PDA

View Full Version : Size boat for offshore??

GreekBoi
26-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Hey, I posted a question a week or so ago about boat size for bays and the answer was 14 - 15 ft, now I would like to know a good size boat needed to go offshore?

And what type of boat..like center console or half cabin..I will be using it for fishing with mates, 3 - 4 people..but most the time only 3 people.

Marlin_Mike
26-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Offshore.......could be aNYTHING FROM 15FT UP...................very broad answer

mIKE

Wahoo
26-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Offshore.......could be aNYTHING FROM 15FT UP...................very broad answer

mIKE

LoL, WhaTs WitH Da CaP LocKs MikE ;D

DaZ

Edencraft
26-06-2007, 06:08 PM
More to do with hull design, and the climate where you fish, how far offshore and in what kind of condition you want to venture out in.

Todd

GreekBoi
26-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Well I wouldn't go really far offshore, like 1 - 2 km and hopefully good weather conditions..Not really choppy..

seatime
26-06-2007, 06:44 PM
if you're in Brisbane, 1-2 km offshore will mean rounding the cape, negotiating a coastal bar etc, then you may want to go further, then you need to get home. with 3 POB I'd like 18-20 ft cuddy or half cab. of course it can be done in the right conditions with a smaller open or centre console boat, but my choice will offer more options in varying conditions.
then it comes down to the nitty gritty of hull types, some 18fters may not be as capable as some smaller boats, so the size is a bit of a generalisation, and only MO. lots of variables, though IMO that size and style would be a place to start.

regards
Steve

adds31
26-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Mate with three to four people on board something around the 20 ft mark should keep you out of trouble. Where abouts will you be heading 1-2 k's offshore? A boat around that size will give you a few more offshore fishing options as well.

Cheers Adds...

finding_time
26-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Well I wouldn't go really far offshore, like 1 - 2 km and hopefully good weather conditions..Not really choppy..

Surf Ski should be just about perfect , and you'll even get fit;)

As has been already been said it really depends on style of boat, some 14 footers are more than capable and some 20 footers are far from safe.

Ian

Pual44
26-06-2007, 09:25 PM
G'day GreekBoi,
as said above there are lots of variables and even in the big boats they watch the weather conditions very closely, sure the're able to handle the difficult conditions a bit better but you still have to do the miles and learn the ropes. Just because you have a big boat doesn't mean you can just blast out there. Theres no substitute for experience but you've started in a good place by asking those who have some epxerience.
I myself have been fishing out of Brisbane and the Sunshine coast offshore for the last 10 -12 years, unfortunately I had to teach myself but asked quite a few questions around the boat yards and read a lot of magazines. During that 10 - 12 years I have had to boats to fish from both have been around the 17 -18 ft with 18 - 20 degree V hull - 1st one was a Seafarer Viking (cuddy style but you couldn't sit in there)- great boat heeps of deck space for 2 -3 blokes to fish and very predictable sea handling qualities.
2nd boat - Cruise Craft Reeffinder (true cuddy with short bunks the kids like to crash out on)- again a great boat heaps of deck space and predictable with just as good handling qualities as the seafarer.
Both boats had high windscreen to either sit behind or stand behind when driving, and moderate V hulls which means the ride aint great but a compromise between a fair ride and fairly stable while fishing, and both boats had no nasty handling characteristics (shouldn't forget the seafarer would take water over the nose every now and then, nothing to serious, useful really to keep the skipper and crew awake/swearing/laughing at the one that got drenched).
I fished from both these boats safely up to 25 miles offshore but I watched the weather closely and was prepared to turn back if conditions were unfavourable.
I've probably said more than you wanted know, but heh just trying to help.
Hope you find the info useful. Both these boats are still around on the second hand market, the newer models of these ones are great boats as well.
Cheers

GreekBoi
26-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys for the infomation.

Ninja
27-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Pual said it well....there is no set answer for your question as it mostly depends on your ability to handle your boat and the weather etc. I feel safe out as far as the 35fathom reefs in my 3.7 mt tinny and 15hp and as far as my 160lt of petrol takes me in my 5mt center console. Don't limit yourself to thinking that you will only want to take it 1-2km offshore. Once your out there the seas only usually get better further out (unless westerlies). In SEQ weather center consoles are fine unless you plan on attacking large bars where the nose can pour over the nose. For 3-4 people you probably wouldn't want much smaller then 5mt to be comfortable.

Far side
27-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Go and do Bill Cortons Bar crossing course you will get a feel for boats and bars for off shore.
Then do the deep sea fishing course. You will learn a lot about boats weather and what you need. If you have no experence this is probably the best way to learn plus its great fun. Sure I have seen open tinnies out there and 6 meter jobs you can get out if the weather and conditions are good but you need to be aware that if the weather goes south what you have will get you back.