PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Boat Show

gawby
08-07-2007, 03:45 PM
This one must have been a blast as no has bagged it yet:-/
I didn't get a chance to get there but would like to know how it went:)

Graeme;)

frankgrimes
08-07-2007, 05:07 PM
I got down there today for a few hours....wasn't bad....some very nice rigs I would have loved to buy!

ashh
08-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I overheard someone in BCF talking about it and they said they werent very impressed...(may not have been a keen fisho tho).
I would have gone for a look, but I had stuff to do to the boat this weekend.

lippa
08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
it was a fairly quiet show
bugger all there to be honest.

cheers

lippa

Chimo
08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
It was not too bad, a bit like the Brisbane Boat Show but with a few Motorhomes, caravans and off road vans thrown in. A bit of tackle too.

Plenty of trailer boats in glass and al so for $6 ea it was a reasonable way to spend a few hours.

Obviously not a patch on Sanctury Cove but then again there were almost as many trailer boats at the GC show without the big stuff or helicopters so I guess you get a bit from them all............when you have stopped learning, your dead; so they say!
Cheers
Chimo

gutzy
08-07-2007, 06:37 PM
nothin special at all , Tackle not discounted , sales reps telling you how to fish and how to spend. Best bit for me was the paul and dougburt beach fishing talk. Helpful blokes who answered all my questions after their talks.

maztez
08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
I was very dissapointed .I reckon it was about half of last years show .Glad I had freebies and we didnt have to pay .
cheers Terry

seatime
08-07-2007, 07:13 PM
so where do you think it should be improved, I wasn't an exhibitor at this show, but I am in the "industry" what do u guys want to see, or hear, or feel at these boat shows in the future???? maybe we can pass on to the manufactures's the missing link that the punters want!

Steve

PinHead
08-07-2007, 07:22 PM
it must be getting harder for dealers to have displays at these shows..the price to exhibit is not cheap and every "buyer" seems to want everything for nothing at these shows.

maztez
08-07-2007, 07:34 PM
I feel for todays companies trying to make a dollar .My son Brett ,grandson Adam and myself went along saturday to check out tinny pricings etc.One dealer said they dont bring them to these shows as they only make 50 bucks from sale of a tinny and it costs them 20k to be a part .To my way of thinking if you are trying to attract customers you make it as interesting and as cheap as possible .
I know these dealers dont have imput into door charges but surely the promoter must see the benefit of more visitors .Im convinced now that dealing direct at the dealers yards will be the go ...enough of my ramblings one day I might be able to explain it a bit better,
cheers Terry

seatime
08-07-2007, 07:36 PM
pinhead, having a stand at these shows costs many K's, and I'm yet to see the dividends of running one. The concept is great, but as u say the buyer wants discounts that aren't really recognizable in a competitive market. shows are more of a platform for manufacturers and distributer's, than a discount arena.

Spaniard_King
08-07-2007, 08:45 PM
IMO the show will not go ahead next year!

Exhibitors were significantly less this year and if the trend continues we will all be going to see more spas and saunas:P

I will be waiting to hear a good report before I go next year... very dissapointed>:(

And not one chandlery:-/

Brett1907
08-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I didn't go to this one, but others I have been to were all dissapointing. They are advertised as 'Boat & Tackle' shows, but there are bugger all tackle displays. And like Pinhead says, everyone wants something for nothing.

I think we are all getting a bit disallusioned with the thing. I recently rang around getting prices for a Daiwa Sol, the range was $279.00 up to $512.00 for the exact same reel. The lowest price was from Adelaide, but the rest were from the Gold Coast. I think I spoke to close to a dozen stores and there were two locally that were only $10 more than the lowest.
With mark ups of this magnitude it is not surprising we expect there to be deals to be had at the shows.

I think these shows have to be reasonably priced for both the displayers and for the visitors. There wasn't enough advertising for the event, I only became aware of it during the week. There needs to be good representation by a broad range of the industry, not just one brand or store. The only way to do that is make it worth it for the displayers, cheaper entry.

Brett

PS I may be off the mark & my ideas may not be financially viable, but its just MHO.

TheSaint
08-07-2007, 08:54 PM
It was crap the last 2 years i went & sounds no different this year.

seatime
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
let the BIAQ know how dissatisfied you are with the GC show!! they may cater the boat shopping public next time.

seabug
08-07-2007, 09:39 PM
I found Brett1907's comment about advertising interesting.

I went to the Melb. boat show at Jeff's Shed and had a great day out.

I had intended to only stay for about 2 hrs but stayed 6.5hrs.

There was a wide variety of boats to cover all types of boating.And the acessories,winches etc to customise a boat.

As well as tackle shops and talks on electronics ,flyfishing and also cooking demo's for those with that interest.

I went on the first day and there were more staff on the stands than there were visitors.

This was great for those that wanted to ask questions as you got one on one .

I found that the staff were really ready to give time to visitors,and if they did not know the answers they got someone who did.

I do not know how the attendance figures went for the weekend,but hope it was the usual crush.

I do not know how they would get better attendance on the first day.

But if they could it would help with the costs.

Regards
seabug

dunmears
09-07-2007, 06:52 AM
I went along to the " show"on Sunday to have a look at the sounder/gps display as I've had major problems with two brand new Humminbird sounders and decided to have a look at other brands . I looked everywhere and the only "electronics" they had at the show were a few Humminbird's at a tackle display. I will never go again, a complete waste of time.

seabug
09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I went along to the " show"on Sunday to have a look at the sounder/gps display as I've had major problems with two brand new Humminbird sounders and decided to have a look at other brands . I looked everywhere and the only "electronics" they had at the show were a few Humminbird's at a tackle display. I will never go again, a complete waste of time.

Oops,:-[ :-[
I replied thinking dunmears had been to Melb.

Regards
seabug

bobp
09-07-2007, 12:12 PM
let the BIAQ know how dissatisfied you are with the GC show!! they may cater the boat shopping public next time.
hi gelsec
i dont think that the BIAQ had any thing to do with this show .
they were looking into doing there own show on the coast in copertition to the one that was held on the weekend

bob

tommyl
09-07-2007, 03:48 PM
hey gawby
I headed down there yesterday and I thought it was pretty good, some nice boats and picked up a bargain deal on a rod and reel. There was alot more to look at then the Brisbane Boat show, wall to wall boats gets a bit boring

PinHead
09-07-2007, 07:50 PM
hey gawby
I headed down there yesterday and I thought it was pretty good, some nice boats and picked up a bargain deal on a rod and reel. There was alot more to look at then the Brisbane Boat show, wall to wall boats gets a bit boring

LOL..isn't that what a boat show is for??

Chris Ryan
09-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Pinhead 1 - Tommyl 0

:d

TheSaint
10-07-2007, 07:38 AM
There was alot more to look at then the Brisbane Boat show, wall to wall boats gets a bit boring

That's a big call mate! I think the brisbane boat show & the Tinnie & tackle show are worth the coin but the GC one is just poor.. plus i love wall to wall boats never get sick of dreaming..

tommyl
10-07-2007, 08:40 AM
sorry Pinhead, if I just wanted to look at boats and nothing more I would go to a dealers yard and look at his line up of boats. If I am paying $$ for entry I expect a bit more, as I was trying to say to there was more there than just boats

JB
10-07-2007, 12:44 PM
too many boat shows... thats ur problem. Sanc cove, brisbane, tinny n tackle, this one, etc ... its riddiculous, when are they going to realise SEQ only needs 1 boat show anually.

Jas

stevez
10-07-2007, 02:13 PM
JB, you hit the nail on the head. too many shows. seems like there's one every few weeks, whats with that? Now I read there is another one on the Gold Coast at Carrara around Indy time?? who wants to go waddle through the mud at Carrara stadium to look at more boats, next there will be a christmas boat show....

Chimo
10-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Without prejudice, may I ask;

"Is the glass half full or half empty?;)

Surely none of us could claim that we no longer learn anything through attending the various shows we frequent? :-/

If this thought be wrong, please add your name to a list on a thread you start so we may all recognize who amongst us is (are) the keeper of all knowledge! ::)

Thanksyou, on behalf of those of us who feel that there is yet more to learn. :-*

Cheers
Chimo