PDA

View Full Version : Battery & Charger

Lachie
26-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Hey Guys,
i need some info on batteries etc. what will i need for a 44lb bow mount electric i.e what size, vaultage etc and also what type of charger?? i have no idea about this stuff...
Cheers
Lachie

NormC
26-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Lachie, I swear by AGM batteries. Fully sealed and you can put them on their side or even upside down. I used to use one on it's side under the seat in a canoe. If you are not familiar with them, check out this link:
http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/
Also some good info on chargers on that link.

AGM batteries are a bit more expensive than normal deep cycles, but worth the money in my view. Fullriver is a brand with a good reputation and is reasonably priced.

If you will use the 'leccy for trolling (ie a fair bit of use), I'd go for a 100 or 120 AH battery. I personally use a 60 AH (to reduce weight), but I don't do a lot of trolling - mostly flicking lures. With a 100 AH, you should get at least 4 or 5 hours of running, probably more, but this depends on speed, tide, wind etc. Your motor will be 12 V. Don't use a normal vehicle starter battery. It won't go the distance as it is designed for short duration high current. You need a deep cycle battery designed for long duration low current.

For chargers, you can't beat the modern multi stage ones. Two of the best brands are CTek (which I have) and Xantrex. Both expensive but very good. I believe Projecta are also pretty good and probably a bit cheaper. If you will have only one battery, a 7 Amp (approx) charger will do the job and charge a 100 AH battery overnight. I have a 25 Amp charger, but I have multiple batteries and want to charge quicker using a generator when camping.

Hope this helps.

Norm C