PDA

View Full Version : New Ply Half-cab

fish-freak
29-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi aus fishers, just thought i should post pics of this great homemade ply boat. She was made by my mates father in law at bribie island. He is retired and constructed this vessel in his spare time taking about 8 years. She's approx 19ft long. I was invited to tag along on one of his test trips heading up the eastern side of bribie in average sea conditions. Overall this rig behaved well, with a soft dry ride. It's a real credit to the builder who's time, effort and attention to detail really paid off!!
cheers daz...

Reef_fisher
29-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Nice looking rig. Reckon owner builder is better, more attention to detail. Hope your mate gets the enjoyment out of it.

blu
29-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Nice !!! Well worth the wate...;D ;D ;D

blaze
29-06-2007, 08:46 PM
work of art, a true master piece
cheers
blaze

Chris Ryan
29-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Looks wonderful and the builder should be incredibly proud of themselves for that job. Nice lines on her mate.........lets hope that she carries all safely to plentiful fishing grounds for years to come.

Cheers,
Puff

bazzacuda
29-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Very nice indeed,
soft, dry, .... and I suppose quiet as well.
The two 90's are a bit of a surprise, is it a heavy boat, or do you know why he used this setup ?
cheers, Bazza

ozscott
29-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I havent seen a home made anywhere near as nice as that before...great stuff

MyEscape
30-06-2007, 06:16 AM
And I thought my Cruisecraft had nice lines!. I think that's a great piece of work. I'd love to have a close look at that one.

Was that his own design or are plans readily available. I've often thought about getting an older fibreglass hull and refurbishing it, but now I've seen that I'd give it some thought.

Steve

Chris Ryan
30-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Ditto Seajay. If the plans are available I would like to see what would be involved. It is one of the nicest "home made" vessels I have seen.

Chris

finga
30-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Definitely something you don't see everyday.
Yes, a work of art alright :)
I still see a few Hartley's around but unless you know what to look for you cannot tell the difference if the boat is plate or ply 50m away (or even 15m away sometimes and I reckon this boat is in that category).
What hull is the vessel based on??
I'd love to have a close look at it. If nothing else just to see how the top is put on. There looks like a lot of overhang up there. Excellent for fishing with no posts to get in the way. :)

That's one thing I'd really like to do before I cark it.. build a little boat out of wood :)
Cheers and tell your mate well done
Scott

fish-freak
30-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Very nice indeed,
soft, dry, .... and I suppose quiet as well.
The two 90's are a bit of a surprise, is it a heavy boat, or do you know why he used this setup ?
cheers, Bazza
Hi bazza, the owner orginally tried using only one of the 90's but found the vessel sat too high in the water and slightly under powered.
After getting some good advice from a local marine dealer he opted for the twin 90's and found the power to weight ratio much improved, in fact perfect!!

cheers daz...

DR
30-06-2007, 04:01 PM
wow, a sweet looking outfit.. as stated before, the builder should be proud of what has been accomplished :thumbsup:

any internal pics??

krazyfisher
30-06-2007, 04:51 PM
great work

jimbo59
30-06-2007, 05:08 PM
lovely boat

ffejsmada
30-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Very nice.
I built a timber sailing dory a few years back and the enjoyment and self satisfaction you get out of its completion is unreal.
Soak up all the compliments mate, after 8 years of toil and sometimes tedious work you deserve all the compliments and admiration that will come your way. I bet he's got a smile on his face!

Well done, lovely job.

Cheers Jeff;)

Mad-One
30-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Absolutely awesome and something to be proud of

Mad

Sea Bee
30-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Another nice looking ply boat!

Ply is a very under-rated material. I too have a ply boat. I am the second owner, with the previous owner building it. The hull was dynel sheathed, and looks like a glass boat until you look inside at the frames. And that is one of the benefits of a ply boat - you can look at the frames. When looking to buy a boat, I saw so many spongy glass boats that I had no confidence in old boats. I knew the design (straight chine Hartley) was a good one and I could inspect it properly top to bottom - no voids, so I knew I had a strong boat. And as ply is so under-rated, it was a cheap one as well.

One trick that the previous owner told me was to keep the inside of the hull un-painted so that it can breath. It's painted inside the cockpit for cleanliness, but elsewhere it is raw timber. Also, make sure to dry out any fresh water inside it. Salt water actually help protect it from rot, but fresh water is the enemy.

Wahoo
01-07-2007, 07:35 PM
the boat came up a treat, well done

Daz