PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer Setup

Aussie Spirit
02-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Been starting to have a few problems in getting my 5.2 alloy centre console off the trailer recently down at the boat ramp. Been using the ramp at Rudys so you know the ramp that I use for my trips down to the pin. So I'm starting to wonder if the centre rollers may have slipped a bit and boat is now starting to rest to heavy on the side skids. The trailer is a basic oceananic with centre yalio Alloy rollers with the blue side skids. Can anyone tell how I can check to see if the trailer is set up correctly, how much weight on the centre rollers how much support to the side skids etc.

For those who respond thank you heaps for the assistance, as they say you can aways rely on fellow fisher folk.

blu
02-07-2007, 09:18 PM
As far as i know the rollers are to get the boat up the skids are to take most of the weight... But i'm sure there are trailer x-perts on that can explain it to you..

hondaguy
02-07-2007, 09:46 PM
The weight of the aluminium boat should be on the rollers only and the skids should only stop the boat rocking sideways. Ideally no great weight on the skids when untied. Does the boat have an external keel? Do you have the rear roller up to support the weight of the motor? My Quinny has an external keel that is under cut about 350mm from the transom so the rear roller could not support the weight of motor and boat. The plastic centre roller became coped out and heavy on the skids. Replaced the roller and reset the skids. No problem to launch again. In the past the centre rollers have slipped downwards. Used jack to reset the height of roller with the boat on the trailer. Does the alloy roller cause any damage to the keel.eg small notch developing in the keel making it hard to start rolling and dropping the height and putting exta weight on the skid? Have a look next time retreiving the boat before the boat is fully up to winch post. How many centre rollers on the trailer?