PDA

View Full Version : Price of plate boats in New Zealand

Camo
28-06-2007, 08:52 AM
I've been pricing plate boats from different manufactures around Australia, and like some other people who have posted here I am amazed at how much the price has increased over the past couple of years. I have noticed that the price of plate boats in NZ is about 10 to 20 thousand cheaper than in Australia.

For example a Barcrusher 610HT from Surtees in NZ is about $46000. http://www.surtees.co.nz/acatalog/Sportfisher.html

A 670 is about $60000. A similar Barcrusher in Aust is about 70000 -80000. http://www.stonescornermarine.com.au/boatpackages.asp?ProdID=1320&ManImg=images%2Flogos%2Fbarcrusher%2Ejpg That's with a large demonstrator discount. I just wonder why the difference, when the currency is about the same. Maybe it's a tax thing, anyone have any ideas? That extra 10 - 20 grand could buy you a lot of extras if you lived in NZ

kingtin
28-06-2007, 09:13 AM
It might simply be market forces. Aussies are daft enough to pay the higher price, Kiwis are too tight arsed to ;) ;D

kev

insideout
28-06-2007, 09:21 AM
what sort of taxes- duties would be incurred if you were to buy a boat from there?

Camo
28-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Yeah you might be right Kingtin, market forces, or I thought it might be because of the cheap labour that they have in those third world countries. :)

Camo

kingtin
28-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah you might be right Kingtin, market forces, or I thought it might be because of the cheap labour that they have in those third world countries. :)

Camo

Can't be that mate.......... they haven't got any cheap labour over there............they're all over here, drawing the dole. ;) ;D

kev

Tim_N
28-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Sounds cheap, but you will have to add the following,
GST 10%
Duty 5%
Quarantine permit
Customs clearance
Terminal security surcharge
Customs management re-engineering fee
Terminal handling chardges
Port charges on LCL (less than a container load)
ISPS carrier security charge
Bunker adjustment factor
Electronic cargo automation fee
Delivery order fee
International freight
AES fee
Professional indemnity fee
Handling fee
Export documentation fee
Origin pier pass charges
Pick up charges
Marine cargo insurance
I think that while it may look good on paper, I know you would get a real fright when whole lot was added up. It is the same story with engines from the USA. Taking all of this into the equation, then doing the currency conversion, I reckon you will be better off getting a "made in Australia" boat by a long shot.
Tim

fishing111
28-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Tim N, Do you have an idea of what those charges would add up to ? Even a ballpark figure will do?

Wahoo
28-06-2007, 01:39 PM
just spoke to my uncle, he had 2 cadalacks ( sp) in a 40f container from the US and it cost him 6k
if thats any help

Daz

Mr__Bean
28-06-2007, 02:41 PM
It might simply be market forces. Aussies are daft enough to pay the higher price, Kiwis are too tight arsed to ;) ;D

kev

Absolute classic Kev, and dead accurate.......

- Darren

Far side
28-06-2007, 02:42 PM
put a 44 in the back and drive it over if your brave

Tim_N
28-06-2007, 02:46 PM
The prices are dependant on a lot of variables such as cubic measurement, (I think height is the problem there and a complete BMT package would not fit into a part container anyway), value of the goods etc and as the boat and/or outboard is not a container load, handling will cost big time, what the article is made from, meaning the customs dec, terminal charges, security etc would be substantial. By my guestimations, and I don't want anyone to hold me to anything here, I would suspect that the 610 would be approx early $60k and the 670 approx mid $70k, which is about what you would pay for 1 here. It is also a stressful proces to go through too. And don't expect the rig to come off the wharf looking like it has just left a showroom.
Just my experiences and thoughts.
Tim

Lewy
28-06-2007, 05:10 PM
I expect the price you are quoting incudes kiwi GSTwhich is not charged on exports coupled with the exchange rate which is about 10 - 12 % it may work out ok

Tim_N
28-06-2007, 05:34 PM
The packages start from these prices. They may be basic boats with 2 stroke engines, and no bells and whistles, eg electronics, canopies, etc, so by the time you option the boat up, factor in the importation fees, GST, Duty etc, I still think you will be better off shopping around in Oz. The guys who import these boats from NZ, do so in large numbers, hence the freight and the rest of the costs are far less than what someone importing a 1 off.
Tim

Camo
28-06-2007, 07:54 PM
put a 44 in the back and drive it over if your brave

It's funny I remember about ten or more years ago a bloke drove a 20 foot Haines Hunter to Japan. That was pre four stroke or direct injection days. I wonder how long it would take to drive from NZ to Brisbane and how much fuel you'd use? Nah don't think I'll do it, because you'd have to drive it back again to NZ to get it's 20hr service. :D I guess I'll just have to go and see Col at Fisher.

Camo