new rig and catching up.

cheers
mike

Tailortaker
10-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I've taken the origional post off as obviously there's no respect for other poeples opinions at late and I could'nt be bothered defending my beleifs.
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

Black_Rat
10-07-2007, 09:55 PM
quote=Aigutso;649771]Damo its going great mate, Bec and I are really enjoying it, hopefully mate we will be up there for first weekend of 1770 with the new rig and catching up.

cheers
mike[/quote]

I have a spare "queen sized bed" room if you want it ? let me know.

Here is a view from the deck

Tangles
10-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Damo, cheers mate for that, we will let you know soon mate , its sort of a juggling act right now, getting married in Nov, sort of a juggling act right now;D
cheers
Mike

Black_Rat
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Mike I have only one spare room for you and Bec. PM me and it's yours ;) did I mention the views ;D

And the official weigh-in is down the hill ::) ;D ;D ;D

CHAPPY
12-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Re Bream And Bag Limits,
Since I Watched A Tv Show On Fishing And They Mentioned That A Big Blue Nosed Bream Could Be Up To 30 Years Old, For Me, They All Go Back. They Are A Good Fighting Fish For Their Size And On Light Gear Are A Real Challenge But, I Let Them Go. But For Others Taking A Reasonable Amount I See No Wrong With.
How Can We Keep Bagging The Pro Fisherman When Recreational Anglers Can Do Just A Bad With Massive Catches.
There Must Be A Bag Limit On All Species And A Size Limit.
Look How The 70cm Limit On Flathead Has Worked.
Regards Bush Budah

minno
12-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Bream! A toy to play with when there,s nothing else. Come on blokes, the bloody things are everywhere. Can I give you some Minno advice. Try 6 pound line, floating bait,[ thats no sinker ] go to the bait shop and buy some mulletgut, put on a 2\0 bream hook, look for the places that bream love to hang-out, like mored boats, or pontoons, or rocky protected shallow waters and drop it right in front of their faces. This is for the new bream fisho,s. You will catch the biggest bream in less than 3 feet of water. Why! because their lazy and its safe. Thats bream in a nutshell.

All the best.

Minno:)

kingtin
12-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Even I catch 'em...................speaks volumes ;D

kev

minno
12-07-2007, 09:43 PM
;D Go kingtin go. You bloody fisherman.;D ;D

Minno;)

Raesen
12-07-2007, 09:52 PM
God forbid so do I and sometimes clean, fillet and eat them. Bread crumbs, butter and a red (drinking that is). Every thing is right except the red (should be white according to those in the know) who cares I will stick with the red!!!
Cheers
Pete

minno
12-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Sorry mate, but what has that got to do with respecting bream? Its a fish! C\ and R all for it. What is your point?

Minno

Raesen
12-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Sorry mate, but what has that got to do with respecting bream? Its a fish! C\ and R all for it. What is your point?

Minno

Sit there and read all the post from the previous four (thats right four) pages. There's a shit load of bream out there (season I know) and yes some people keep some for a feed.
Just trying to (no I won't go any further) a waste of time!!!
Whats your problem and lighten up a bit.
5 pages about bream for Chr%$#s sake and its aproblem, Hello!!!!>:(

Pistol_P
12-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I cant agree with what some blokes have had to say on this one.
Some blokes have said Bream dont taste good.....:-/
Well let say this depends on where you catch them......In the rivers and estuaries I wouldnt bother taking them home and dont really bother chasing them in these environments.
However off the beach they taste sensational!!.....They are clean and the flesh is up there with any snapper or sweetlip I have ever eaten.

Pete

Raesen
12-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I cant agree with what some blokes have had to say on this one.
Some blokes have said Bream dont taste good.....:-/
Well let say this depends on where you catch them......In the rivers and estuaries I wouldnt bother taking them home and dont really bother chasing them in these environments.
However off the beach they taste sensational!!.....They are clean and the flesh is up there with any snapper or sweetlip I have ever eaten.

Pete

Pete all good and thats what I am trying to say - each to their own as long as its legal. If some ones else has a different opinion GOOD. Thats what makes the world go round.
Just saying dont let the so called masses try and impress their thoughts on me (an individual) who might disagree.
And I stick with what I posted to Minnow - get a life and lighten up. If a fisho cant have a bit of a dig without getting sh#t on I'll have to fish alone or so will all my mates who go fishing with me.
Cheers
Pete

minno
12-07-2007, 11:45 PM
No mate, You have got me all wrong. Its hard with words and people that you dont understand.

Get a life! You need too lighten up.;D Why! cant you catch a bream.;D

Minno;D

minno
12-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Now, Iam being a smart arse. Sorry Reasen, Your all right bloke.

Minno

Gazza
13-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Respect for Bream (any fish) means what??
jmo ,you catch it and treat it in the best possible way , so it tastes great by the time you put it in the pan.

To the 23cms is too small to eat mob , learn-2-fillet properly !! ;D
To Webby and Co. , changing the bag and/or minsize won't do Jack Schitt ,as it's not needed...is it ::)

What will happen is (Webby & Co.) may bring in a bag of say 20 and a size of 25cms , then in a few years , it'll still be the we-can't-catch-any-mob saying they need MORE protection...:'(

So Webby & Co. will "save us again" ,and bring the baglimit down to 5 or so... ::)

jmo ,a small size and unlimited (theoretically) bag ,just goes to prove ....with this specie.....
It ain't broke , and the sky ain't falling.:P

~Johno~
14-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Im suprised at how many people dislike eating bream, i LOVE bream big or small. I fry them up whole, in bread crumbs flour and egg, fry them till they are super crunchy, then pick the flesh off the bone. I rate them up there with any other fish.