PDA

View Full Version : thread colour change

sid_fishes
24-06-2007, 07:10 PM
i have just finished the lion weave on the rod that i started at the rbw, because i coated the binds with thread sealer[ flexcoat] i did the same to the weave , but now some of the thread has turned black, and i,m at a loss as to why it happened. and no i,m cutting it off again, any ideas as to why it happened, and how to fix it would be great cheers ian

Owen
24-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Are they still black after it's dried?

I have found some colours change completely when you first apply the CP, but revert back as it dries.
A blue or purple might go black.

What thread brand & colour?

sid_fishes
25-06-2007, 05:49 PM
owen,mate parts are black and the rest is a dark grey, the thread that i used is madeira gold metallic for the binds and for the lion, and now the more i look at it , its gone it looks like shit for 20 hours worth of work[ 3 times]i,m over it just need to understand what i did wrong thanks ian ps how was china

Owen
25-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Ian,
Was it polyneon or rayon madeira?
The first lot of madeira I bought from a a craft store was rayon.
It darkened a lot when I put the CP on. I had three shades of grey and they all ended up pretty much the same.
The more I read, the more evident it is that you should only use the polyneon.
I haven't used flex coat so I can't comment it, but it seems popular on the US rod building forums.
I used Erskines CP. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about his finish, but his was the only CP I could buy in Gladstone.
The polyneon stuff is designed for use in clothing, so it is colour fast and chlorine/UV resistant, but I have heard that if you don't use CP then the coating on it can cause fisheyes in your finish.
I suppose in hidsight we should always wrap a bit of dowel with all the threads we plan to use and CP & finish it before we start a rod.

As to China, I only went to Shanghai.
Lets just say if they were looking to give the world an enema, then I know where to put the tube.
The pollution was cronic. Never saw the sun the whole time I was there.

sandyd
26-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Hi Ian

Are you able to post a pic of your wrap?
20 hours Ian I think I would have cried. Sorry to hear but I hope the next one works for you.

DR
26-06-2007, 09:34 AM
i suppose my question is ..why would you use a clothing grade thread instead of a Gudebrod or any other rod building designated thread..?????:-/

Owen
26-06-2007, 11:05 AM
I think you will find that fishing/rod building is a miniscule part of any thread manufacturers annual sales. I doubt there is anything magical about thread for rods. It just requires a given size, strength & material.
The range of colours offered by the likes of madeira is a major attraction. Also as with most things we have been conditioned to believe we have to pay the prices that gudebrod, speed etc charge just because they say it is designed for rods.
I can get an 1100 yard roll of madeira for the same price as they want for 100 yards of gudebrod. Of course if it doesn't work than the cost is immaterial, but it does work fine if you use the right type and procedures.

sid_fishes
26-06-2007, 05:21 PM
dave , the reason i went to madeira was the colour match was perfect. and at first i was worried about using thread sealer, but when i did the binds all was good . sandy mate i wish i could show you but i cant seem to get close enuff with the camera.[ but i will try again], but as we chat i,m cutting it off to start again on the weekend, i love this rod building stuff. no wonder i,m blind and drink way to much,

sandyd
28-06-2007, 06:08 AM
dave , the reason i went to madeira was the colour match was perfect. and at first i was worried about using thread sealer, but when i did the binds all was good . sandy mate i wish i could show you but i cant seem to get close enuff with the camera.[ but i will try again], but as we chat i,m cutting it off to start again on the weekend, i love this rod building stuff. no wonder i,m blind and drink way to much,

Its a bit like lawn bowls, wrap one take a drink, wrap two take another drink. Wake up next morning and see what you got.

Glad to see you are not beaten by this, but would still like to know what went wrong. I have only tried the Polyneon threads by madeira and have had no problem with them at all. It you read up on some of the other sites other people use these threads too and have for many a year and they have had no problem with them.
On saying this I have not used the metallic so I not sure what has gone wrong there but like to know if it is the thread or the thread sealer or both. Did you use the same thread on the binds as on the weave?

Bearclaw
28-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Ian you haven't saturated the weave and wrap with CP fully on the first application and the finish has penetrated the thread where the CP hasn't penetrated the thread. This will darken the thread.

sid_fishes
28-06-2007, 04:00 PM
myles, long time away ,how are you? as to your question no i didnt i,m not sure i like the stuff really,so i am really carefull with it. when idid the binds the colours darkened a little, not much , but this was an upset ,but hey we live and learn thanks for all the help guys cheers ian