PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha motor problems

dunmears
02-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Recently purchased new Yamaha 115 2stroke and I have 10 hours on the motor. I have followed the manual to the letter but am having problems starting the motor from cold and when it does fire up and I run it out to where I will fish , usually outside , and when I stop the motor it will not start even if I have only had it off for ten minutes. The only way I can start it again is to give it full choke and raise the rev. lever on full, it then starts but revs full throttle till I push the rev lever down and put it into gear. I don't want to have to do this all the time and it worries me when I'm fishing outside. Another problem with this motor is that if I try to idle it will just cut out after about a minute and will not start. Will be returning it back to the dealer as soon as I can so he can sort out the problem.

Kerry
02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
10 hours on the motor? So it probably hasn't even been serviced after the run in period?

One would assume you are still running premix as well as the injection?

Regards, Kerry.

trueblue
02-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Possibly a dose of dirty fuel - something in the lines that was not flushed out properly before it got connected?

steveg1100
02-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Once it does start does it sputter when you give it some throttle???

ozscott
02-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I have the 93 version of that motor - bloody fantastic, but they like a lot of choke when cold and they will cut out at idle if there is crap in the float bowls.

Cheers

captain rednut
02-07-2007, 09:49 PM
dirty carbies or stall fuel is the most common thing with any 2 stroke yammy as they dont give any other problems

Hagar
03-07-2007, 07:46 AM
I can offer another thing to check out - assuming there are no issues with your fuel or pre-mix if you are still running some . I previously had the same motor bought new and it had identical problems with starting even when warm . This was fixed completely with a static reset of the carby butterflies and then an on - water mixture adjustment ( it was way out ) by the dealer / mechanic . End of problem . The factory settings left a lot to be desired . If you go this track just make sure you get the mechanic not the apprentice .

Chris

Blackened
03-07-2007, 01:36 PM
G'day

Hagar, what's a static reset of the carb butterflies? Is this making sure they're all in sync on a multi throat setup?

Dave

Hagar
03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Dave - yes mate . Making sure the linkages all pick up the butterflies at the same time and that one or more is not held off the stop more than the others . I could not say which had the most effect on my problem - them or the mixtures . I suspect the mixtures - but Graeme is no longer around to ask him . Shame cause he was a guru . He was a fan of tuning them on water with the leg immersed and the engine up to temperature . When you consider that the first band of RPM increase on a two stroke is purely a function of timing advance with no carby butterfly movement at all you realise why multi carby setups need to be right or you could get some start or idle problems . Spaniard King is the trade expert on here - he might have some say on this .

Chris

honda900
03-07-2007, 09:39 PM
dunmears,

I have had a similar problem with mine 06 yam 130 , basically the same motor, 62hrs, it is a pig to start when it hasnt been used for a little while, has done it since new, but once warm starts fist go every go.

Asked my dealer to look at the problem, still have the same problem starting to P#@s me off actually.

In the engines defence other than that it has not missed a beat, not anything.

Regards
Honda

breeze53
03-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi,

I have a mate that also has the 130 V4 Yammy, same motor as the 115. It developed a similar problem when it was several years old, and it turned out to be a very small split in one of the fuel hoses, so it was sucking air into the system. That can be all it takes to upset the whole balance of the fuel/air ratio, and cause starting / idle problems.

Hope you get on top of it quickly, because they are a strong and reliable motor when properly tuned

Breeze53.

dunmears
04-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the help guys I will take it back for the first service and mention the points raised by you all to the mechanic. I hope it will run better when I go off the 50/1 premix and use straight fuel .

PADDLES
04-07-2007, 08:18 AM
g'day dunmears, can vouch for the benefit of getting the carby butterflies tuned and then a final tune with a water test. had similar problems with my v6 merc and got all the carbies sussed out and then did a final tune with a water test. extremely happy with the results. i figured out the "knack" to start v6 mercs at the same time and have not had a problem since. good mobile mechanic should get you sorted, the guy i used is from redcliffe and he's a yamaha guy too.

dnej
04-07-2007, 12:09 PM
I have the 90 hp.and only have the problem, if the motor is not trimmed level,for the first start.
My motor is fitted with a wedge,so I have a fair bit of neg trim.
David

honda900
04-07-2007, 02:49 PM
dnej

thats a good point, when I start my engine the trim of the engine is very high with the cav plate just under the water. mmmmm, might try it with the engine in the normal trim position, with the carbys flat and see what happens..

Regards
Honda

Sailing Breeze
04-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Take it back to the dealer...if not successful find a tradesman with 20 years in the industry

Fish Guts
05-07-2007, 06:05 PM
hey dunmears,

funny you mention this as i had the same problem with a 130 v4 yam 2/s. I know this may sound silly and quite obvious but the yamaha starting procedure can catch you out, it certainly caught me out. With the choke, if you press the key inwards and have the chock lever up and turn the key from off to on in one motion the choke doesnt work correctly. you have to raise the lever, put your key in, turn until all the acc come on and light up, press the key in and you will hear the fuel pumping then fire away. i know it sounds obvious but it caught me out just that one turn to acc, then press in the key then start.

food for thought if nothing else works mate.

cheers

fish guts

dunmears
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Fish guts - I will try what you sugested I know I push the key in for choke and turn the key in one quick motion, will try your method next time I'm out.-Thanks.

Hagar
05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
This engine needs choke to start when cold for sure . If it is properly tuned it should start immediately straight from the key when warm - e.g. if you are drift fishing and then coming back to a piece of reef .

Chris

ozscott
06-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Yep agreed Chris...if you let them sit in colder water for a couple of hours they sometimes need some choke - the cold transfers up the leg and alloy is quick to heat up and quick to dissipate heat also.

Cheers

Polly
06-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks dnej,
I have an old Johnson which starts perfect in the yard at home but plays up and makes a mug of me at the boat ramp.
I usually have it trimmed fairly high due to rocks around the ramp but next time I will trim it down and give it a try.

Fish Guts
06-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Fish guts - I will try what you sugested I know I push the key in for choke and turn the key in one quick motion, will try your method next time I'm out.-Thanks.

no worries mate, i know how bloody annoying it is turning it over at the ramp with no start. nearrly flattens the battery ! hope it solves the prob.

cheers

fish guts

Ron173
09-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Dunmears,

you get this prob nailed yet mate with the technique of starting?

I'm looking at poss buying one of these, so interested in outcome.

Had a 40 Merc once, was a pr$%k of a thing to start, until I found it needed the choke up full regardless of temp, sometimes once you get the knack its good.

Ron

dunmears
09-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Ron 173 - I'm taking the motor in for it's first service on Monday so I hope the mechanic can tune her up o.k. I'll tell him my problems and a few suggestions from this site. I'm happy with the motor, just a few running in issues that I'm sure will be sorted out with the service. I will keep you posted.

Ketchitdave
09-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I had similar problems with another make. I was told to start using the higher octane petrol....yes it costs a bit more but solved the problem.

If nothing else worth a try.

Cheers

Dave

mako101
09-07-2007, 06:41 PM
It is a disheartening problem when you have motor issues.
I have had similar problems but it was a merc so I gave up and sold the boat.
Now I have a 1980 70 hp Johnson seahorse which is nigh on impossible NOT to start, whether hot, cold, sitting around for two weeks, still starts first time every time! and idles all day, go figure that one.
I am having second thoughts about updating to a later model after the many problems I`ve seen on the water and on these forums with newer models.

ozscott
09-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Every make has its legendary motor. Yammy is the V4 2 stroke. It really is a great piece of kit, so please get it tuned up.

Cheers

PS. Yammy 2 strokes are very very reliable and their electrics have an excellent rap