PDA

View Full Version : 540F fitout

jigsnreels
24-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first post as jigsnreels. I used to be yockman hereabouts but have recycled myself now due to ongoing login probs.

Anyway, I've just bought a signature 540f/130 honda and want to make a few additions, namely hydraulic steering, a new sounder and vhf.

I'd appreciate a look at your dasboard and transom setups, also to know what hydraulic steering you've got and what you think of it. Had hydrive frontmount on my last boat and it was good, but I'm not sure if it will fit the 540. Can't easily check this at the moment cause the boat is a long way away (Sydney) and I'm in Tas. Going up in September to get it.

All info much appreciated

Jigs

marco
24-06-2007, 08:18 PM
i had a 540 f and fitted sea star steering to it and that was great , down side was it made it a bit harder to drive on to the trailer but still it was worth it .
vhf i would go icom and sounder i would recommend furuno 620 or 585 . it's all qaulity gear but is a bit dearer .

jigsnreels
24-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Marco.

I'd be interested to know what model seastar you bought. I 'd prefer the front mount setup if it will fit.

Re the sounder, :P, i meant plotter, will prolly keep my ff50 from the other boat.

Cheers,
Yockman

SNAPPERCOFFIN
25-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Yockman,

You will only need a Baystar Kit with a 1.4 helm on a 130 hp. Vhf navman are the go and are priced well. Plotters Lowrance use navionics charts which are heaps better than c-map and the tracking memory is heaps bigger.

Mark

marco
25-06-2007, 04:47 PM
i had the front mount steering , checkout their web site

http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/OUTBOARD/oboard.htm

as for the vhf , i have heard mixed reports of navman , some love em some hate them .

which iswhy i went icom as all i read was good reports , some things you need quality and a vhf is one of them . (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/which%20iswhy%20i%20went%20icom%20as%20all%20i%20r ead%20was%20good%20reports%20,%20some%20things%20y ou%20need%20quality%20and%20a%20vhf%20is%20one%20o f%20them%20.)
and your plotter gets a good rap so probably wise to keep that

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=68987

i had 2 lowrances in mine and they played up alot

fish-freak
25-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first post as jigsnreels. I used to be yockman hereabouts but have recycled myself now due to ongoing login probs.

Anyway, I've just bought a signature 540f/130 honda and want to make a few additions, namely hydraulic steering, a new sounder and vhf.

I'd appreciate a look at your dasboard and transom setups, also to know what hydraulic steering you've got and what you think of it. Had hydrive frontmount on my last boat and it was good, but I'm not sure if it will fit the 540. Can't easily check this at the moment cause the boat is a long way away (Sydney) and I'm in Tas. Going up in September to get it.

All info much appreciated

Jigs
Hi jigs, i have got hydrive hyd/steering in my 17L haines. Have found it to be faultless since the day it was installed!! cheers daz...

jigsnreels
25-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Yep, I installed the hydrive frontmount on my last boat too and it was great.

The whole hydrive/seastar/baystar debate another story I won't go into here. I'd always thought hydrive was the best of the systems though I heard an interesting comment y'day from a guy who has recently put a very $$$$$ newyanmar diesel into a big trihull he'd built. Yanmar required one of their staff to be onboard to observe proper run-in of the engine and the yanmar guywas strongly stating he thought the seastar system to be way ahead of the other two.

OK, fire away, got my flakjacket on now.

Cheers,
Jigs

Grand_Marlin
07-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Sorry I missed this Steve,

Seatar and Hydrive are both excellent units.

Baystar is also good, but is the lighter duty, cheaper version of seastar.

Get Arny to look it up in the BLA catalogue ... that will give you the model you need.

Icom is the best of the radios available at the moment ... the M304 will do you perfectly.

Cheers

Pete

jigsnreels
08-07-2007, 07:55 PM
G'day Pete,

So I got the Haines after all. We'll see, I reckon it'll be ok.

Was in Melbourne for the boatshow y'day and there were plenty of seastar fans. Somewhere along the line I'd picked up the idea that they were inferior to the hydrive - maybe not so after all.

Some nice boats there - tough market in the 5.3 - 6m fishing boat category.

You must be seeing a few plotters atm, what do you like? I'm looking at a lowrance 5200 or eagle 640. Better res on the eagle but there's a downside - they make the numbers appear smaller and i don't want to be putting on glasses to read the bloody thing8-)8-)

Been living on stripey and blueye the last month - are you jealous?

Grand_Marlin
08-07-2007, 08:26 PM
G'day Steve,

Yes, I see you got the Haines ... time will tell, but you will never tell me the truth anyway !!!!

Lets see if it is for sale in 10 months or 10 years !!

Give me a call re: your steering, Icom and Lowrance / Eagle stuff, as I will get it for you at the right price - I have accounts with all of them.

Stripey? Trevalla? nah .. its all over rated :'( :'(

Give me good 'ol Queensland glorified baitfish anyday :'( :'(

Cheers

Pete

ps Have you sold the Caribbean?