PDA

View Full Version : Hay Point Area

MyEscape
24-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Hello all,

My wife and I have just purchased a house at the Hay Point area and whilst I have previously lived in Mackay (presently in Gladstone) haven't fished at all around Hay Point.

We have a boat (Cruisecraft Explorer 500) and was looking for spots around this area.

Any hints?

Cullen Island looks around 40k's from Hay Point which is a nervous distance for my wife so might be looking a little closer. Any reefs around this area. I noticed there are some shoals to the north, east of Round and Flattop islands.

Any assistance is appreicated.

Steve

BobbyJ123
24-06-2007, 08:39 AM
G'day mate, have a squiz at this link, it gives most of the Mackay area fishing areas and boat ramps.
Some good fishing at Sunken Reef, out from Armstrong Beach. The snapper are there this time of the year. It is about 15 km south of Sarina Beach.

http://fishingline.com.au/Queensland/Mackay/Fishing/Haypoint.htm

peterbo3
24-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Steve,
Any of the islands off Sarina Beach are good spots. If you get out early before the SE wind cranks up then you will have it on your stern on the way back to Hay Point. If your wife is a bit nervous start around Victor Is after dark. Fish the West side if the SE is howling but get there in daylight to check out the bommies. Some BIG critters get caught near Victor.
Sunken Reef is pretty big but these numbers will get you onto it:
21 27 600
149 24 270