PDA

View Full Version : i must get broadband

mudrunner
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
this dial up is so slow. i cant even research my posts. sorry to you who read the original post. i got the wrong thread as i couldnt do a search cause of the dial up....

nigelr
08-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Hiya spinner.
Check out Internode dial-up. Best value 512 going. Nodephone will give you 18c national calls as well.
We signed up couple months ago after several years of Optus dial-up rubbish.
We are rapped in it.
Cheers.

shaman
08-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah I know, I've been talking to the different providors and am just getting more confused................ Does anybody know of any decent deals around $30-$40 per mth

Nigelr, I'll ring em.

charleville
08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Best value 512 going.

512 kBit/s will get ya going for faster downloads of printed stuff like Ausfish but you won't get the full benefits of broaband until you go for the higher speeds.

I have 17 Mbit/s cable broadband with unlimited downloads (drops back in speed after 10 GBytes but I have never experienced that). It is just fast enough for me on downloading things like Youtube videos. I will be happier when I can get faster speeds again.

Being able to watch battlefield videos in Iraq or Afghanistan shot by soldiers with a camera on their helmet or night attacks from Apache strike helicopters or perhaps re-runs of ABC TV current affairs programs takes you to a new level of functionality that is only possible with a good fast broadband.

Unfortunately, higher speed = higher $ ........but you knew that. ;)

However, being able to have long video chats with my son in Melbourne where he shows off his latest dental work or his latest jacket or just shows us the fruit on his backyard apple and fig trees when in season makes his mother very happy and easily justifies the extra cost of a good speed of broadband in my household.

ashh
08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
We went with AAPT around 3 years ago and havent looked back. If you look on there website they have different bundle deals to suit your budget. We went with the 512k deal and have the home phone and an extra mobile phone thrown in (for the missus). Broadband internet, home phone and missus mobile all on the one bill and is usually around the $50 mark a month.
Plenty of good deals out there, just find the right one for you, but just being on broadband will make your internet experience a whole lot better

seatime
08-07-2007, 08:15 PM
ashh, have to look at that deal, $50/month for a bundle is very cheap! currently paying $50/month for the high speed BB with 1mb download alone, + phone + mobile r extra, ( tho that's a business plan, tax!!!)

Eagle
08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
I changed from Optus 'cos they were far too expensive and couldn't provide Broardband. We have to wait until someone dies or a new port becomes available at the phone exchange (?), whichever one comes sooner. I dropped Optus 'cos I couldn't cope with the Indians trying to sound like us and as for their so-called accent. AAARGH!!! I had to get them to repeat almost every word so I could understand them. Well no more of that rubish. I am now with a company that employs Australians proper. I still have to wait for a broadband port but I can wait. I cant afford to lash out on satellite so I will accept what I can get. Anything is better than a mob on mumbling Indians when you need expert service and need it quickly.
Eagle

ashh
08-07-2007, 11:02 PM
ashh, have to look at that deal, $50/month for a bundle is very cheap! currently paying $50/month for the high speed BB with 1mb download alone, + phone + mobile r extra, ( tho that's a business plan, tax!!!)

yeah we dont use the home phone too much as my mobile phone is on a business plan so we use that for most of our phone calls. The missus doesn't use her mobile too much (good girl) so that also keeps costs down.
I just looked at the aapt bundles and they dont seem to have the deal with the mobile phone....I think it was part of the deal to lure us away from our previous service provider.
Anyways they do 512k speed connection with 12000MB downloads p/month (they dont charge if you go over either, just throttle your speed back to 56k untill the end of that month, which we find rarely happens and we do a bit of downloading), get a free modem and bundled with the home phone, which is going for $39 p/month with no lock in contracts which still seems a pretty good deal.
heres the page to look at the bundles etc if you were interested. HTH

https://home.aapt.com.au/At_home/Internet/

the gecko
09-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Ive just upgraded to adsl2, whoa mama, thats fast! I just downloaded a 25mg file in about 12 secs. $50/mth with onthenet if your on the GC.

whirlpool.net >broadband choice, is a handy feature to check the best deal on isp in your area.

ANdrew

roydsy
09-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Make up your minds..... http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au

best independent broadband forum

By the way, I am with aaNet 8MB 20 gig TR2 plan and loving it.