PDA

View Full Version : Extended Drawbar How long?

Craigo
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Looking at making an extended drawbar for my 5.6 plate boat, Going to Fraser in a month or so, Thought I better get my finger out and do something. How long should I try to extend for, I think I can get about 1.5 meters fairly easiliy. That sound about right?

Cheers

Dan5
08-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Mate is it telescopic or just extra long? If making telescopic i made a trailer for a mate and we made the extension about 2.5mtrs longer we used 6mm shs for the outer and 5mm shs for the inner and that was for a 5.2mtr platey.I would go as long as i could especially for beach work.Dan.............

swordie
08-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Craigo
1.5 is plenty i have seen some up to 3mt if they are not fitted properly they sag at the draw bar and nearly hit the sand
Mine is only 1.5 on a 7mt plate boat,when you put your boat on the trailer just make shure every one knows what they have to do

Good luck love FRASER ISLAND

swordie
08-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Craigo
1.5 is plenty i have seen some up to 3mt if they are not fitted properly they sag at the draw bar and nearly hit the sand
Mine is only 1.5 on a 7mt plate boat,when you put your boat on the trailer just make shure every one knows what they have to do

Good luck love FRASER ISLAND

Sorry sent it twice

finding_time
08-07-2007, 08:45 PM
How much do you love your vehicle? My draw bar on my southwind 5.2 is 4m , very good when the gutter is draining! i attach it to my traiker draw bar with 3x u-bolts that i had made at Carol springs at wacol! The draw bar has some packing welded on so it sits outside all the other fitting on theb draw bar.

Longer the better as long as you use a heavy gauge rhs section

Ian

seatime
08-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I had a 2m extended drawbar for the recent comp, that size fitted my drawbar tho, and worked for me at the time.. if possible I'd go as long a drawbar as possible, also depends on the gutter depth, tides etc, etc. have to think about the sag between drawbar & trailer, too long and it'll be an inconienience, too short, it's not worth having!
minimuim of 2m for my 2 cents