PDA

View Full Version : TFPQ seek new identity - did you know?

Shane Boese
09-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Fishing party casts nets wide for lifestyle causes

WHERE you can camp, fish, ride your horse or trail bike are some of the issues that concern one of the country's newest political parties.
They started with a fishing focus, but Fishing Party Queensland is now going through the process of adopting the new name of the Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party.
Airlie Beach businessman Kevin Collins is the chairman.
"This is essentially a new brand, owned by Fishing Party Queensland which has 1200 members," Mr Collins said. "We started out as wholly fishing focused, but other marginalised people who werent being heard started coming to us.

"Campers, four-wheel drive clubs, horse riders, trail bike groups, bushwalkers, there are so many sections of the community that are facing restrictions and access issues.
"These are things like beachfront campgrounds being closed down to whack up a high-rise, and people who cant ride horses in national parks."
"Politicians are forgetting that people have lifestyles to enjoy as well," he said.
"These groups came to us in desperation, because no-one was listening to them, and they werent getting attention from the media."
The party now wields some political clout Federally, and claimed 30,000 votes at the last election.
"We've moved mountains, whereas three years ago you couldn't get the secretary's tea lady to return a phone call," Mr Collins said.
"It's all about votes, and we are now in a position of strength rather than begging for attention.
"We have direct access to senators, and we're in regular discussions with every major political party in the country." Mr Collins said the party outpolled both the Greens and the Democrats from Mackay north. "That was on the back of no profile, no time and no money," Mr Collins said.

Greg P
09-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Good move - well done KC

Shane Boese
09-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I am a TFPQ member and this is the first I have heard of any prospect of changes to TFPQ! As a member I am devastated to find out via media release!

Correct protocol would have at least have had the members notified of the impending changes and given the opportunity to comment and vote upon the proposed changes.

Those of you who are members of TFPQ - has anyone received any form on notification from the Party regarding the changes in the Press release?

Regards Shane Boese

dazza
09-07-2007, 10:53 AM
hi shane,
as i understand this was always a possibility, in the early days this was discussed from time to time as an option, so it is not all that surprising. a move which i believe is a good one, as i see it 4wd, campers etc have been looking for a political voice for a long time, weather this is the right one, i guess time will tell.

i fully agree that members could/should have been notified by e-mail prior to the press release, and that is an issue members need to take up with the state executive
cheers
dazza

seatime
09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
they could have let us know via email, or consulted members. how will this work anyway, do we recieve new membership cards, or do you have to join this new party?
where was the press release published?
looks like my Fishing Party cap & shirt will be collectors items now.

Shane Boese
09-07-2007, 12:15 PM
they could have let us know via email, or consulted members. how will this work anyway, do we recieve new membership cards, or do you have to join this new party?
where was the press release published?
looks like my Fishing Party cap & shirt will be collectors items now.

The Daily Mercury. I understand this is a Mackay Newspaper

Here is the link: http://www.dailymercury.com.au:80/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3740600&thesection=localnews&thesubsection=

Regards,
Shane

Chimo
09-07-2007, 12:19 PM
At last; Long overdue if its going to survive and play a meaningful and worthwhile role

Cheers
Chimo

The Community, Conservation and Fishing Party (Qld Branch) "CCFP" 8-) is a lot more appropriate as it encompases the full range of actions and activities that need to be protected and husbanded for the future.

The issues we perhaps need to consider involve the community, the land, catchments as well as resource utilization and protection.

The practises applied to the land and the catchments as a whole need to be sustainable and profitable for long term community benefit and the environment.

Those using or managing the catchments must consider their impact they make and also consider the off site implications of their actions on the fisheries (as indicators) in the rivers and the sea.

Unless the fishing party, as was, broadens its scope to include things that happen beyond the boat or the bank the potential appeal of the F Party will always be too limited to make a real difference.

If the wider catchment etc is considered and included then the scope becomes inclusive of: (feel free to reorganise and add)

the community (local or wider depending)
sustainable primary agriculture and
secondary industry
employment in all sectors
health
and fisheries and recreation like fishing

Perhaps with a wider scope a renamed party would improve the likelyhood of greater impact and success.

There would certainly be more to attract a larger range and diversity and a greater number of interested people who together may get a bit more done.

My two bobs worth to add to the discussion. ::)

Cheers

Chimo

PADDLES
09-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Agreed, opening the doors to people concerned about all aspects of an outdoor lifestyle and not just fishing is the best thing that TFP could do. It will appeal to a much greater cross section of the community. Top plan Mr KC.

Lovey80
09-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Shane I always said from the age of 16, "I'm not going to vote until there's someone worth voting for". We'll nows the time mate how do I become a member of the new party?

Cheers Chris

GES
09-07-2007, 11:58 PM
I think that amalgamating more interest groups to TFPQ's strength and choosing a more appropriate party name as a result, can only be a good thing.
It adds voting strength to our cause and will put our combined vote well ahead of both, the Greens and the Democrats.
As KC has told us before, TFPQ has shown enough strength, even now, on its own, to have them wanting to talk.
This move will raise some eye-brows and cause some concerned looks among the major parties bean-counters and add to their desire to listen to our recommendations or wishes before making rash decisions that adversely effects our sport.

Good move, I say. Keep us informed KC ...very interesting.

GES

kingtin
10-07-2007, 08:55 AM
I sense internal strife. On the face of it, it seems like a good move, but many "lifestyle supporters" are also anti-fishing.

As an example from the UK: The council had proposed to shut a local park which had a lake which was used by coarse anglers. The park was also frequented by many "retired persons" who walked their dogs, exercised, and generally used it as a meeting place. It also attracted a lot of stay-at-home mums who took their kiddies to the play area there.

The fishos started a lobby group to save the lake and were then approached by other interested parties, such as the local senior citizen's club, looking for support. This raised the lobby group's numbers, their money for the fight, and made them look much more formidable in the eyes of the pollies (likely lost votes).

The lobby group succeeded in keeping the park open but within 3 months, alienated the fishos and got the lake closed to fishing citing litter, and endangerment to wildlife.

This all happened too fast and it was mooted that deals had been done behind closed doors without the fishos knowledge prior to the council's "capitulation".

IOW, some interested parties had used the fishos numbers to their own advantage, whilst at the same time having an agenda to exclude the fishos.

Tread carefully

kev

PADDLES
10-07-2007, 09:30 AM
for the situation you've mentioned kev, i'd doubt whether it would've mattered whether the fisho's got with the old roosters or not. if they got shafted with them, they would definitely have got shafted without them.

anyhoo we're talking about a looby group for public access originally to our queensland coastline, and now it's change to a lobby group for public access to any crown area for sustainable recreational activities, it's a good thing.

Dicko
10-07-2007, 09:42 AM
I see it as a good thing.

Distancing themselves from The fishing party (federal) is a positive.

DR
10-07-2007, 09:59 AM
sounds like a positive move to me..

kingtin
10-07-2007, 10:46 AM
for the situation you've mentioned kev, i'd doubt whether it would've mattered whether the fisho's got with the old roosters or not. if they got shafted with them, they would definitely have got shafted without them.

anyhoo we're talking about a looby group for public access originally to our queensland coastline, and now it's change to a lobby group for public access to any crown area for sustainable recreational activities, it's a good thing.

I'm not saying that it's not a good thing...the more the merrier...........there's strength in numbers. I'm just saying that the rec fishing lobby need to watch their backs. I suppose that would be the case with any minority in a coalition, and if the Party sweeps too wide for membership, by broadening it's manifesto, the rec fishing lobby may well end up as a (sidelined) minority within a wider party.

kev

Chris Ryan
10-07-2007, 11:45 AM
I am sure the executive are lining their ducks up in a row. I would assume (knowing what that makes of me :D ) most party members would be actively watching what is happening too and be starting to garner interest from those non-fisho's we all know in a positive light towards the "lifestyle" nature of the party which now aligns itself with why a lot of people come to QLD and why we all get in a boat or stand on land and flick tackle and bait around all across Australia.

I think this is a positive step to securing the longevity of the Party and making a wider impact at the next election.

Cheers,
Puff

Chris Ryan
10-07-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm off the soapbox now.

Shane Boese
10-07-2007, 07:49 PM

Have been in touch with TFPQ secretary today and he advises that he is more than happy to take calls from concerned members regarding the impending change of name for TFPQ. The process is not yet complete and members will be notified via email once the official paperwork has been completed. He advises that existing memberships will remain in tact and current.

Regards, Shane

FNQCairns
10-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Great idea!! there is a silent majority out there, they need a voice because up till now they have had none, less than none!

But for gods sake take this as the one and only golden opportunity to include the word FAMILY in the title, cannot stress that enough!! Anyone have any idea the value that word has in votes? Golden and true!

cheers fnq

Wally
11-07-2007, 06:13 PM
G,day Shane, wheres bob smith in all this.?

Its good too see that you guys are rallying the troops but don't you think there is still that underlining problem. spondulas?

no money and ya back to the merry go round. this is not a piss take. i am more interested to see how you guys will sort this problem out.

I see it like this, we over here in WA have Recfishwest, a lobby group that is paid/ funded by the government of the day to represent the recreational fisherman. we all know its a toothless tiger, the body can only agree to disagree with outcomes and have some wins for recreational fishing, but if we could fund this lobby group it may be a different story. how do we fund it is the million dollar question. i know how, but its that dreaded licence word

so whats better a self funded recreational fishing group thats employed by the licence trust or a political party that has to rely on party members dipping into their own pocket because recreational fisherman and more to the point industry don't really give a toss. apathy

just my thoughts

wally

Shane Boese
12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
G,day Shane, wheres bob smith in all this.?

wally

Hi Wally

Sorry Shane can't reply to your question as he is out of action for a few days getting a bit of R & R at the PA Hospital. Expect he will be back on board in a few days.

Regards, Toni
(Shane's wife)

Wally
12-07-2007, 05:33 PM
No worries Toni thanks for the reply, hope shane is well, all the best

Wally

Ozwald
17-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Not convinced by the change myself; it seems the "old" Fishing Party Queensland had enough trouble trying to get some action/interest while only concentrating on fishing issues. Now with a much wider range of issues to focus on my concern would be the the efforts for fishing get diluted or distracted by other lifestyle issues. One of the constant criticisms raised here is the apathetic response from the majority of fisho's when it comes to support for issues (myself included in that). Who's to say that other "lifestyle" participants arent also as apathetic as fishos?
I would love to be proved wrong so here's hoping.
Oz