PDA

View Full Version : How important is outboard year?

Ron173
06-07-2007, 07:24 AM
G'Day all,

I recently got a new small outboard a 15 merc super, I always have had manuals for my engines and would like one for this one too.

Its a 2007 model and on ebay there are manuals which cover it but only to 2000.

Whats the opinion on wether a simple engine like that will have altered at all in 7yrs?

Ron

Blackened
06-07-2007, 07:47 AM
G'day

Chances are they haven't majorly,. But chances are they have in little bits and pieces.

Best off asking a merc mechanic.

Or sourcing a suitable manual from your local library, the seloc one I borrowed was really good.

Dave

Noelm
06-07-2007, 08:11 AM
there will be quite a lot of differences in 7 years that might be important when it comes time to do "stuff" but the basics will probably be similar, but technology will have changed in 7 years.

Noelm
06-07-2007, 08:12 AM
OH and in my experience the after market manuals like Seloc and Clymers are very poor second to the manufacturers originals, but still much better than none at all.

BM
06-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Be careful with the $13 manuals available on CD from ebay. I have a BRP manual that is in adobe format and is basically scanned pages from a workshop manual with poor diagrams and no interactive index. Absolute rubbish and I suspect the other brand outboard cd's offered for the same money are the same rubbish.

There are some excellent websites that can give you access to the proper interactive setup, just beed to dig around. I have an excellent one for MerCruiser with all service and parts bulletins, technicians manual and general service manuals.

Cheers

Ron173
06-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks for replies,

Think I will prob just get dealer to order me the genuine one.

Its a simple engine but I just like to have the book for things like ignition timing, torque settings etc, and periodicity of maintenance items etc., as after its initial run in service, it wont be back at the dealers.

Rgds