PDA

View Full Version : Thats not right, is it? whats your thoughts

Mercury16
08-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey everyone,
ive seen this boat alot on the water, its got 2 fibreglass hulls but only one motor which is mounted on the left hull. Shouldnt it be in the centre or have 2 outboards ? its a 60hp merc.
just want to hear what you think of it.

cheers Peter

ashh
08-07-2007, 11:15 AM
its a bit hard to tell from that angle but yeah if that was the case you would think it would be mounted in the centre.
maybe hes still saving for the other motor.
in the last pic it looks like hes giveing you the birdy lol

Dezzer
08-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Yep, definitely coppin the finger there mate.
I'm sure theres a reason, I don't think he forgot.
Looks a bit silly but for sneaking out for a fish in an estuary it wouldn't really matter.

Cheers

Kerry
08-07-2007, 12:07 PM
A single engine on a Cat that does not have a central fixing point has to go on the port (left) hull as the weight will then counter the torque.

If a single engine was mounted on the stb hull then the weight and torque would act together with the hull running very lop sided.

Mercury16
08-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I dont see how he could have seen me as i was in my house across the road from the water and i had to zoom in to get a close shot. ahh well the finger doesnt worry me.

BM
08-07-2007, 12:17 PM
A number of the Webster twinfisher (twin hull) models are powered by a single engine, mounted on the port side with the driver seated on the RHS to counterbalance the weight.

Been around for a few yrs now.

Cheers

Sailing Breeze
08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
the boat looks like a markham whaler . The early models ( 1980 ish) had the motor in the centre between the hulls and then changed the design to putting the motor on the port side to counter ballance the drivers weight on the stb.

Mercury16
08-07-2007, 12:29 PM
I was looking at the images full screen but with the combination of the camera zoomed in and my unsteady hand it was too blury to see what type of boat it was. But he definatly isnt giving me the finger he is reaching for the tip of his rod. Phew! heheh
if he goes past again i'll try and see the brand.

Sailing Breeze
08-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I put it through my photo editing program and it definitely looks like the bird to me........ :-)

Mercury16
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
you can see the rod going across his chest and he has a closed fist

bushbeachboy
08-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Looks like a Markham Whaler. They used to make a small cat with single engine mounted on the port side.

bj
08-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Had a 3.8m Markham Whaler around 1980 with a single 30hp Mariner motor which was mounted in the middle as normal. Brillant little boat in choppy water but in smooth calm water had a very bad case of cavitation ,tried every means possible to improve it but nothing worked. Markham then replaced it with the motor mounted on the port side which improved things a lot as I understand it. The idea was to run a cat with one motor & having it mounted on the port side was the most successful way to do it at that time. Saw my old Whaler on the water about two years ago still going strong by the look of it & the same motor.

on-one
08-07-2007, 07:47 PM
when I was looking at a single engined shark cat I was told it wouldn't be as efficient as two smaller engines as the single sits where the water coming off the two hulls meet. I think it's as bj suggests an attempt to get the prop running in cleaner water