PDA

View Full Version : Which Forecast ? ? ?

fella
25-06-2007, 07:36 PM
seabreeze or BOM . for instance sunday 24/6 seabreeze showing light SW sunny coast when it was blowin it,s t*#S off about 25/30 S. BOM was on the money but i'm wondering why the huge differance. . :-/

Mtx
25-06-2007, 07:39 PM
BOM said 20 - 25knts s/se for sunday so we canned fishing. Got up, not even a light breeze anywhere....

both dodgey

Brumby
25-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Both and then look out the window!

CQHORNET
26-06-2007, 06:44 AM
Both plus weatherzone and then look out the window.

DNO

seatime
26-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Yeah Sunday was off a bit wasn't it.:-/

It pays to check out a few of the forecasts and then make an educated guess, hard to make plans where you're relying on the forecast.

bom, seabreeze, buoyweather, all have different modelling software so at times have different forecasts, sometimes all are off the mark.:-[
weatherzone looks like the bom forecast in a different format.

the bom site has pages with tutorials on doing your own forecasting and weather predicting. 8-)

regards
Steve

bayfisher
26-06-2007, 07:46 AM
I use BOM, seabreeze and bouyweather, the later of the 2 I suspect collect BOM data and model them in their own user friendly way. However in this last week or two I don’t think any of the sites have got the prediction spot on, it seems to change almost hourly which can be awfully frustrating if you cancel a fishing trip because of their prediction only to find later that day the prediction has changed to match the current wind strength, direction etc, You can almost stick your head out the window come up with the same predictions as these sites at times. If you wish to get a more accurate picture of what’s going on and make your own predictions study the Weather charts on BOM they are probably your best bet at making your own “correct” prediction which hopefully is supported by all of the above mentioned weather sites.

Cheers Chris

seatime
26-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Spot on bayfisher,

you'll notice the seabreeze 'live readings' are a direct feed from the bom observation stations. suspect buoyweather gathers from the same resources. they then model using their own designs. The bom tutorials have details on interpreting msl charts, combine these with satellite pics, prognostic charts. extended outlook, and you'll have an indication of what's to come.
It's not an exact science as in a lot of cases they're basing predictions on what has happened historically.

Steve B
26-06-2007, 10:32 AM
I use a site called accuweather (just google that and it should point you in the right direction) It is an O/Seas site, but you just enter what region, city you want a forecast for and it gets it. You can get a 15 day forecast too. it seems to update forecasts regularly. It gives you a morning/avo/night predictions. I find it to be extremely accurate too, especially up around Bundaberg and Gladstone. I was put onto it by a pro fisherman who swears by the site.

hope this might give everyone another option to check out other than BOM!!!

cheers steve

kingtin
26-06-2007, 11:35 AM
That's right folks...........that's all we need to do. 11.30 am and sea breeze is showing a wind speed of 20 knots. The leaves aren't even trembling here at Bracken Ridge.........It's a long way from 20 knots to flat calm ::) How can they get it that wrong :-/

Let's hope they've got it wrong for the rest of the week also............Long weekend at the Pin, here I come :D

kev

Dirtysanchez
26-06-2007, 11:46 AM
All I know is it's raining !! my tanks are over flowing & I had to modify my plumbing to handle the overflow :D

JasonT went out last night, in the Pine & did quite well
Enjoy your weekend

webby
26-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Dont no what seabreeze your looking at, but every wind measurer from the cape to peel has been showing 10kts or less all day ??????

kingtin
26-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Dont no what seabreeze your looking at, but every wind measurer from the cape to peel has been showing 10kts or less all day ??????

Agreed. I'm talking about the forecast and the fact that they leave it as is, without updating.

kev

kingtin
26-06-2007, 12:10 PM
All I know is it's raining !! my tanks are over flowing & I had to modify my plumbing to handle the overflow :D

JasonT went out last night, in the Pine & did quite well
Enjoy your weekend

I will do mate, thanks.

Haven't heard from Jason, or Brandon for a while. Jason deserves to do well if he went out in that rain.

kev

devocean
26-06-2007, 12:24 PM
All I know is that it has been raining now for 3 bloody weeks havnt seen the sun in 3 weeks and I am going mad. I know you blokes need a rain but I feel like I am living in England

disorderly
26-06-2007, 12:32 PM
All I know is that it has been raining now for 3 bloody weeks havnt seen the sun in 3 weeks and I am going mad. I know you blokes need a rain but I feel like I am living in England

Know how you feel.I had a look at the rainfall charts this morning at the PO and where I live we have had just 55 dry days this year and most of these days were short periods in between weeks of rain.(so we still stomp around in mud up to the ankles)
And dont get me started about the wind...

Scott

kingtin
26-06-2007, 12:34 PM

They've got it bad there atm. :'(

kev

seatime
26-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I use a site called accuweather (just google that and it should point you in the right direction) It is an O/Seas site, but you just enter what region, city you want a forecast for and it gets it. You can get a 15 day forecast too. it seems to update forecasts regularly. It gives you a morning/avo/night predictions. I find it to be extremely accurate too, especially up around Bundaberg and Gladstone. I was put onto it by a pro fisherman who swears by the site.

hope this might give everyone another option to check out other than BOM!!!

cheers steve

thanks for the tip steve, added accuweather to my favs.8-)

I'll monitor it over the next week down here and see how it compares. the wind strength prediction style is different, one can never have too many references sources for the weather imo.:)

cheers
Steve

disorderly
26-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Accuweather added to my faves.
It looks the goods.
Typed in my closest city (Cairns) and it tells me that today there is a minimal chance of heavy snow .http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

It also tells me that this full moon weekend it will be great fishing weather(5-6 knots and clear.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cool.gif

Now thats what I like to hear.

Scott

sea-rash
26-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I may be wrong but I believe seabreeze are forecasting for the coast. At this time of year particularly that may mean an offshore breeze on the coast but a different situation offshore. I find buoy a lot better as they are forecasting for a theoretical buoy out to sea.

Regards

Rob

seatime
26-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Rob,

I think seabreeze is forecasting for Brisbane, whether that's Bris city or the general region, not sure.
buoyweather's virtual buoy is more like a high seas forecast if you look on the virtual buoy map or plot the lat/long.
I subscribe to buoyweather and get their 7 dayer's, can also create virtual buoys in new locations. You can either enter a new lat/long, or drag an existing buoy to a new spot and get the forecast, can't be too near another VB or you get the existing VB forecast.
e.g. the VB off Cape Moreton can be dragged in and down, though I don't mind the high seas predictions as they will be worse than in closer, allows for a safety margin.

regards
Steve

Steve B
26-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Scott and steve,

Yeah I hope it predicts good now that I reccommended it!!! :D I particularly like the 15 day forecast, although it changes all the time! not always for the best.

Scott, I reckon it's got as much chance at predicting snow in cairns as it would NSW winning next State of Origin:P :D You guys in FNQ would do it tough if it did snow! all the sweedish backpackers would wear more than just Bikinis:P ;D

cheers steve

tunaticer
26-06-2007, 10:29 PM
I have been using this one: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/94578.html
for several months and it seems to be about 3 times more accurate than the bom or seabreeze.
you can watch it updating every 20 mins or so with % ratings for rainfalls and breezes etc

Jack

rando
27-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi guys .
It pays to remember weather conditions are both variable and localized.When i was sailing competitively we would often see different wind patterns from one end of a course to another. For instance in an area as small as Waterloo bay you might have two different wind patterns , including different strength and direction ,within the space of a nautical mile, and also out on the bay where land forms have less influence. These patterns were stable enough so that as we progressed around the course repeatedly you would have to adjust you tactics to account for the differences.
Further to this theme My fishing buddy lives in Brisbane's western suburbs and I am near Breakfast creek. The number of times he has called to say its blowing its head off do you still want to go ??? and Ive looked out the wind and said " your a" big girls blouse " it wouldnt blow out a candle just reinforces for me you need to look at the weather charts and make your own forecast.

A bit of rock & roll does'nt bother me at all so I'm always keen to go. Just because you cant drive the boat flat out does'nt mean its dangerous , just a bit uncomfortable.

B_E_N
27-06-2007, 12:54 PM
just do what i do look out the window! but im pretty close to the water, can see it from my footpath.

Coastie
27-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Typed in my closest city (Cairns) and it tells me that today there is a minimal chance of heavy snow .

Would that be Cairns in Alabama?

Accuweather has been pretty good for me, but wouldn't they all get their readings from the BOM weather stations in some form.

The mac I use has widgets which have the weather pop up on screen which is great for a very quick check, wind, weather, moon and tide all set to local areas. The widget people claim they can be used on a PC but I'm not certain.

Cheers CC

NEWBY
27-06-2007, 07:39 PM
I use BOM, seabreeze and bouyweather, the later of the 2 I suspect collect BOM data and model them in their own user friendly way. However in this last week or two I don’t think any of the sites have got the prediction spot on, it seems to change almost hourly which can be awfully frustrating if you cancel a fishing trip because of their prediction only to find later that day the prediction has changed to match the current wind strength, direction etc, You can almost stick your head out the window come up with the same predictions as these sites at times. If you wish to get a more accurate picture of what’s going on and make your own predictions study the Weather charts on BOM they are probably your best bet at making your own “correct” prediction which hopefully is supported by all of the above mentioned weather sites.

Cheers Chris

Chris, Buoyweather collects data from NASA. It doesnt amalgamate with BOM in any way shape or form. Although Buoyweather uses VIRTUAL buoys that you can place anywhere offshore you wish, I have found them much more accurate than BOM or any other. I have never heard of accuweather but I am definately going to look. For my money at thhis stage, I am very pro buoyweather. I pay the annual fee as well so I can get 7 day forcasts but have learnt that 7 days out changes frequently.

zulu
28-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Have to agree with Newby, I also subscribe to Bouyweather [for about 3 years] and found their service to be the most accurate. The 7 day outlook is a great feature. When planning a trip I will still compare BOM. and Seabreeze.
Looking out the window, does not help me much, I live 50 km from the the water:(

Cheers Troy.