PDA

View Full Version : Is Three A Crowd???

Tailortaker
22-06-2007, 12:47 PM
G'day all, I,ve got a quiny 3.85mt tinnie with a 25hp on the back, generally i go out fishing with one other person or by myself but I always have other poeple wanting to come. I have neither taken me and two others cause I think it would be to cramped while fishin. The boat wont have trouble on the go with th 25hp but would 3 poeple be comfy or on top of each other? What's your veiw? do you take 3?

Cheers

ffejsmada
22-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Mate I've got a 4.1 with a 30 hp Honda.
2's the limit for me most definitely. Personally, I would not even consider 3 as It would cramp my style.
I would rather go solo than take any crew but I do take family members when requested to.
Maybe I'm selfish, but I don't care!;D;D;D;D I like things on my boat done my way.

Cheers.

Tailortaker
22-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Mate I've got a 4.1 with a 30 hp Honda.
2's the limit for me most definitely. Personally, I would not even consider 3 as It would cramp my style.
I would rather go solo than take any crew but I do take family members when requested to.
Maybe I'm selfish, but I don't care!;D;D;D;D I like things on my boat done my way.

Cheers.
is that 2 including you? I'm not keen to take the extra but under pressure:(
Cheers

ffejsmada
22-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes mate, me and 1 extra --------- very occasionally.

90% of the time, solo for me.

sc0pe
22-06-2007, 01:13 PM
i have a 4.3 brooker and its definetly 2 on the boat for me. would do 3 if i really had to but it would definetly get cramped

russ81
22-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Hows it going mate
I have a 5.6m cuddy and i still only like to take one other if i can help it

Russ

timddo
22-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I actually take 3 people out. Me , myself and I

disorderly
22-06-2007, 02:48 PM
I actually take 3 people out. Me , myself and I

This is how I usually fish also.Though occasionally with one other,but never more than one person each side of the boat.(unless i'm just hanging out with the kids)
I travel 50-70 kms each way to the reef and enjoy fishing not untangling fishing lines and having my personal space invaded.(5.25m boat)

Scott

mini696
22-06-2007, 03:00 PM
3.9 Stacer and I fish solo or with my girlfriend, however I will take out another two people if I feel like it. Yes it can be a bit crowded but its usually ok if anchored up. I don't go too far with so many in the boat though.

Tailortaker
22-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Well I think I'll bite the bullet and let the extra come along. We wont go far and anchor up for a fish..I'll give it a once off go.

Cheers

peterreb
22-06-2007, 03:29 PM
5.3 C/C and find it easy with 2 POB, 3 is just manageable

Roughasguts
22-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Hell no 3 is fine for the boat, you and your mate fishing. And his girlfriend getting an all over sun tan on the bow.

But if it's another bloke leave him at the ramp.

Blackened
22-06-2007, 03:57 PM
G'day

I have a 12' tinny, 85% of my trips are solo, and the rest are with 2 or 3 total.

3 is cramped, but still doable, and you can have so much fun

Dave

Peter4
22-06-2007, 04:10 PM
4m Horizon Stalker with 40hp Honda Fourstroke.

Definitely just the two us (son & I). Otherwise space becomes an issue.

Pete

bungie
22-06-2007, 04:15 PM
17ft runabout, prefer solo, two works, three is getting a bit of a pain

bushbeachboy
22-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Once you have done your one trip with three, you will never do it again!!!! It's a damn nuisance.

Getout
22-06-2007, 05:27 PM
6m walkaround. Four max unless I feel like untangling lines

adds31
22-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Head outside with mate that has a 6.1 center cab Bluewater by gardner marine. With three on board it would become a bit how ya goin so to say especially heading out in 15-20 kts for the safety factor. For the fishing factor, we can both fish a bottom rig and a floater each with not much worries.
My mate won't have any more than two on the boat . The 150 honda does make a trip pretty cheap so the need for a third person to share fuel costs isn't needed.

Cheers Adds....

Kleyny
22-06-2007, 07:27 PM
In 4.6 open tinny 60hp. I normally fish 2, anchored it can fish 3 comfortably have been known to fish 4 but its not so comfy.

90% in the pumistone passage.

Had 7 rods out at once funny thing is not once did we get a tangle that was afternoon to night fishing.

neil

Dantren
22-06-2007, 07:32 PM
If I am taking out too many people to fish comfortably, I will motor out and pull up on a nice beach where we can stretch our legs and do some stealth fishing along the bank.

We seem to catch more fish that way also.

Dan.

juju
22-06-2007, 07:41 PM
If you were chasing winter whiting with handlines...3 would be ok.....bring rods into it and things start to get interesting...bait ?....3 flicking Sps would become fun......na 2 i say....

Jabiru658
22-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I have a 3.85 Stacer tinny and 1 person is great, 2 is ok and 3 is cramped. 2 kids and me is still a bit cramped but I can (just) fish 1 rod off each side from the front thwart and 1 off the back ok.

This is the main reason I've been looking around for a larger tinny...

thump-a
22-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Look At Your Compliance Plate It Will Tell You What Weight You Can Carry. I Would Be Surprised If 3 People Onboard Plus Gear & Fuel Would Be Ok
2 Adults And A Child Perhaps

Cheers !

jarnvid
22-06-2007, 08:07 PM
ha maby I am to nice or just stupid but i take 4 people including myself in my 3.5 meter tinny, never had a tangle :)

Black_Rat
22-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Had a 4.2m tinne a several years ago.

I never had a drama for a quick fish with 4 on board. :)

Have to agree with two on board for a long trip is ideal ;)

Keeps swinging distance to a maximum !

PS: nothing worse than having a few blokes swinging rods at all angles in a tinnie ;D

Shane Dyer
22-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Safety comes first,only carry as many people on your boat as you are allowed.
You must then decide on how many deckies you are willing to take.I am a solo fisherman who owns a 4.8mtr centre console,this past time is the most relaxing that i have discovered.I still enjoy the odd deckie(only if experienced)to have yarn and a laugh and a the odd high five if some kilos of joy enter the boat.At the end of the day we who give advice have our preference through experience and maybe you will make up your own mind through your own experiences.

Great White
22-06-2007, 08:32 PM
5 is not a crowd if it's the breaker girls ;D ;D ;D But when it comes to fishing it would be a bit crowded. I think 3 in you boat anchored up would be fine with 1 rod each, but if you are on the drift with SP's 2 would be cosy in you boat IMO :D

Herm
22-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Appartently YES!:'( :-X

Splash
22-06-2007, 10:02 PM
For those who do not take anyone on board - is this a wee bit dangerous to be out there on your own??

And, imagine having a few on board wanting a crap...!

My brother and I were out one time last year and he had to do a crap - well, my fishing rags were no longer and flies suddenly appeared from nowhere and kept us company for the rest of our 5 hour fishing trip.

SOme key learnings there...

SPlash!

Dono
23-06-2007, 06:33 AM
I have a 6.5 mtr Stacer and three is my limit unless my hand is forced at family times, then i drive and bait to let all have a good go.:'(
4 is ok if you have 4 guys who know the move aside rule and dont try to hog a corner.;D

Poodroo
23-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Two people max in my tinny. Would handle three but would start to get awkward I think. I sometimes have myself and the two kids with me.

Poodroo

webby
23-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Depends on weather, where your fishing, currents, how big the esky is and what you plan to catch????
regards

disorderly
23-06-2007, 11:51 AM
For those who do not take anyone on board - is this a wee bit dangerous to be out there on your own??

And, imagine having a few on board wanting a crap...!

My brother and I were out one time last year and he had to do a crap - well, my fishing rags were no longer and flies suddenly appeared from nowhere and kept us company for the rest of our 5 hour fishing trip.

SOme key learnings there...

SPlash!

Splash,

A couple of rolls of dunny paper are a essential item on the boat.
Also its all in the technique.The easiest way to avoid skid marks on the side of my boat(runabout) is to hang your arse over the side of the bow while being supported by the bowrail.
The disadvantage here is generally the cockpit is downwind and if there is someone else on the boat they have to see and smell the new burley trail.
This happened in a real heavy sea one time where my passenger was simultaneously crapping and spewing.I dont usually get seasick(unless very hungover)but on this day a terrible dry retching began...

Scott

Reef_fisher
23-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes three is a crowd, I had three once in my 4.5m centre console(licenced for 5) and will never do it again without taking experienced deckies. Was almost in the water on several occasions, one bloke would just not sit down, going from side to side without warning, eventualy I told him to sit the f$%k down and don't move>:( >:( I was pretty cranky as I had given the breifing before we launched the boat. The other bloke was my brother who should have known better, I flicked him in the ear and told him to pull his weight or he would go over the side, brother has since come good but the neighbour still remains a nightmare to fish with.

Two is just right, but the 18month old is wanting to come as well now, so I had better get the training done soon.;D ;D ;D At least the extra weight won't count for a while yet.;D ;D

Tailortaker
23-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Look At Your Compliance Plate It Will Tell You What Weight You Can Carry. I Would Be Surprised If 3 People Onboard Plus Gear & Fuel Would Be Ok

Cheers !
------------------------

Tailortaker
23-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Cheers !
the plate says 4 people @75kg each, the wait is not the point, its the comfort while fishing.......

Scalem
23-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I've been piggy in the middle and never again. Try cast your line out, either side will cross one of the other guys. I was told next time I cast over the top of one individual, he told me he was going to cut my line!!>:( All in jest and just as well!!;D ;D

Scalem

thump-a
23-06-2007, 01:35 PM
the plate says 4 people @75kg each, the wait is not the point, its the comfort while fishing.......

Sounds like you nead a bigger boat if you want comfort

Tailortaker
23-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Sounds like you nead a bigger boat if you want comfort
I think you missed the initial point, but thanks anyway

Splash
23-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Splash,

A couple of rolls of dunny paper are a essential item on the boat.
Also its all in the technique.The easiest way to avoid skid marks on the side of my boat(runabout) is to hang your arse over the side of the bow while being supported by the bowrail.
The disadvantage here is generally the cockpit is downwind and if there is someone else on the boat they have to see and smell the new burley trail.
This happened in a real heavy sea one time where my passenger was simultaneously crapping and spewing.I dont usually get seasick(unless very hungover)but on this day a terrible dry retching began...

Scott

Good one Scotty!

I had a good laugh - thanks mate. ;D :D ;D ;D

BTW - Did the fish come on the bite after the new burely trail?

What I wanna know is how do flies appear 40 kms out of sea and congregate?

Luc
23-06-2007, 08:07 PM
4 metre pointy punt, usually just me,
occasionally crew of one,
sometimes crew of 2,
once crew of 3 (never again)

Luc

Wahoo
24-06-2007, 11:02 PM
when i had the 4.8m tinny, if i was reef fishing 2 was good .... 3 max, but in the river 4 was ok

Daz