PDA

View Full Version : Black Arrow

zedjack33
30-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Just looking at getting a new tub and have come across "black arrow" boats.

Has anyone out there had anything to do with them, and what is your piont veiw on how they would run around this area?!?!?!

Cheers zedjack33

megafish71
30-06-2007, 10:03 PM
When I lived in Darwin I worked for a company that supplied them with aluminium. Their boats are built strong, but they wouldn't be my choice of boat builder.

Ron

aqua rat
30-06-2007, 10:08 PM
They are made in my home town Darwin NT plate allium very sharp entry point good in short chop not big in free board and small company working out of a small shed in darwin (3 years ago last time i was there)

zedjack33
30-06-2007, 10:11 PM
So........your opinion?!?!?!?! Not quit good enough for this area?!?!?!

I mean, the web site looks great, but ..maybe not for these conditions?!?!?!?

Shanoss
30-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I've fished out of a few of them and can honestly say that i could not fault them. Obsession fishing tours used them exclusively when i lived up that way, and they were known for some pretty high profile clients. They were more of a longboat design years ago, dunno what style they are making them in now though. Well made boats, but it used to take the bloke that makes them ages to turn one out. he is definatley a perfectionist. A mate of mine had a custom built 6.5m Black arrow that was pushed along nicely by a 150 optimax, never overly uncomfortable rounding Charles Point, notorious for its short sharp chop, And equally at home up the south alligator.
Hope this helps..

Shane

zedjack33
01-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Cheers for the input guy's.

May do a bit more on that one yet!!

saurian
01-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Zedjack , grooms- man of mine had a black arrow . It was all new to us at the time and we waited with eager anticipation to see the outsiders boat ( broome/ nt ) when it arrived we thought that it was not quite as well finished as our boats but for the price , not bad. Well 6 months later he had split the hull and the only ideas where to add a whole new 4 mm bottom. Thus the boat had 2 hulls and my groom sold it , to a so called friend. It's still going to this day , and apart from the 2 hulls is quite adequate.
I still to this day am suss as to whether dave welded any of the hull or whether new labour was the cause , but regardless the welding was crap to say the least.
I had considered a boat like lilly-hopper for kimberley trips and still would consider a long range load carrier of a similar design.
The trailer supplied was fine as was the fitout and 60 yam 4 stroker.
The boat was simply applied to 1.5m chop as it was SAID designed for and the hull was replaced by arrow mob in darwin.
I'd be cautious but not negative to the boat designs as they are really pretty good for top end scenarios.
The boat in question was a 4.8/5m not a longbow . Blue metallic in question, looked good.
Apart from that they seem ok.
Ta

Dan5
01-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Saurian,i checked out that blue metalic boat at the Darwin boat show 2 year's ago you'r right when you say the welding was crap to say the very least pinhole's ,undercut,missed edge's,lack of fusion the lot.My mate had one of the first one's built for guiding work the quality was much better and as far as i know he had only very minor problems.But i have seen quite a few and quality in the finish off has been crap.Arafura and GS both do a much better finish/build quality.

zedjack33
02-07-2007, 07:51 AM
excellent input guys, thanks very much!!

Why Not
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Have a look at G.S Marine. I've got a 5.50m extreme, centre console, 140hp Suzi. I looked at Black Arrow also and found similar issues with the build quality.

It's got the freeboard, and handles the rough reasonably well. It cruises at 4000rpm on the plane all day. With a 19 inch prop she tops out at 6200 rpm and 62km/hr.

I use the boat in and around Darwin regularly with at least 4 up. The kids are safe in it and the boat takes us where we want to go from fishing Corroboree or going out to Cape Hotham.

Why Not

Why Not
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Here's a couple of photo's of the boat (hopefully).:D

Why Not

saurian
02-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Dan5 , good to know I'm not just being negative about arrows.
But boat I'm talking about was about 4/5 yrs ago so it's a similar problem by the sound of it. The only one I've seen and been in , I'd by a gs anyday.
Always liked them , the extremes are not my favourite but the trihull ones they make are pretty damn good in my books.
Anyway any gs over arrow.
Ta

Dan5
02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah mate that boat at the boat show was'nt new i dunno why it was on display?Have you checked out the arafura marine boat's?They make a nice solid hull no bell's and whistle's just a good boat and good to deal with.I'm personally not a fan of tri hull's after a couple of mate's bought various Stessle's ok for river work or billabong type stuff.If you live in Broome do they still make Ocean Pearl boat's over there i saw a couple of punt's that they made a while ago now but they looked pretty well made..Dan........

zedjack33
03-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Why not, That's a great looking tub!

Will also follow up.

It's a shame about the "arrow's", the have great chance to get a good export up a nd running if workmanship was there!

All points being taken onboard.

Thanks for your help guy's

saurian
03-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Dan , not living there anymore but yes Rod is still making ocean pearls , but they will cost just a tad more than a gs , might be in the to hard basket for zedjack
to arrange one ????
Ta

zedjack33
17-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Dan , not living there anymore but yes Rod is still making ocean pearls , but they will cost just a tad more than a gs , might be in the to hard basket for zedjack
to arrange one ????
Ta

Tried to find some details for Ocean Pearl boats but I am having difficulty.

Any help for contact/web site?????

I gotta have a look at these tubs. They may be worth checking out.

Thanks for your input guys!

Cheers:)