PDA

View Full Version : yabbies

bootlace
03-07-2007, 07:18 PM
i've been using yabbies a bit lately for bait and was wondering whats the best way to put them on the hook?only just started fishing so i know nothing other than what ive tought myself(which is more than likely wrong)
also what would be the best knot for 60lb line

thanks Jon

Feral
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
60 lb line, not with the yabbies I hope? What are you using the line for, should still tie a blood knot or loop knot in that size ok.

If your talking salt water yabbies, they are usually pretty soft, so trying to rig them live is pretty much a waste of time, just thread then on from between the tail flukes, bring the hook point out through the head

If your talking fresh water ones, just pierce the hook through the very last segment before the tail flukes so it hangs free. Should stay alive long enough to attract something! Wide mouth hooks are a good idea.

bootlace
03-07-2007, 08:03 PM
thanks for the reply feral.using the 60lb on my set lines,is there a reason i cant use yabbies with it didnt think it would matter only fishing in freshwater in a river close to town

bdowdy
03-07-2007, 08:45 PM
hi bootlace ( SET LINES ARE A THING OF THE PAST) try buying yourself arod and reel and some lures and have some fun fishing, NOT KILLING. sorry mate but this is 2007, would be happy to help you get into the right gear if you need some advice. cheeers bdowdy

bootlace
04-07-2007, 10:41 AM
its legal (set lines)so im going to keep doing it,i set my lines then i grab my rod and a couple of spinners/lures and walk the river for a hour or so then come back and check my line and then do it all again,sorry but i can't see whats wrong with that
thanks Jon

goddy100
04-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Jon,
just not a good catch and release method. Fish tend to die on set lines and due to deep hooking (gut hook) may even die if seemingly successfully released. So any undersized or unwanted fish are as good as dead.
Most people these days tend to look after their catch very well, so it is in prime condition to either eat or release. Set lines do not really allow for that and is so frowned upon these days.
By the way, what fish are you targeting?

Goddy

PS be prepared for some unpleasant answers to this one!

bootlace
04-07-2007, 01:01 PM
cod and yellow belly is what im after goddy

gunnadoo
04-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi bootlace
Set lines?????? Have you no brains. Mate as said before stop being a lazy A## and fish with rod and reel and have some fun. It wouldn't be so bad ifit was mabey whiting or something but yellowbelly

Truck
04-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Best way to bait a yabby is to put the hook through the tail towards the end so that the yabby stays alive (Can stay alive for days like this) you have to make sure it is suspended off the bottom otherwise it will crawl away and hide under a log or something. I usually put them under a float amongst some snags.

Nothing wrong with set lines as long as they are checked regularly so that the undersize fish can be released asap. It is a better idea to use large mouth hooks so that fish are hooked in the lip.

Hope this helps.. Truck

Feral
06-07-2007, 06:35 AM
It will depend on how the fish are biting.

In my experience rigging them through the tail as I suggested is the best method to start with, but sometimes they are finicky, and just bite off the heads. If thats happening try threading them all the way up the hook so the barb is well and truly in the head.

Dont worry about the greenies, particularly the rude ones, if its legal do it, tell em if they dont like it, see their local politician and leave you alone. The polite ones I respectfully listen to, they often make a good point, and have some good suggestions.

I use set line for bank fishing for yellow belly, usually 4, usually 20lb mono. I set up the 4 lines in front of me, Put 4 sticks in the ground about a foot apart, little split in top of stick (to hold line taught), hand line spool over stick. Then I fan the lines out from left to right, and sit behind them on a chair and wait. If I am a bit dozy or having a read or drink I'll stick "clip on bells" on top of the sticks. As soon as one moves I am on it!