PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Boat Ramp Drop Off - Beware 2wd & Heavy Boats

SeekingBarradise
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi we just got back from lovely Awoonga and found that the main boat ramp has about 1.5m to go until the back wheels of our car would be in the mud & over a drop off. Just letting people know who travel thousands of km's to get to Awoonga as nobody has mentioned this and it was a surprise for us to see on the wknd. We had a backup 4wd come down to the ramp in case we had trouble but got out ok without putting the trailer all the way in to the mud.

If you have a low 2wd and a heavy boat/long trailer where you have to back the back wheels of your car in to the water it could be challenging if your boat tyres are way back in the mud. If the dam goes down approx another 1.5m the back wheels of the cars will be in the mud. We could be wrong and the concrete could just be covered in mud - but it looks like the ramp has come to it's end.

The other ramp probably comes in to it's own from now on but it's not for public use since the wall has been raised etc. We have heard the gawb does not want to maintain 2 ramps which is fair enough for sure as they have provided a fantastic barra fishery for all of us which is great. NO complaints here just letting people know the current situation as many travel thousands of km's to fish a fantastic dam.

Any helpful feedback from locals is welcome. We have attached some pics where you should be able to see the line where the concrete seems to end which is about 1.5 below the water line. I'm pointing at the tyre marks in the mud.

Best of luck in your fishing trips. Cheers Lyndon.:)

TinarooTriumph
06-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Great tip there Lyndon! That could spell heartbreak for those Bris Vagian's that make the long trip up and arn't aware of a problem like that. A few troublesome ramps up here... theres not even a ramp at Koombooloomba... bit of a challenge.

Great pic's aswell mate... conditions looks sweeeeeeet! Get amongst any?

Cheers

Theo.

mylestom
06-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi we just got back from lovely Awoonga and found that the main boat ramp has about 1.5m to go until the back wheels of our car would be in the mud & over a drop off. Just letting people know who travel thousands of km's to get to Awoonga as nobody has mentioned this and it was a surprise for us to see on the wknd. We had a backup 4wd come down to the ramp in case we had trouble but got out ok without putting the trailer all the way in to the mud.

If you have a low 2wd and a heavy boat/long trailer where you have to back the back wheels of your car in to the water it could be challenging if your boat tyres are way back in the mud. If the dam goes down approx another 1.5m the back wheels of the cars will be in the mud. We could be wrong and the concrete could just be covered in mud - but it looks like the ramp has come to it's end.

The other ramp probably comes in to it's own from now on but it's not for public use since the wall has been raised etc. We have heard the gawb does not want to maintain 2 ramps which is fair enough for sure as they have provided a fantastic barra fishery for all of us which is great. NO complaints here just letting people know the current situation as many travel thousands of km's to fish a fantastic dam.

Any helpful feedback from locals is welcome. We have attached some pics where you should be able to see the line where the concrete seems to end which is about 1.5 below the water line. I'm pointing at the tyre marks in the mud.

Best of luck in your fishing trips. Cheers Lyndon.:)

Shh!

Didn't you know that your not allowed to mention the other ramp.

Yeah heard all the excuses, more cost, not up to standard.

But its ok for a commercial enterprise to utilise with the inherent Public Liability issues.

Guess I will get a blast from someone again.

But a solution needs to be found and GAWB, just turns a blind eye.

Yes they have spent lots of money and no they are not a charity.

However in their setup charter it did include supply public amenities at the Lake.

Can't understand why a commercial enterprise can utilise a ramp that is not safe but no one else can?

Trevor

Feral
06-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Oh well, bank launching at dams is nothing new. Nor is skull dragging the boat up on the bank before winching it onto the trailer. Its just a part of life with dam fishing.

Generally though at most dams once it gets to be a problem they just start dumping gravel to extend the ramp. Being as Awoonga is a biggie for tourism etc maybe they might do something like the Spit at Somerset (I think thats where I saw it anyway). Have portable concrete blocks, and just keep adding more as the water gets lower. (Pick em up from the top and add them to the bottom as the water drops, replacing the top one with gravel)

SeekingBarradise
07-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi Theo we didn't see a fish in the whole camp for the whole weekend. Only one in the fish bin which was reported to be floating not caught by anyone etc not sure if it liked the cold or was poorly released.

Every boat in the camp worked every bay in Awoonga and the fish beat all of us this weekend - water temp was the coldest i've seen up there around 17-19 degrees. The water was so clear fish could see you miles away - even with arm busting long casts etc. They always field a good team do team barra!! Didn't see any locals out either which is not a good sign.

Anyway that resulted in more camp time and we met some great aussies travelling around OZ. It was cold and scotch came in handy!!

Trev & Feral thanks for your ideas. I'm sure something will be done - no stress just yet but if the water keeps going down there will be. Blocks or gravel are 2 options like the southern dams that are low etc.

All the best guys cheers lyndon.

Fitzy
10-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Some great information there Lyndon. I'm sure you've saved many folks an embarrassing problem. Well done.

Cheers,

fitzy..

barkers creek
18-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Didn't see any locals out either which is not a good sign.

yer im a local there just no going few have been cought on the troll over the old river system and i herd 1 on a fizzer witch is hard to belivev u wouldnt think they would be botherd but yer there still a bit of action ...better lack next time

SeekingBarradise
25-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has heard of any solutions regarding the boat ramp before the summer comps/crowds start lining up 100+ boats again etc?

Any plans for Gravel or concrete for the public ramp?

Not sure if this is correct = is it true that all boats entered in fishing comps this year will have to use the public ramp? and not the hire boat ramp like they did last year! This would put about 150 boats/cars & trailers in the one ramp and with 50+ boats coming in at the same time. If this is true there won't be much serenity at the ramp!!!

No stress here ok - just want to know what is going, on so if somebody can confirm anything your help would be appreciated.

Thanks Lyndon.

bishop
30-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Spoke to the GAWB today and they are planning to undertake some work on the public ramp in the next week or so due to the drop off. They were no committal on the type of repairs/extension, but gravel was mentioned as a short term solution in the next week or so.

Regards
Earl

catfishkid
03-08-2007, 10:23 PM
I visited Awoonga for the first time on 30/7 and my trailer was well off the end of the ramp.This is a truly beautiful place shame all the fish i saw would not co-operate.water temp was between 16 and 17 degrees for th most part.As for the ramp it wont be very long at all until your back wheels are in the mud.

Cheers Craig:)

mylestom
06-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Spoke to the GAWB today and they are planning to undertake some work on the public ramp in the next week or so due to the drop off. They were no committal on the type of repairs/extension, but gravel was mentioned as a short term solution in the next week or so.

Regards
Earl

The answer is very simple,

Open the old ramp, good enough for a commercial enterprise, but not for the amateur angler.

Makes you wonder, they say that the old ramp is not in good enough repair.

How would a commercial enterprise, ie BOAT HIRE, get Public Liability insurance, if that was the case.

Just think that they don't want us there.

Trevor

bishop
07-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Went for a fish on Saturday afternoon and gravel has been placed at the end of the ramp. I only have a 2WD car and had no issues.

Fishing report - nothing except for a couple of dead barra and a number of dead catfish. It takes a lot to knock the catfish over so I’m wondering if the dam has rolled?

SeekingBarradise
21-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi guys i'm just touching base to see how the 2wd cars are going with a heavy boat at the ramp?

Are the back wheels in the mud/gravel yet?
Is there much of a drop off?

Will be up there in a week or so with a light 2wd ute and heavy boat etc.
Will i need to get a fellow fisho/camper to put the boat in and out?

Any word on the other ramp? Just want to be prepared thats all - help appreciated.

Cheers Lyndon & kel

Awoonga
22-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Kel, you will notice the difference... Just a bit They have now put a better base down....... it seems like it will last the next couple of weeks.....You should have no problems ....The other ramp ? Yes you can use it....if you have a disability permit on your car