PDA

View Full Version : looking for the old fashioned dumpling recipe

choppa
01-07-2007, 05:33 PM
just like the one's mum used to make,,,

you know,,,, when it see's a bucket full of gravy,,, the old fashioned dumpling had no problems in soaking it up,,,

any favorites??????????,,,

these will be tested an scored ;D ;D ;D

choppa

Owen
02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Only going from memory, but the good old artery hardening version was self raising flour, rub in some beef dripping, salt and water I think?

Chimo
02-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi

Here you go, heres one of many from one of my late Mums cookbooks.

Hope its what your looking for.

DUMPLINGS
4 oz. flour 2 oz. chopped suet J teaspoon pepper
J teaspoon baking 1 teaspoon finely cold water to mix
powder chopped parsley plenty of boiling
1 teaspoon salt 1 medium finely water or stock

chopped onion
Mix all the ingredients except boiling stock, add a little cold water, teaspoon by teaspoon to make a soft but firm dough: when it comes cleanly away from the sides of the basin it is right. Roll into 12 small balls. Have the water or meat stock boiling; put in the dumplings and cook, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes till dry inside and nicely swollen in size
Cheers
Chimo

shubeej
02-07-2007, 10:01 PM
choppa ,here is s a simple recipe that my mum & grandmother used
pour some selfraising flour into bowl about 1 - 2 cups, pinch salt , pinch pepper ,some chopped parsley if you like then mix with fork whilst adding some milk to form approx toothpaste consistancy,heat up your stew must be quite a lot of gravy then drop spoons of batter onto top of stew turn heat down to a slow simmer & place lid on pot ,try to avoid lifting lid off for about 10 minutes then check to see your nice fluffy dumplings, enjoy yum!
shubeej