PDA

View Full Version : What will happen if..

fozzy
02-07-2007, 03:50 PM
I put two different size tyres on my trailer?

I picked up a spare for my trailer the other day, matched the hub, wheel size, all looking good.

I knew at the time that the tyre width for the spare was slightly narrower than the ones on the trailer (155 compared to 165), but I've noticed now that the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combination on the trailer is about 20mm larger than the spare.

If I put the spare on at any time, will the smaller diameter mean that the trailer will pull in that direction, or is the difference not enough to be a factor?

Cheers,

Dave

Noelm
02-07-2007, 03:55 PM
probably not notice any difference, the wheels are not linked mechanicaly in any way, so just do it, or get another tyre that is the same.

finga
02-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Don't loose sleep over it.
It's only a spare isn't it??
If it was one on the bitumen all the time I'd match width and profile but it's only a spare.

Brumby
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
fozzy, it's not a problem. I had the opposite situation on my last boat, the spare was a bit bigger than the normal tyres - I ended up running on the spare for a few weeks until I got around to swapping back and the only thing I noticed was that the boat tended to sit slightly skew on the rollers because the trailer wasn't 100% level when I was winching her back on. As far as towing goes, I can't say I even noticed a difference.

Cheers

Carl

Tassie JR
02-07-2007, 05:16 PM
have you seen the spares in the smaller cars such as the daihatsu sirion the spare tire is the size of a wheelbarrow tire with a max speed limet of 80 km so i dont think you will have a problem.

cheers tassie JR

Why Not
02-07-2007, 05:29 PM
One wheel will have a larger rolling radius than the other. Which means in the long run, one will do fewer rotations than the other.

As for the legality side, what is the trailer plated for?

Will this void your insurance if you have an accident?

SNAPPERCOFFIN
02-07-2007, 07:27 PM
It will be right for a spare the worst thing that could happen is that you could be driving around in circles.