PDA

View Full Version : How many esky lids have you lost?? or any esky stories??

finga
04-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Gidday again,
I had to go to the doctors today and just cruising up the SE Freeway I was amased at how many esky lids there was on the side of the road.
Now (been bored as usual driving) I thought to myself who would be loosing all these tops for the faithful esky.
What were their thoughts when they got there and the lids gooone??
What did they do to keep the contents cool for the rest of the day??
What's the best type for staying put on the esky??
So...many many lids have you lost and how??
What are some esky stories??
So many questions...
;D

Mtx
04-07-2007, 02:45 PM
none.. attached by hinges

trueblue
04-07-2007, 02:53 PM
I've woken up in the morning and couldn't find the beer that I thought was in the esky!!!

hmmmmmm....

betsy
04-07-2007, 03:58 PM
AAAGGGHH the good old esky lid i have 1 on the wall off my shed this esky lid i av kept for 18 years its a good topic over a cold one it paddled my old man and me home 1 day after the tinnie motor broke down and holy shit there were no oars in the boat i was 12 and the first time i can say i got pissed with the old boy as he palmed a fair few tinnies my way out of the lidless cooler probarly to keep me paddling for a little while anyway? 3km we paddled with a damn esky lid aaaggghhh ?beer ?yummmm?

Poodroo
04-07-2007, 05:23 PM
I am also glad that some clever person invented hinges. My esky has a hinged lid making it a little hard to lose. The plastic original hinges did eventually break but I got clever and sourced some exact fitting stainless hinges which even had holes that lined up with the originals so no drilling required to instal. Gave the old faithful Coleman a new lease of life. Only thing is I am finding I need a bigger esky these days so a new one is on the cards. ;)

Poodroo

theoldlegend
04-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Well, none really.

TOL

pimp my boat
04-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Lost one to a dingo on fraser while Club fishing. Also lost the catch.
Bastard stole about 15 good whiting.
regards
Mick

insideout
04-07-2007, 05:41 PM
was driving along the freeway when on the opposite side i saw a bloke lose a esky lid off the back of his ute, but it was quickly found by another guys windscreen 3 cars behind.

blaze
04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
whats an esky, we use little oven type units to stop things freezing
cheers
blaze

manchild
04-07-2007, 06:07 PM
If always pick up a couple if i see them on the way to the beach.They make exellent boogieboards.
cheers
George

bigtez
04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I copped the lid off my esky while scoting up the pine at 50kph. That was also the day I decided to start wearing the kill switch lanyard when out on my own.

jtpython
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I lost my luch box lid off my exky 15 litre one so i kept the box part bought a new one, found the lid lid off someone else'e that gave me 2 esky's same size then last week found another lid same size just in case i lose one of them.
cheers Jt

If you find a lid keep it cause you just never know

Cloud_9
04-07-2007, 08:37 PM
most of the lids are from lazy tradies not tieing the things down.
too much money not enough grey matter!!!

Cloud 9

Black_Rat
04-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Heading down towards Cabbage Tree to launch and head to the PIN one Sunday we lost an esky lid off an esky my mate bought along (full of beer) ::) I was travelling along when I noticed the lid fly off and land on the side of the road in the side mirror. So I pull over and asks who want to fetch it given it took me some 100m to pull over safely on the side of the road.

Given all 3 deckies were hung over/kicking on and i was eager to get on the water, I made the trek. I only decided to make the trek because I thought one of them dropped one ;D the stench was pretty bad :sick2: Half way there, I thought that was a ripper ! it's still following me ;D only to realize some serious fertilizer was at work in the cane fields. Finally grab the lid and headed back towards the car to see 3 blokes throwing there guts up ;D "A bit hung over are we" I said laughing and then it caught up with me ::) It was really that bad ;D spewing myself sober !

Any hint of that stench these days and the window go up and hit the recycle on the A/C ;D

onerabbit
04-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Anyone wants a spare lid, there's one at the double bridges in Ballina ATM.

Muzz

Great White
04-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Finga, you have seen my shed I am sure I lost a lid in there some where ;D I think it was in late 2003.

Me thinks you need to invent a esky leash or something to avoid the faithful lid going walk about ::) just remember my cut ;)

Black_Rat
04-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Finga, you have seen my shed I am sure I lost a lid in there some where ;D I think it was in late 2003.

Me thinks you need to invent a esky leash or something to avoid the faithful lid going walk about ::) just remember my cut ;)

Tell us more ;D

finga
05-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Tell us more ;D
I think a dog went missing in there as well in Spring 2002.
They found a band of Gypsy's in there in 1998 They've been there since 1875.

I already have a esky leash....mainly to stop the whole thing flying out the boat....it's a bit of bungy cord that gets tied through the handles and over the lid and gets hooked onto 2 stainless saddles on the floor of 'Junior'. I don't have to tie it down on the way home because it's always got a feed of fish weighing it down stopping it from blowing out (I wish :P)

As an ex-tradey I reckon your statement is crap cloud9.
Tradey's get a decent esky with hinges because we earn heaps and can claim it on the tax ;D

choppa
05-07-2007, 06:48 AM
i posted this once before,,, but it still makes me laugh when someone sounds there horn whilst overtaking me,,

we had an early morning breakfast/afternoon bbq planned for the guys at work,,,, i was designated cook,,,, so i threw my eskys on the back of the old bravo,, tied them down and went back inside to get the rest of my gear,,,, thinking,,, one mor esky just in case its needed,,,, threw it on and tied it off

half way up the bruce h/way a car pulls alongside,,, sounds its horn and gave me a friendly wave,,,, i wave back,,, didn't recognise the driver,,, thinking he may have me confused with someone else or a fllow ausfisher noticing the logo,, he took off at a rate of knots

20 second later,, the above repeats itself,,,mmmmmmmm i think friendly bunch of people out and about this morning,,,,

get to work,,,, and you guessed it,,,,, didn't loose the lid,,, lost the lot

choppa

roydsy
05-07-2007, 08:07 AM
3 lids lost and counting.

Now have a hinged electric fridge for boat and the full boar as a massive underseat ice box as well so no more lost lids for me.

choppa
05-07-2007, 09:05 AM
after i posted the above response this morning,,, (running late for work),, i thought about an article that i was reading from ""saltwater fishing"" during the week,,,,

WHO CAN REMEMBER THESE DAYS,,,,,,,, BEFORE ESKY'S

Block ice and canvas bags were the ice chests of the day

I can still smell the wonderful odor of fish dried into the heavy canvas bag. It’s one of those smells that, when you run across it, takes you back a lot of years. It takes me back to the times we fished and had no ice chest to hold our catch. This was before we moved to Key West, and back then our catches could be substantial.
The trunk of the old ‘49 Dodge was packed with fishing gear. It included the old six horse Mercury that really didn’t run very well. Rods protruded from the rear driver’s side window, each having been pre-rigged the night before. I was sent to bed early, but my Dad and uncle sat up late making wire leaders for bottom rigs. Braided green line was on each of the four old Penn 65 reels and boat rods, tied with a 6-ounce egg sinker to the wire leaders. zSB(3,3) (http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=BfcHGuCaMRt-AB5_4-wH10bipB9-v9yXftbLaAsCNtwHwyCEQAxgDIKil9wEoCDgAUJz1rswEYKWgl YCYAZgB7u-gA5gB_fCgA6ABwYW2-AOqARRwcmltZWRpYV9zYWx0ZmlzaGluZ7IBFXNhbHRmaXNoaW5 nLmFib3V0LmNvbcgBAdoBQGh0dHA6Ly9zYWx0ZmlzaGluZy5hY m91dC5jb20vb2QvZmlzaGluZ2luZmxvcmlkYS9hL2FhMDUwNjA xYS5odG2pAunQE9Vuwqw-qAMBuAMB6APOA-gDC-gDhwI&num=3&adurl=http://www.munupiwildernesslodge.com&client=ca-primedia-premium_js)
This was the standard fishing rig in my memory for a number of years.

It’s three in the morning, and I am half asleep and half excited as we stop at the icehouse on the way. The only place to find block ice in those days was the Royal Palm icehouse. The tackle shops had not yet taken on ice sales. On the loading dock, I watched as the night attendant hauled a seventy-five pound block of ice across the wooden floor with his tongs. My Dad held open the green canvas bag as the ice slid into the opening.
It was a four foot tall, round bag, two feet in diameter, with a round, flat metal bottom. Drawstrings at the top helped keep the ice from melting. My father mumbled something about high prices under his breath as he paid the $.75 for the ice – a penny a pound was outrageous for frozen water!
The bag went into the trunk with the other fishing tackle. One more stop for ten pounds of fresh mullet to be cut up for bait, and we made the two-hour drive into the Florida Keys. A one-lane road with very little traffic, US 1 ran all the way to Key West. Our destination was Bahia Honda, a little over half way down the Keys. I can’t remember whether Monroe County ran the little rental concern at the boat basin or whether it was a private operation, but it was there that we rented a sixteen-foot wooden skiff all day for $5.00.
With everything in the boat we headed out into the Gulf side of the Keys, No Name Key on our left and Horseshoe Key dead ahead. We had to stop about every ten minutes to let the air cooled engine cool off. It would run until it got hot, and then shut down. For the longest time I thought that was how outboards were designed!
A very unscientific process of triangulation and arguing over which mangrove tree and which structure on the shore were the right ones to use as targets was followed by an anchoring exercise. The boat had an old grappling anchor made from lead pipe and rebar, and it took a little practice to get it to hang.
Once we anchored, we pretty much stayed right there for the entire day. That “day” was from sunup until sundown, and we seldom, if ever moved. Heck, we didn’t have to move! The gag, red, and Nassau grouper were thick on the bottom. It probably mattered little if we were off the chosen spot by half a mile or so, the fish were everywhere!
And so, the ice bag came to be filled with fish. Seventy-five pounds of melting ice, which surprisingly lasted all day, enough fish to fill the bag, and all of our bottled cokes, were mingled together in the dark, slimy interior of the ice bag. I can see my father as clearly as if it were yesterday taking one of those slimy cokes out of the bag, opening it with the bottle opener, wiping the slime with one hand, and downing the entire drink in two huge gulps, fish slime dripping from his chin.
The trip home was one of peaceful sleep for me. I to this day do not know how they drove for three hours after being up since three in the morning and fishing until six at night. But the ice bag was in the trunk with all the fish and what was left of the ice block. Believe it or not, there was always a chunk of ice left when we got home.
Three hours of cleaning fish put bedtime at around midnight for my father. Completely brown and sometimes burned from the sun – we never used sunscreen – he arose at six the next morning to head in for work. How, oh how did he do it? I suspect he could not wait to brag about his catch! I sometimes wish we still had to fish that same way. It just seemed to be a more special time, a time that required a lot of stamina and patience. And somehow the rewards just seemed to be greater for all that effort.

THE OLD 90 MILE BEACH IN VICTORIA WITH THE BROTHERS AND BROTHER IN LAWS CHASING GUMMY SHARKS,,,, THAT'S ALL WE HAD,,, 2 BRIQUETTE BAGS,,, ONE INSIDE THE OTHER,,,2 BLOCKS OF ICE,,,

MEMORIES;D ;D ;D

CHOPPA

kingtin
05-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I think a dog went missing in there as well in Spring 2002.
They found a band of Gypsy's in there in 1998 They've been there since 1875.

You crack me up Finga ;D Did the Gypsies get turfed out, and if so, how long did it take to get a court order? If they stayed, perhaps they ate the dog? ;D

As for hinges on tradey's eskies................if they're anything like the hinges that the "tradey" put on my doors....no wonder the lids go missing ;D

kev

finga
05-07-2007, 09:24 AM
You crack me up Finga ;D Did the Gypsies get turfed out, and if so, how long did it take to get a court order? If they stayed, perhaps they ate the dog? ;D

As for hinges on tradey's eskies................if they're anything like the hinges that the "tradey" put on my doors....no wonder the lids go missing ;D

kev
Mate, the gypsy's have been asked to keep an eye out for the dog and the esky lid. They keep the mice down so Pete and Janine don't mind them there (the gypsy's that is not the mice).
To Pete and Janine.......Pete you started this tom-foolery :-X

Kev....Dodgy hinges go on customer doors to start with.
That way the quote is lower and when they stuff up the customer ring you up cranky and you say that's what I quoted but you can get better hinges you know.
Then it's called call back and you (the tradey) can fleece the customer for another $80 for a service call to put decent hinges on. ::)

PS I used to claim my boat on my tax as well. I 'used' it to check foot-valves on pumps in creeks etc...honest I did ;D

kingtin
05-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Mate, the gypsy's have been asked to keep an eye out for the dog and the esky lid. They keep the mice down

Can you clarify that one, mate?

Do the gypsies eat the mice, are the mice frightened of having a bad spell put on them for not buying the gypsies clothes pegs, or do the mice simply refuse to enter the garage because of the smell from the gypsies? ;D

kev

Wahoo
05-07-2007, 04:42 PM
As an ex-tradey I reckon your statement is crap cloud9.
Tradey's get a decent esky with hinges because we earn heaps and can claim it on the tax ;D

LOL thats funny as, but how true;D

i found a fiberglass lid on the side of the road on a saturday
on sundays they have a lost n found segment on the local radio so i placed a add, the owners turned up at home with a carton of beer for me

Daz

Fishin_Dan
05-07-2007, 08:11 PM
i found a fiberglass lid on the side of the road on a saturday
on sundays they have a lost n found segment on the local radio so i placed a add, the owners turned up at home with a carton of beer for me

Daz

Without a lid for their esky, the beer mustve been warm... ;D

shaman
06-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Kev, the tradies fit the dodgy hinges to our doors and save the good ones for their eskies...............................
What a good thread, some of late have been a bit heavy..........

Hot_Snappa
07-07-2007, 05:13 PM
most of the lids are from lazy tradies not tieing the things down.
too much money not enough grey matter!!!

Gotta disagree with that cloud 9!
All of the lids are just from stupid people- whether they be tradies, fishermen, politicians or whoever!
I have never lost an esky lid and I never will, because I am thorough in my approach and have some common sense!
Some are just plain stupid !!!::)

Dave

Wahoo
07-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Kev, the tradies fit the dodgy hinges to our doors and save the good ones for their eskies...............................
What a good thread, some of late have been a bit heavy..........

But thats only for the people we dont like :P

Wahoo
07-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Without a lid for their esky, the beer mustve been warm... ;D

::)::)......................................

bushbeachboy
08-07-2007, 08:09 AM
I've not lost any lids, but....
Got home from fishing one day, and there was a big drama at home. The next day I cleaned the boat etc, but completely forgot about the esky. Well, I don't use that esky much do I? 3 months later I opened the lid.......oops!!!!!!!:-X

major-defect
08-07-2007, 12:03 PM
While camping at Moreton island,I think BR65 might of even been there.We came back to our camp to see a bunch of crows flying out of our cheap foam esky,they'd made a hole inthe side.They'd got into the margerine and were covered in the stuff and couldn,t fly real good.

hercules
08-07-2007, 07:26 PM
have lost a few lids over the years::) . Used to be the eskys with the single handle . The esky would get bumped in the ute by other tools or my erratic driving , the handle would move ,hence leaving the lid unlatched and the rest is history :-[ .
The last few work eskies have latches on the side . I have run over one on a job with the chev (all the tools packed up boys? they obviously didn't realise the esky is supposed to go in the ute with the tools::) ) .I have to admit i also have killed 2 eskies with my bobcat ( and 1 was even mine)
Did get a lackies new esky lid back one day . It had come off at Palmy on the m1 on the way to Brissy (not that we knew it at the time) and looked all the way home and found it half a click from the Palmy exit ( unsquashed :) )
I only wished you could just buy lids
Craig