PDA

View Full Version : Painting a blank

kyber
30-06-2007, 10:06 AM
How do you go about painting a blank? I want to paint the whole rod a nice metallic purple.

Kid
30-06-2007, 06:58 PM
why do you want to paint it for?

tunaticer
30-06-2007, 08:12 PM
is the rod graphite?? if it is you could technically powdercoat it because it is a conductor i guess most paints will prolly fall apart with the glues or sealers or epoxy .

Jack.

Heath
01-07-2007, 03:39 AM
I've painted several using normal pressure packs, then have coated them with clear sealer & have had no probs.

I suggest you get your grips & reel seat on first, mask everything up & then paint the remaining blank. much easier.

HST
01-07-2007, 06:51 PM
The best to use is 2 pack auto paint ,Ive even used some of the custom range from Alsa to chrome finish a blank that gets dragged around the rocks with no troubles ,you carnt get a good photo as its to bright ,

Noelm
02-07-2007, 08:54 AM
best stuff to use is the stuff they paint plastic bumbers bars and stuff with because it is sort of flexible when dry I have painted a few and it seems to last for ages, but I guess as mentioned most paint will work, I just took the advice of a spray painter.

DR
02-07-2007, 09:17 AM
i suppose that you could also take into account, that if it is a light blank that any extra paint is going to start dampen the rods action, some of the paints mentioned can be a bit dense if not applied carefully, so maybe be careful how thick you apply.

B_E_N
02-07-2007, 11:33 AM
a tip, dont use model paint it got suggested to me before and its coming off already

sid_fishes
02-07-2007, 05:34 PM
hst, mate i,m looking at the DNA range of pigmants and paints . i have to admitt there are some great colours around these days, but are they hard to spray for the average guy , and are there dealers here in aus, thanks ian

kyber
02-07-2007, 10:22 PM
I didnt even think about 2 pack. I've got a friend who's a spray painter who owes me a few favours. Is it best to put the grips and reel seat on before painting and mask them off? or just paint the blank?

DR
02-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I didnt even think about 2 pack. I've got a friend who's a spray painter who owes me a few favours. Is it best to put the grips and reel seat on before painting and mask them off? or just paint the blank?

2 pac, but not too thick, thats the way to go, i'd paint the blank & then fit the grips.

if you can't get your mate to spray it, another way of using the 2 pac at home is to get a pc of plastic pipe that is a bit shorter than the blank,you need to be able to hold the end & not much bigger in dia one & a half in is good. seal one end. after a light under coat & a sand of blank, put thin 2 pac in the pipe, hold upright & get somewhere you can drop blank into pipe & slowly pull out careful not to drag blank on edge of tube. hang vertical while thin excess drips off. it doesn't matter what the butt looks like as it will be under the grips..
to hang you can use those spring loaded clips you get in Bunnings for a couple of $s with string attached..

points to remember don't fill tube too much as blank will displace paint & end up all over the ground :-/

clear as mud..

finga
03-07-2007, 06:20 AM
If you used real thin paint and dipped would the amount of thinners affect the resins in the blank??
Sorry but I'm always the cautious type.

DR
03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
If you used real thin paint and dipped would the amount of thinners affect the resins in the blank??
Sorry but I'm always the cautious type.

it shouldn't or never used too, but that was a long time ago:) most of the thinners evaporate reasonably quickly .

HST
03-07-2007, 08:05 PM
there is a lot of info to be sourced from this site its one of the top custom paint companies in the world .you can buy on line have a look at what they can do .

www.alsacorp.com/

with all paint work you will only get back what you put in ,putting the paint on is the easy part ,preparation is 9/10 of the job ,DONT use to much product spray very thin with good weather conditions ,take note of flash off times dont rush ,you can make rods that are out of this world ,ill take a few photos of some colors and post them later this week

finga
04-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Mate, I was showing the cook that website with that paint and all she said was NO for some reason???
Only one word over and over again NO.
The mind boggles with the possibilities.
Cheers :)

finga
04-07-2007, 12:59 PM
How do you go about painting a blank? I want to paint the whole rod a nice metallic purple.
Mudhole have purple blanks. Might as well get a pink one too ;D
http://shop.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Mud-Hole-Rod-Blank-Specials_2/Summer-Specials;jsessionid=ac112b321f4301bd8d20451f42c696 1b888a820f7485.e3eSc38TaNqNe34Pa38Ta38Lchb0

kyber
04-07-2007, 06:41 PM
My mate is going to 2 pack my blank for me. I had a look at some colours today and I think rod building is going to become very expensive, there were about 6 colours I liked and want a rod painted in each of them. I have decided to go with a pearl white with a very light metallic purple through it and finished with a clear. I cant wait.

I will put some pics up when I can.