PDA

View Full Version : Old Hornybrook bridge

FNQCairns
25-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Just saw on TV they have it scheduled for demolition next year - why do all the simple society improving/maintaing assets get wrecked! It is a shame even if there is no money in it for big business.

cheers fnq

Kleyny
25-06-2007, 06:56 PM
From what I'm lead to believe that the Redcliffe City Council is wanting to maintain the old girl BUT the Brisbane City Council is not.

Last I heard RCC was going to keep some of its part of the bridge.

But this is all second hand info and a little old at that. As we are all aware things change daily with these councils.

neil

Sea-Dog
25-06-2007, 06:57 PM
From a cynical viewpoint.... It's because people use it, that's why it has to go !

We can't have people (especially fisherfolk) enjoying something that their taxes have paid for can we?

Chris Ryan
25-06-2007, 07:07 PM
As per the post in another thread - I wonder if we can get the rubble shot out into a part of the bay and turned into an arty reef. Can you imagine it - council, DPI and EPA working together......

Kleyny
25-06-2007, 07:12 PM
As per the post in another thread - I wonder if we can get the rubble shot out into a part of the bay and turned into an arty reef. Can you imagine it - council, DPI and EPA working together......
LOL i think you've bumped your head mate;D ;D

Luc
25-06-2007, 08:30 PM
The bridge failed all structural test done a few months ago so it was condemmed. To maintain it would have cost far more than building a new one.

Most of the pylons are falling to pieces and about all that's left of the surface is the layers of bitumen. That's why there are all those fenced off bits.

The amount of bitumen is also why it's unlikely they'll use any of it to make artificial reefs. It will be interesting to see how they actually go about demolishing the old girl.

When the new road bridge is built, 2 fishing platforms will also be built where the 2 chanels are with access from the bike/pedestrian lane on the new bridge.

There may also be stairs to give access from the fishing platforms to the flats.

THis link will give you more info.

http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/MRWEB/prod/CONTENT.NSF/0/d1ca190eeed0f6ed4a2572f0001614ea/$FILE/Houghton%20Hwy%20newsletter.pdf

Luc

-spiro-
25-06-2007, 11:42 PM
They should just leave it there to destruct itself over time. I remember as a boy going over the bridge with waves crashing on it and spray shooting over the car. It's part of Redciffes heritage. LEAVE IT ALONE

Luc
26-06-2007, 12:10 AM
And if it's left to slowly disintegrate, we can expect the next step which will be to close ALL access to the bridge because it's unsafe and the local councils and state government are paranoid about getting sued.

The bridge provides fishing access to many people who cannot afford a boat as well as the disabled.

I'd rather see it pulled down and the fishing access restored as part od building the new bridge.

Luc

AutoPilot
26-06-2007, 08:03 AM
I agree with luc also...the bridge at present is a acident waiting to happen.The new proposal looks good.Id rather my tax $ go to something safe & out of the way of traffic..At least they listened to the public for once !!!!
Thats my two cents worth

Cheers
Scott

FNQCairns
26-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Jaded but with history as a guide I cannot see there being access to fishing granted on the new bridge, if it is it will be far more sophisticated as is today AKA too hard or unsafe to take kids except in the middle of the day.

Regardless there will be a whole generation of kids who will miss out (bridge gone to bridge built = 8 years?), dads are better off sinking beer watching vids with the kids on the couch anyway (thats our planners position) it's no mystery why society has gone down hill, thumbs up to our managers for keeping up the effort (rolls eyes). The young bloke on his pushy is better of learning the right way to sniff butane with his second choice mates because his first choice is gone or did not exist.

Anything is possible, it's just given todays priorities only the very least is probable IMO.

cheers fnq

Chris Ryan
26-06-2007, 08:51 AM
LOL i think you've bumped your head mate;D ;D

Wonder what happened - who am I again, what year is it??? ::)

rando
26-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Think of the amount of timber in that bridge! The recycler who gets that contract will become a multimillionaire

Marlin_Mike
26-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Heres a link to a press release from Peter Beattie's office about the bridge. Scroll down, theres half a page on the old bridge

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/StatementDisplaySingle.aspx?id=40484

Mike

juju
26-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Im remember as a kid driving over it once in really windy stuff...was always fun when the waves were smashing into the rails..and water comming onto the road...shame to see it go

Freeeedom
26-06-2007, 07:23 PM
If you've had a look at the underside of it from a boat you'll understand why it has to go. Being underneath it is SCARY. You expect lumps of bitumen or rotten wood to fall into your boat at any time. I understand that the section on the Clontarf end as far as the Hayes Inlet channel will be repaired to provide a fishing platform but the rest will be demolished. The cost of repair of the whole structure or a major part would be astronomical.
Cheers Freeeedom

Marlin_Mike
26-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I was told 300 mts on the northern side is staying thee rest goes

Mike

haggis
26-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I also heard the same Marlin mike .
the bridge was of the first palces i caught fish when i came to Australia .
it is sad to see the bridge go as it should be part of Redcliffes heritage .
The effort put in to cutting the trees and dragging them with horses to
the timber yards and then to build the bridge back then with the limited
machinery they had has to be something worth keeping so future generations may understand how easy they have it now ..................
cheers fae haggis ..................