PDA

View Full Version : ICe BOx Material - Fiberglass vs Poly

Splash
03-07-2007, 05:52 PM
HI Team.

Wanting to know is fiberglass is the best material for keeping ice as ice and keeping fish fresh to optimal condiiton??

I am tossing up whehter to get a fiberglass box or polyeurathane plastic for a slurry box and chill box.

If fiberglass is the best, what brands are recommended? I ahve checked out evacool but what are others??

SPlash

Getout
03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Ive got both. Prefer the poly in the boat. Doesn't ding the boat and never needs repair. Keeps ice for days

Dan5
03-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I have both the poly is good cos it's tuff as hell but the f/glass definatly hold's ice longer.I think you should look at how the esky is sealed before you buy as some of them are a bit dodgy look for a good tuff rubber seal and not that foam sticky tape stuff i know it can be replaced but rubber give's a better seal.Dan.....

fish-freak
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Splash, i believe fiberglass eskys are better for keeping ice longer.
Depends on what your demands are when using one!
Glass eskys perform better over longer periods of time.
Replacing ice is less frequent (perfect for long camping trips).
In saying that there is nothing wrong with poly eskys, they just require more "cooling" maintenance but they are a good cheaper, alternative!!

cheers daz...

trueblue
03-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Fibreglass is dearer, but better for keeping the cold in.

Poly is cheaper, but much more durable and can literally be 'thrown about' fairly roughly without suffering any damage.

Best rule of thumb with poly is to have a big one, and heaps of ice and you'll never have any trouble keeping fish cold for overnighters. Past that they start to lose their cool. Heaps of ice is no worries if you freeze 2.5 litre fruit juice bottles.

Will send you a PM

sid_fishes
03-07-2007, 07:50 PM
mate i have a boat box which is a fibreglass seat box and i can honestly say that i have had to put bags of ice back in the frezzer at the end of the day, where as the the poly is just cold water cheers ian

Seahorse
03-07-2007, 07:54 PM
sid
i agree with the glass. i always refreeze my bags of ice at end of day.

greg

griz066
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Go the polly I have a Tropical 205ltr and love it keeps ice for 4 days that I know of

GAD
03-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I've got a polly and I always have ice to put back in the freezer, and will keep ice for 4 days in summer here, all for the price of 110 bucks delivered off ebay, poly are cheaper and tuffer,

Greg

rat_catcher
03-07-2007, 09:14 PM
I was in this exact same situation a few weeks ago and whilst I started out adamant I was going to buy a fibreglass box I ended up with a Poly one.

I wanted a long, low and narrow box for Spanish Mackeral and whilst the fibreglass option would probably have kept the ice longer, it was 3 times the price.

I have used mine now and have kept ice for two days and still had plenty left. So I don't think it is a major issue for the couple of days of fishing we do. Maybe if we were gone for a week it might be different.

I ended up with a 200L IK200 Ice Kool box for $350.

http://www.icekool.com.au/ik200.htm

The version I got has two handles on each end and cam type clips on the front, which is a little different from the pic on the above website. I am guessing this is an upgrade to the model from when the pic on the website was taken.

Dan5
03-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I wonder if polycraft owner's only buy poly esky's????????

Wahoo
03-07-2007, 09:56 PM
I wonder if polycraft owner's only buy poly esky's????????

LOL no need to wonder

Cam, i have a few of both, cant go past the glass esky for holding ice, but they do tend to scratch and mark easy, easy fix is get a canvas cover made for em, if your going to use the esky for camping and other long term outings then go glass, plastic esky are good for day trips really, good for a day outing on the boat, and dont really matter if they get knocked around a bit, i carry two on my boat, the 120L evakool, which is strapped down in front of the console out of harms way, and thats only to keep the catch in, and the other 70L plastic is behind the seatbox and thats for food n drinks

Daz

ALOGT
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
The shell or casing material makes very little difference in regards to insulating. The biggest difference is in the type and quality of the insulating material there is a large range in the "R" rating between types of polyurethane and foam.

PADDLES
04-07-2007, 08:13 AM
we've got both, a top dollar fibreglass baileys one for camping which keeps ice good for ages but is a bit fragile for knocking around and a cheaper poly one for in the boat that still keeps ice good but can handle a few knocks. we figured that all of our boating is day trips so our boating ice box doesn't have to be as good or as big as our camping one. super cheap had good poly ones at the right price (that's what our poly one is anyway) they were $99 for 100l box.

Splash
04-07-2007, 09:46 AM
THanks boys.

GOod input.

Is it good to have a deeper well box for slurry mix?

I saw a guy on Port DOuglas beach yesterday with two fiberglass boxes - one was evacool and the other brand unknown. THis unknown brand appeared stornger with thicker lid and better seal. I know the EVAcool glass boxes have basic rubber tape as seals - looks a bit dodgy to me.

THoughts.

Splash

Reef_fisher
04-07-2007, 10:57 AM
I use the Tropicool poly, its somewhere between 95-110 ltrs and has held block ice for more than 4 days, plastic bottles frozen last longer. I use it in my boat as the seat at the back of the boat, it also has the measuring sticker on it for sizing fish and has two bums at 100 kgs each sitting on it all day. It gets kicked dragged about and some times has bait/fish cut up on it. It gets a hole load of rough treatment that a fibreglass one just would not cope with.
At the end of the day would 4-5 days of ice cold be enough, and how much abuse would the thing get, and would it be used for a seat in or out of the boat. Would it be transported sucurely or just thrown into the ute or boat. If it is going to get any or all of the above treatment the poly is the way to go.

I have had my poly esky for 5 years now and never had to repair it, and it cops a fare amount of abuse. Also be aware that some cheapo poly boxes have very dodgey hinges and lid hold down clips.

Splash
04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Thansk boys - had a good gander a good cross section of boxes at a shop in Cairns.

SPoek to a guys there - good tips - decided will go for the poly - becaue of heavier wearing, hinges.

Great input guys! Thanks again family..

Splash

kingtin
05-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Just did 4 days camping with tropical eskies and brought ice back. The secret is not just about the esky but also how long you freeze your ice for. I have frozen cordial and juice bottles permanently in my freezer and I can assure you that the 3 litre juice bottles frozen for longer than a month, will last 7 days in a tropical poly esky this time of year and 4 days in summer.

kev

Nowhere Bob
05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
I dont own either - Mine are 140l Cold room panel & 20l el cheapo Kmart plastic. My Big esky just has a flush fitting lid with a bit of rubber tape, I'd prefer it had some kind of fitted moulding so that a better air seal was made. But the price was right ;)
FWIW:
A mate with a whizzo Brand X fibreglass job must say 500 times each camping trip "Don't sit on the Eva****"
The other mate with a big Poly bashes it around, uses it for bait cutting board, stands on it, generally treats it mean. He even screwed & glued eyelets onto the box for tie down points, I wouldnt be keen to do this to a glass box.

I reckon [as said before] ice holding depends on isulation more than skin.
If I was on the market I would be more interested in hinges, handles, and seal quality than outer skin. This will probably steer you away from the El Cheapo Chinese jobs. And back to the more expensive but better made Oz jobs.

Splash
05-07-2007, 07:57 PM
SOLD - Tropical ICE BOX it is!

Thanks

kingtin
05-07-2007, 08:33 PM
SOLD - Tropical ICE BOX it is!

Thanks

Don't jump the gun mate :o poly by all means but there are polies at half the price of tropical. Although I have an 85 and a 125 poly Tropical they are outperformed by my tecni ice at a much cheaper price. They have stainless clasps as well as rubber, they are lockable, have a better seal, and they also have lid restraining straps.

http://www.techniice.com/english/iceboxes.asp

HTH

kev

Wahoo
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
I know the EVAcool glass boxes have basic rubber tape as seals - looks a bit dodgy to me.

THoughts.

Splash

well put it this way
evakool IS the only esky that i have ever seen turn a tapwater bottle of water into ice, was'nt solid ice but there was ice in that water bottle ::)

tiny_tinny
06-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Just did 4 - 5 days camping with tropical eskies and brought ice back. The secret is not just about the esky but also how long you freeze your ice for. I have frozen cordial and juice bottles permanently in my freezer and I can assure you that the 3 litre juice bottles frozen for longer than a month, will last 7 days in a tropical poly esky this time of year and 4 days in summer.

kev

I've kept 3 litre containers frozen for 4 days in Qld mid-summer conditions in an "ordinary" cheap esky by:

1. Drilling holes in the lid and injecting aerosol foam to fill the space in the lid.

2. Placing a thin sheet of foam from a closed cell camping mat at the bottom of the esky for additional insulation.

3. Freezing everything that can be frozen before I go.

4. Placing another thin sheet of foam over the top of everything before closing the lid for more insulation.

5. I made a cover from reflective aluminium foil insulation that goes right over the esky.

6. As far as possible, keeping the esky in the shade.

7. While I'm travelling, I put sleeping bags, towels etc over the esky.

I fill one 3-litre container with juce and a couple more with plain water. These go at the bottom of the esky. Not having any water sloshing in the esky reduces the transmission of heat into the esky. The juice melts at a lower temperature than plain water so the juice can be drunk after a couple of days. The water ice melts gradually, and we drink the cold water it produces.

If you did all these things with a better quality esky, you might add a day or two to the time the ice lasts.

Mike

Splash
06-07-2007, 04:42 PM
GOod advice boys!

With space restictions onboard, how critical is a slurry mix?

Can I get away with one icebox with solid ice?

Splash

Nowhere Bob
06-07-2007, 07:40 PM
I think your on the right track with the poly for a boat box, with regard paid to hinges handles & seals.

With space restictions onboard, how critical is a slurry mix?
Can I get away with one icebox with solid ice?

I guess it comes down to factors like,
1 How long are your fish staying in the box.
2 What condition do you want them to be in when they come out.
3 If the box is in a boat [I sound like Dr. Suess] will a single block bash hell out of your catch?

If put to a vote, I'd put my money on saltwater chip ice to make a thick slurry with couple of big blocks in 2l plastic bottles for extra coolth [the opposite of warmth.]

I make chip ice by freezing 2cm thick sheets in ice cream containers & smashing them. Saltwater doesn't mean sea water, just throw a handfull of cooking salt in & give it a mix. This recipe makes plastic milk bottles into the freezer blocks of doom. I think even better than the EthylGlycol filled commercial jobbies.
;D

I like the quick kill factor of a slurry - a 4 Kg Pearly is plenty strong enough to pound the stuffing out of a little tusky while it takes its time to kark it.
Before you ask I've never worked out the Iwaki jimi brain spike thing - I just neck them.

Splash
10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks NOB.

Would you prefer to have a single ice slurry box without a dedicated block ice box? Thus, one box instead of two?

Splahs

Splash
10-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Just did 4 days camping with tropical eskies and brought ice back. The secret is not just about the esky but also how long you freeze your ice for. I have frozen cordial and juice bottles permanently in my freezer and I can assure you that the 3 litre juice bottles frozen for longer than a month, will last 7 days in a tropical poly esky this time of year and 4 days in summer.

kev

Kingtin,

Without sounding too pedantic, what type of juice do u use? Is it the sugar content and/or food acids that allows it to melt at a lower temperature?

Splash

Splash
10-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I have both the poly is good cos it's tuff as hell but the f/glass definatly hold's ice longer.I think you should look at how the esky is sealed before you buy as some of them are a bit dodgy look for a good tuff rubber seal and not that foam sticky tape stuff i know it can be replaced but rubber give's a better seal.Dan.....

Dan,

Can you provide examples of brands that have good rubber seals?

Splash

kingtin
10-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Kingtin,

Without sounding too pedantic, what type of juice do u use? Is it the sugar content and/or food acids that allows it to melt at a lower temperature?

Splash

Sorry for the confusion mate. I just meant that I use the juice bottles for freezing water. The main factor for me is how long the water is frozen. If you freeze it for 24 hrs you'll be lucky if it lasts that long. OTOH water frozen for 2 months takes 5 to 6 days to thaw completely in my Tropical esky.

kev

kingtin
10-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Dan,

Can you provide examples of brands that have good rubber seals?

Splash

there's nothing to compare with the seal on a waeco but they're too good looking to bung fish into;D

kev

Splash
10-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I was in this exact same situation a few weeks ago and whilst I started out adamant I was going to buy a fibreglass box I ended up with a Poly one.

I wanted a long, low and narrow box for Spanish Mackeral and whilst the fibreglass option would probably have kept the ice longer, it was 3 times the price.

I have used mine now and have kept ice for two days and still had plenty left. So I don't think it is a major issue for the couple of days of fishing we do. Maybe if we were gone for a week it might be different.

I ended up with a 200L IK200 Ice Kool box for $350.

http://www.icekool.com.au/ik200.htm

The version I got has two handles on each end and cam type clips on the front, which is a little different from the pic on the above website. I am guessing this is an upgrade to the model from when the pic on the website was taken.

RC -

How did you get this ice box $100 cheaper than the advertised price?
Your thoughts on orange coloured ice boxes vs blue regarding heat absorption?
How do the hinges perform?
How far does the bung stick out?
Is it advantagoues to be able to remove the lid at all?
Splash

Splash
10-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Do you all have two ice boxes on board your boats?

1 - Slurry mix box
2 - Keeper box

Splash

trueblue
10-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I keep about 15 big juice bottles of frozen water in my deep freeze unit as well and agree that the longer it is frozen it really does last longer in the ice box.

cheers

Mick

kingtin
10-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Do you all have two ice boxes on board your boats?

1 - Slurry mix box
2 - Keeper box

Splash

I have an underfloor kill tank which I use for keeping livies............it's bigger than the live bait tank and shovellies don't fit in there anyway. ;D

I carry a 126 tropical for the fish which doubles as a bench seat. I lay the frozen juice bottles on their sides with the fish (and bait) on top.

kev

Splash
10-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks Boys.

I am thinking of getting the T126 as well but afraid it may not be enough volume once ice goes inside.. Thoughts?

Kingtin - can i ask why you choose not use slurry mix?

Splsh

Splash
10-07-2007, 09:24 PM
ANy others choosing to have the single ice box on board their rig?

Dunco
10-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Yea got the Evakool Poly 85ltr with the divider from BCF $309 that's all I need in a 4.6m, but maybe you should look at a big glass or poly with the divider added.

Greg P
10-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Splash - an ice/salt water slurry is part of the process of keeping fish fresh. I always use both a slurry in the kill tank and a "keeper esky" as you call it. The ice slurry helps take the initial heat out of the fish but if you want to keep the fish at their best you need to take a bit more care and preparation.

One important thing that is often neglected is the way the fish need to be prepped by gutting and gilling after the ice slurry and placed belly up on a bed of ice with the gut cavity filled with ice. Place another layer of ice over the layer then repeat the same for the next layer of fish. The esky also needs to be set up so you can seperate the meltwater from the ice with a tray set up. This natural flow of the meltwater helps insulate the ice in the box if it sits 1-2 inch below the tray on the bottom.

Hope this help

Cheers

Greg

kingtin
10-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks Boys.

I am thinking of getting the T126 as well but afraid it may not be enough volume once ice goes inside.. Thoughts?

Kingtin - can i ask why you choose not use slurry mix?

Splsh

Firstly, with regards to volume: I don't think that there's many built in eskies that would require much more volume than the 126 unless you're looking at a commercial application, or you're an absolute gung ho recco. There was a day once when I was pushed for room with 5 on board and a bag out on spotties, but I consider that a rare occurence..........then again, some guys here have those kind of catches regularly.

With regards to not using a slurry: Simply because I was raised never seeing it done. All fish on UK trawlers were kept on salt ice but due to the conditions, it never formed a slurry. I've tried slurries and I've tried simply keeping the fish cool on plain ice, but as I'm not a cordon bleu chef ;D I can find no difference in taste whatsover,

Also, not using a salt slurry allows me to keep everything, including food, and bait, in the same big esky with no fear of contamination from salt or water.

kev

Splash
10-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys.

Greg, how do u keep constant the meltwater level - without exposing the fish to opeining the lid all the time?

aND, WHAT is your kill tank made of?

Splash

Greg P
10-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Kill tank is part of the hull - aluminum. I use an Evakool 85l glass esky with a couple of the Mrs old cake cooling trays stacked 2 x high ::):-X:-X. I just drain the water through the drain plug.

Cheers

Greg

Splash
10-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks Greg,

How does your slurry last in that kill tank and how big is it?

Reason for asking - I also have an underfloor built in kill tank - fiberglass and not too sure whether I still should use this because of lack of insulation..

And, how long have you had the Evacool glass esky, dings, cracks?

Do u think the Evacool is a good compromise for obtaining good insulation for less real estation when compared to the poly boxes - for same volume capacity?

What hole profile do the cake trays have and how is one stacked on top of the other?

Splash

disorderly
10-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Wow,just read this thread and I am glad that i dont dont have to put up with some of you guys on my fishing trips.
Man, I sometimes spend up to around 2 full days on the water with my frozen cordial bottles and I donate quite a few kilo's of fish to my local school each semester.Feed the entire kids and parents with the spanish I catch and I have never made a slurry in my life .
Never had anybody getting sick or complaining about the freshness off the fish.
Only glowing compliments and praise!!!
Yeah I totally beleive in the KISS method.

Scott

Splash
11-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks Scott.

Good to have different opinions on this matter. We all know that space is paramount on board a boat. This is why I am digging into the virtues of slurry mix. With all due respect, maybe your lucky giftees are not aware of potnetially even better tasting fish if killed in lsurry first?

What do u use to keep your fish on board?

Splash

ozscott
11-07-2007, 08:22 AM
I have two big (relatively - they are about 900 long and 400 wide at a guess) technices now - blue one and yellow and they are the duck's nuts. They apper to me to be better made than those in the shops. I wouldnt hesitate to reccomend them...so go to the evilbay place and buy one up. The ice lasts very well (I have a custom made Ezycool mini ice room - ie alloy over 3 inches of cold room foam and then the inner sheath of plastic - and even though the poly is not as good, its close enough for me not to go to the expense of the custom job again). They make excellent seats. A mate is 120kg and Im 97kg and no problems in the world in sitting on them. They can be dropped out of the boat and knocked about and empty they are not too heavy.

Cheers

Splash
11-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks Scott.

Do u use one for slurry mix - or are both keeper boxes?

Splshs

ozscott
11-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I use a bucket (tall render style) with ice and sea water as my slurry and then transfer to a straight ice one. In the other one I keep bait in sealed containers and my lunch in another sealed container...the beers fend for themselves.

Cheers

Splash
11-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi OzScott.

What is a tall render style bucket? (volume and wall thickness as well?)

Splash

rat_catcher
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
RC -

How did you get this ice box $100 cheaper than the advertised price?
Your thoughts on orange coloured ice boxes vs blue regarding heat absorption?
How do the hinges perform?
How far does the bung stick out?
Is it advantagoues to be able to remove the lid at all?Splash
PM's received and sent!

Splash
11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi OzScott.

What is a tall render style bucket? (volume and wall thickness as well?)

Splash