PDA

View Full Version : Gut Hooked, Release or not ????

shaman
23-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi guys, just wondering who releases gut hooked fish and what their survival rates are. Obviously depends on species and retrieval methods but what about hook types ???
I don't use stainless hooks because apparently they don't dissolve as easily in the gut but do we know if there really is a diiference between bronzed and nickel plated hooks?? I find most brands of bronzed hooks to be of a thicker gauge wire and for that reason when bream fishing for example I prefer nickel plated...
What are your thoughts and what do you do with gut hooked fish???
Keep or release????

Luc
23-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Any fish released has a better change of survival that those in the fish box.

If you don't want to keep it, release it.

Ultimately it's your judgement call.

Have a look at this site for more info on fish survival.

http://www.info-fish.net/releasefish/

Luc

ffejsmada
23-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I agree with Luc that if you don't want the fish release it.

I've caught fish with hooks half hanging out of their ar$e, so I guess they were probably gut hooked when released or when they busted off earlier.:-/

Jeff

VoodooChile78
23-06-2007, 08:51 PM
There's been articles in the fishing mags about release survival rates...basically if you gut hook it and don't want to or can't keep it, leave the hook in place...trying to get it out will do more damage and reduce the survival rate.

DaveSimpson
23-06-2007, 11:36 PM
VoodooChile78 has beaten me to it lol :),

Usually if I guthook a fish, with a barbed hook - chances are you won't be able to get the hook out for love nor money and unless your a medical surgeon your hands won't be delicate enough to do so without causing fatal damage.

If the hook is barbless I will give it a bit of a go but if I can't do it, I put the fish back, or keep it.

You'd be suprised at what a fish can survive, there have been fish I've caught where I can visibly see maybe 3-4 big sized hooks still inside the internals and it had obviously survived.

Davemclean
24-06-2007, 02:38 AM
if it is barbless hook, just fashion a large disgorger, I'll try and find plans, and run that down the line to the hook, give a gentle push and it should come free

with barbed hooks, it is a bit more difficult, a fishes stomach is a lot more elastic than people realise, give an ever so gentle pull on the line to see if it moves easily, and if it does, keep carefuly pulling until you see the stomach coming up with the hook, then, with a pair of artery clamps grab the hook on the shank and and carefully twist it up, towards you or, or get a pair of pliers and cut the hook

or if you don't feel confident, cut the line as far back as you can and just release

Jack Thomas
24-06-2007, 02:46 AM
it really depends on the type of hook. I use very thin hooks that tend to rust out earlier, but ifyou are fishing for a fish that predominately you are going to release, you should really use circles. Once you get the hang of them, they land in the corner of the mouth each time...

Steve B
24-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, I was under the impression that fish actually spit or fester the hooks out after a short period of time (within a week) not the actual hook rusting out. I would have thought the rusting process would take years! I know in the human body any foriegn object (ie splinter or piece of metal) will be rejected by the body through the bodies infection processes. It will eventually puss up and work its way out. I assume this would be the same for fish.
I have heard of a bloke who is growing various species of fish in fresh water tanks who put hooks in the mouths of his fish as an experiment. By the next morning the hooks were lying on the bottom of the tank. I don't know how deep he shoved them in though!!!! I also heard this was the case for the live fish catches on display at the fraser island fishing expo, fish spitting hooks out in the tank. (if anyone can verify/discredit this please do so as I wasn't there!!).

anyway as Luc said, a fish released has more chance of survival than one in the kill bin!! Just cut the line and let it go.

theclick
24-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, I was under the impression that fish actually spit or fester the hooks out after a short period of time (within a week) not the actual hook rusting out. I would have thought the rusting process would take years! I know in the human body any foriegn object (ie splinter or piece of metal) will be rejected by the body through the bodies infection processes. It will eventually puss up and work its way out. I assume this would be the same for fish.
I have heard of a bloke who is growing various species of fish in fresh water tanks who put hooks in the mouths of his fish as an experiment. By the next morning the hooks were lying on the bottom of the tank. I don't know how deep he shoved them in though!!!! I also heard this was the case for the live fish catches on display at the fraser island fishing expo, fish spitting hooks out in the tank. (if anyone can verify/discredit this please do so as I wasn't there!!).

anyway as Luc said, a fish released has more chance of survival than one in the kill bin!! Just cut the line and let it go.

Yes, this is what I have heard too. Went up to a barra farm at the sunny coast, where they let ya do a bit of fishing. Anyway, they had a tank out the front with a few medium sized barra in them. Basically, what the guy said is, he puts the barra in there with hooks in their mouth to show some people that infact fish do spit the hooks out. I think the figure i remembered him asying was 3 days, but I reccon it depends on the fish, and where it is hooked.

Of course, anything too deep with probably stay there, and I would say it would be harmful to the fish, but it happens and nothing can be done about it. Most of the damage will be done trying to remove the thing, so cut the line as far in the mouth as you can and let the poor bugger free.

Fish eat smaller spiky fish all the time, and I'd say they have evolved to be able to spit the barbs off bait fish. It is probably quite a natural feeling.

shaman
24-06-2007, 03:38 PM
you should really use circles. Once you get the hang of them, they land in the corner of the mouth each time...

Thanks for that I've heard about them but have never given them a go so now I will. Is there a specific technique to use with them and do you use the sizes that you normally would?

shaman
24-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I spose I'm from the old school and I would rather make use of a decent fish than let it go just to cark it and be wasted...

Nowhere Bob
25-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Depends on what you think a waste is. The system will use any fish you return.
Also $150 for one under sized fish, really seals it for me.

shaman
27-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't keep anything undersize................. $150 or not.....guthooked or not and I guess you're right about the system using it up I hadn't thought of it like that....