PDA

View Full Version : Re painting/gel coating old fibreglass boat

oldie
06-07-2007, 11:04 AM
G'day Ausfish crew,
after a new re furbishment the old girl is looking close to done, she doesnt really need a full gel coat but with the new transom was keen to blend it in, i am definately painting top deck its only runabout but at present grey over white with maroon pin striping,
i was keen to go for another grey and was wondering if someone could suggest best and afordable marine paint to use for the job, and the process withgel coating small sections,
also how to get that grip top surface affect, its already there will i have to sand this right back or is a lite sand all i need? the overall hull is in good condition just top deck paint faded

id also love to here of anyone who has converted a fibreglass runabout to centre console, this is something i have been pondering, its a 5.1m hull and big front deck similar to old cruisi r'bout,
if you cut the top deck out and remove the storage boxes, then built in a casting deck at the front would that be enough to replace the support the top deck was giving to hull?

thanks for any help, so close to being done, only problem busiest time at work?!!!!

i do vow to catch a snapper this season!!!!

oldie

BM
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Oldie,

check the posts from Doug Grant on Fishnet forum about his 21ft Savage that he converted to a centre console (well, is still converting). Lots of good pics for you.