PDA

View Full Version : outboard service

stumpsand
04-07-2007, 01:55 PM
hi
i have a 6hp 2stroke tohatsu short shaft outboard i would like to start servicing the motor myself but have very little mechanical knowledge and have no idea where to start, my question, is there much involved and do i need special tools and what sort of trouble could i get myself into, it's not the cost of getting some one to do the job it's the hassle getting the boat to them, is there a service manual and would i need one , the tohatsu dealer where i live has shut up shop.
thanks
stumpsand

Noelm
04-07-2007, 02:29 PM
almost any dealer can do a service on that motor, or you can do it yourself, but if you are not all that mechanically minded, just do not be too dare devil and rip things to bits without good reason or at the very least a workshop manual!

blu
05-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Like a car there isn't much to a "quicky" if its pumping water well the only things you will need to do is change plugs,undo bottom flat head screw on gearbox,just a bit till the oil starts to come out if it looks good ie oil colour(honey) tighten back up,change fuel filter under hood and if you have one in-line(on fuel hose) change it as well..... thats about it also a good idea to have head gasket check by any outboard place after a while and at the same time get impeller check,,

stumpsand
06-07-2007, 01:53 PM
thanks fellas for your advice ,i think i might leave well enough alone and get some one who knows what he's doing for my service i have a bad habit of when i do mechanical work of having parts left over.
thanks all the same
stumpsand