PDA

View Full Version : Good barra baitcasting rod?

Mudguard 92
07-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Hey guys,
I bought a Shimano Curado 200DPV and an Ian Miller Bass Raider rod last weekend. I need to buy another rod in the coming weeks for bigger barra. I was thinking about just buying another Ian Miller Raider rod but in one of the barra ones, anyone got 1 of these or had any experience with them? I want something that is pretty good to cast, also id like to hear what rod you use for the same purpose.

Cheers - James

Horse
08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I looked at the Raiders but went to a T-Curve. Its a great rod with a lot of pulling power but can still cast fairly light lures. Some of the Pfluegers look OK for the price

Neil

NormC
08-07-2007, 06:47 PM
James, I have an Ian Miller Raider series Barra Magnum that I use with Curado for barra. Great set up and at the price ($100 to $120), the Barra Magnum is a great rod and is well balanced with the Curado.
I also have a Bass Raider that I use with a Citica.

My wife uses a Penn Pinpoint Tournament rod with a Curado. Also a good set up and a similar price to the Raider series.

Dan5
08-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Get a loomis GL2,GL3 mate either of these rod's a perfect for your curado you won't get better trust me.Dan........

TheSaint
08-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Mate I own Dam Raider BC matched with Daiwa Alphas 103 & it handles everything from bass to big jewies! It casts a mile & loads up great!! You can't go wrong with one of thoses.. Its my pick..

The Dam Raider is rated for use with 3-8 kilo line and 10-20 gram lures and features Fuji's New Concept Alconite guides and tip, Fuji exposed blank trigger grip reel seat, and cork grips. It also features a plastic collar to prevent the locking foregrip from being over-tightened and splitting the cork. Designed for use with Squidgies, spinnerbaits and hard-bodies minnows in dam fishing, or estuaries and some light bluewater situations

mad max
08-07-2007, 09:27 PM
t curve has a 6-10kg and 8-10kg sticks which are sick....nice big guides so no hassles with the leader knots either that or flueger make a 4-7kg which is a nice stick, alconite guides, responsive blank.

Mudguard 92
08-07-2007, 10:15 PM
James, I have an Ian Miller Raider series Barra Magnum that I use with Curado for barra. Great set up and at the price ($100 to $120), the Barra Magnum is a great rod and is well balanced with the Curado.
I also have a Bass Raider that I use with a Citica.

My wife uses a Penn Pinpoint Tournament rod with a Curado. Also a good set up and a similar price to the Raider series.
Ok thanks guys. Norm, was there any reason you chose the "Barra magnum" over the other Barra Raiders? Like Impoundment etc. What is one of the heaviest lures you have put on her?

Thanks Mate - James

Mudguard 92
08-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Get a loomis GL2,GL3 mate either of these rod's a perfect for your curado you won't get better trust me.Dan........
Hi dan,
Hmm..I already spent about $500 on this set up, dont really wanna spend another $250-$300 on another rod. Sounds good though.

James

Steve B
08-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Dans right, spend the money on a TOP quality rod and you will never go back to the factory models (even though loomis are top line in factory built rods)

IMHO I have custom made EGRELL rods for Barra, They made all other rods look ordinary (including Loomis...sorry Dan!) the 8-10 kg rod is as light and has the feel of a 2-3 kg rod. easy to cast all day. When you hook big barra then they have a magic feel and power to burn!!

You said you didnt want to spend any more money...welcome to fishing, the spending never stops:D

Buy quality, you wont regret it !!.

cheers steve.

Mudguard 92
09-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Dans right, spend the money on a TOP quality rod and you will never go back to the factory models (even though loomis are top line in factory built rods)

IMHO I have custom made EGRELL rods for Barra, They made all other rods look ordinary (including Loomis...sorry Dan!) the 8-10 kg rod is as light and has the feel of a 2-3 kg rod. easy to cast all day. When you hook big barra then they have a magic feel and power to burn!!

You said you didnt want to spend any more money...welcome to fishing, the spending never stops:D

Buy quality, you wont regret it !!.

cheers steve.
Ok - Thanks steve, what exactly is "custom made'? and how much did yours cost?

James

PJ
09-07-2007, 04:29 PM
G'day James,

I have the same reel and I'm very happy with it. I use it mainly on a G. Loomis CR665 GL3 rod and it makes for a great outfit I can cast all day. I also use it on a Strudwick Hardbaitz 4-6 kg rod which the reel matches beautifully. I got this rod at the mart in '06 when they had a 50% off sale and picked it up for $150.

PJ

Mudguard 92
09-07-2007, 04:55 PM
G'day James,

I have the same reel and I'm very happy with it. I use it mainly on a G. Loomis CR665 GL3 rod and it makes for a great outfit I can cast all day. I also use it on a Strudwick Hardbaitz 4-6 kg rod which the reel matches beautifully. I got this rod at the mart in '06 when they had a 50% off sale and picked it up for $150.

PJ
Ok thanks mate - I dont think ill be buying a G. Loomis, as good as they sound i blew all my money on this rod and reel. My budget on the new rod is $100 - $200 Max..

James

swano
09-07-2007, 05:12 PM
g,day james
lots of good advice above for you to ponder , are you targeting barra in the dams or salt cause it will make a bit of difference in the weapon you chose to use . the penn pinpoint rods are unbeatable for the price $100 or less and they make six or more models .
cheers swano

ps sent you a pm

Mudguard 92
09-07-2007, 05:20 PM
g,day james
lots of good advice above for you to ponder , are you targeting barra in the dams or salt cause it will make a bit of difference in the weapon you chose to use . the penn pinpoint rods are unbeatable for the price $100 or less and they make six or more models .
cheers swano

ps sent you a pm
Hey swano - im targeting them in the dams, mostly in Awoonga.

James

trev1
09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
have a look at the Berkeley Dropshot series. I have 1 in a spin rod and I'm rapt. I've used it for barra in faust (I live at the dam) . I checked out the baitcasters the other day and want one. ( unfortunately minister of finance says 20+ rods is enough.)

Mudguard 92
09-07-2007, 07:54 PM
have a look at the Berkeley Dropshot series. I have 1 in a spin rod and I'm rapt. I've used it for barra in faust (I live at the dam) . I checked out the baitcasters the other day and want one. ( unfortunately minister of finance says 20+ rods is enough.)
Haha - ok ill have a look, thanks.

James

Steve B
09-07-2007, 08:02 PM
James,

The fellas have given you the best choice in your budget range. Pinnpoint, Shimano raiders and Berkley dropshot. All excellent rods for the money. If you could really stretch you budget a little go the T-curve. IMHO they are slightly better than the others. Trev is on the money with the dropshot range. I bought one (15-30kg) for offshore work and cant fault it at all. nice and light and very strong. I imagine the barra range would be the same.

Regarding your question about custom rods. (someone correct me if I am wrong please!) They are built by professional rod builders using the highest quality blanks (higher modulus graphite), guides, bindings, corks fittings and everything. Where as mass produced rods are manufactured and assembled overseas in factories using lesser quality blanks and bits and pieces, usually in Asian countries. This is why they are cheaper. Bit like Hyundai cars Vs Ferrari!! A Hyundai will do the job OK...but you would rather a Ferarri:D

The Egrell range is about $450.00 give or take. Worth every penny to me when i have a potential fish of a lifetime on the other end.!:D

cheers steve

Mudguard 92
09-07-2007, 08:30 PM
James,

The fellas have given you the best choice in your budget range. Pinnpoint, Shimano raiders and Berkley dropshot. All excellent rods for the money. If you could really stretch you budget a little go the T-curve. IMHO they are slightly better than the others. Trev is on the money with the dropshot range. I bought one (15-30kg) for offshore work and cant fault it at all. nice and light and very strong. I imagine the barra range would be the same.

Regarding your question about custom rods. (someone correct me if I am wrong please!) They are built by professional rod builders using the highest quality blanks (higher modulus graphite), guides, bindings, corks fittings and everything. Where as mass produced rods are manufactured and assembled overseas in factories using lesser quality blanks and bits and pieces, usually in Asian countries. This is why they are cheaper. Bit like Hyundai cars Vs Ferrari!! A Hyundai will do the job OK...but you would rather a Ferarri:D

The Egrell range is about $450.00 give or take. Worth every penny to me when i have a potential fish of a lifetime on the other end.!:D

cheers steve
Hmm - thanks steve, i see some t-curve tournaments advertised for $199, is that the ones you were thinking of? What do you think makes them better the other ones suggested? ;D

Thanks - James

Steve B
09-07-2007, 08:54 PM
James,

Had a raider and a T-curve. T-Curve cast better and had more power thru mid/lower sections of the rod for fighting bigger fish. Thats about it. Probably a fraction lighter too. Probably a better blank. designed by same bloke, Ian Miller.

cheers steve

Mudguard 92
09-07-2007, 09:08 PM
James,

Had a raider and a T-curve. T-Curve cast better and had more power thru mid/lower sections of the rod for fighting bigger fish. Thats about it. Probably a fraction lighter too. Probably a better blank. designed by same bloke, Ian Miller.

cheers steve
Hmm ok thanks steve - was yours the tournament series, and what model? I gotta go now, first day back at school tomorrow "cant have a late night". ;D :'(

Thanks for your help - James

mad max
09-07-2007, 09:11 PM
the custom made rods aren't necessarily made using the highest quality blanks. you often need to chose which blank you want, and then pay for it, and then the rest, so if you're not familiar with blanks etc then id probly steer clear of that...also sometimes you dont even get to feel what the rods like in your hand complete before you have paid for it and are using it....i dont know about you guys but i like to feel before i pay the money

Steve B
09-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Mad Max,

Sorry mate I should have worded my resonse better. The custom made E Grell rods I was talking about wern't actually 'custom made' for me. Its just a term used to describe rods hand built by the professional rod maker him/herself, and not a mass factory produced rod. Most professional rod builders have a small but specific range of rods to chose from to suit whatever fishing style you like. Generally they are well field tested first. You can check them out at most genuine tackle shops that sell top line fishing gear. (so you can rule out KMart, Big W, ##### and BCF;) )

hope that clears it up a bit, If anyone can add or correct me please do so.:D

cheers steve

Lovey80
09-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Steve sounds close to me..... not trying to start a whole new thread either. My opinion of a custom rod is similar but may also invole you chosing your blank and telling the rod builder how YOU want the rod built. G-Loomis sell blanks that you can get made up how you want for example.

I hope i havent repeated or misread the post.

P.S. I just bought the t-Curve 6-10kg Barra. Also have a Rack raider for the smaller stuff like bream. I haven't caught a barra on it yet but I think the T-curve feels great and am suprised how well it casts the smaller placcies.

Cheers Chris

Mudguard 92
10-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Steve sounds close to me..... not trying to start a whole new thread either. My opinion of a custom rod is similar but may also invole you chosing your blank and telling the rod builder how YOU want the rod built. G-Loomis sell blanks that you can get made up how you want for example.

I hope i havent repeated or misread the post.

P.S. I just bought the t-Curve 6-10kg Barra. Also have a Rack raider for the smaller stuff like bream. I haven't caught a barra on it yet but I think the T-curve feels great and am suprised how well it casts the smaller placcies.

Cheers Chris
Ok thanks Chris. Is it a t-curve tournament? Where abouts did you buy it from and how much did it set you back?

Thanks - James

Steve B
10-07-2007, 10:17 AM
James, yeah it was the t-curve tournament, your price $199. sounds good. That will be an excellent rod for the Barra. your in Bundy aren't you?? if so the guys at Salty's will sort you out.

Chris, your right about the custom built thing. I think I might have my terminology mixed up a bit! I was probably looking for a word to describe pro built rods somewhere between custom built ( specifically to customer design) and a mass factory produced rod from an asian factory:D

I have to agree with max, If I am fork out the folding stuff, I like to have a good feel of the rod first. mabey even a test drive!!:D

Sorry to hijack your thread James. I'll leave now!

cheers steve

Mudguard 92
10-07-2007, 07:18 PM
James, yeah it was the t-curve tournament, your price $199. sounds good. That will be an excellent rod for the Barra. your in Bundy aren't you?? if so the guys at Salty's will sort you out.

Chris, your right about the custom built thing. I think I might have my terminology mixed up a bit! I was probably looking for a word to describe pro built rods somewhere between custom built ( specifically to customer design) and a mass factory produced rod from an asian factory:D

I have to agree with max, If I am fork out the folding stuff, I like to have a good feel of the rod first. mabey even a test drive!!:D

Sorry to hijack your thread James. I'll leave now!

cheers steve
Hey steve,
The price of $199 was a price off the Mo Tackle website, it should be somewhere around that in the shops...I dont live in bundy - but that is where i will be getting it from. I dont think it is Saltys anymore...it has changed to Tackle World. We went there first to findout about baitcasters, but they werent very helpful. There is a new BCF in Bundaberg - opend in the last month or so i think. So we went there and they were very helpful - so i bought my setup from them. I dono we might give Tackle World another go when I buy my new rod but most likely we will just go to BCF..

Thanks for all your help - James