PDA

View Full Version : starting off

big_steve001
01-07-2007, 06:42 PM
hey guys i am very interested in building my own rods, i just wanna no what i need to start off and where do i get my blanks from. thanks for any info. steve

finga
02-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Budds keep blanks down your way and I'm sure others will tell of other shops.
You need a blank, some guides, a reel seat, a grip of some description, some thread and a few other things.
Give Lucky Phil from here a PM. He maybe able to help with guides etc.
A good start for me (still just starting :)) was watching a DVD called 'Custom Rodbuilding with Doc Ski" available through Ausfish.
A good way to see what you need and how to do it.
I was very lucky. I was fortunate enough to get a spot at this years rod building week-end. The knowledge gain probably saved many a hair pulling session and a bucket load of money.

Noelm
02-07-2007, 09:04 AM
almost any GOOD tackle shop will have everything you need (not Kmart and crap Supermarket type places) and you can do it all "by hand" or make your self up a cheap (nearly all stuff found at home, or very cheap to buy) turning jig, I can sort of describe my first attempt if you like.

big_steve001
02-07-2007, 06:44 PM
just wanna no if u can make the turning dryer or do u have to by it

finga
02-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Make it mate.
Grab a motor and lead out of a micro wave and a hobby box from Tandy.
I think I've made 3 or 4 of them now for different blokes.
A lot of guys use old gimble caps or butt caps to hold the rod whilst it's getting dizzy. I made a very simple chuck.
:)

B_E_N
03-07-2007, 11:50 AM
hey finga i know it may be alot to ask but how do you fit the microwave move and get it spinning at a good speed i have know electrical knowledge but need a motor, my hands are stuffed from turning rods with em! is there somewhere where you found all your info on how convert it and so forth??

finga
03-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Ther micro wave motor is purely for drying Ben.
For wrapping I use a Singer sewing machine motor. It is faster and has a built in speed control.
Basically the same setup and chuck (I'm starting to get at whipping them up) etc as the dryer but with more torque and more speeeed ;D

Sorry Ben but all the info came out of my noggin'. It's a bit hard to send a link to inside there. It's all confused and really needs a defrag done to get some sense out of it sometimes :-/

B_E_N
03-07-2007, 01:10 PM
haha no worries, yeh i had a thought about it and a sewing machine setup sounds good, with the pedal control and everything, may have to look into it, cheers tho

Noelm
03-07-2007, 02:57 PM
if you are just starting off, then a simple hand turned binding jig is very easy to make for almost nothing, when drying I used to just leave the rod in the jig and just give it a 1/4 turn every 5 mins or so