PDA

View Full Version : Rod holder ideas?

Flex
22-06-2007, 09:26 AM
I have a 4.5m open tinny. I have rattled my brain trying to work out how to store/carry rods besides in the rod holders.

I will be fishing with 2 others in my boat in far north QLD shortly. We all have expensive gear(large overheads,spinners etc) And I cant work out how I will store the rods when in transit in the boat.

We each have 3 outfits we take along. and I can only fit 1 rod along the side of the boat as the reels are rather large.

Anyone have any novel ideas on how to safely store rods in a tinny when your pounding along?

juju
22-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Take the reels off...............get a sheet lay the rods on it spaced about 6 ins appart...roll them up in the sheet cut off the leftover sheet...slide them into a length of PVc stormwater pipe....cheap and effective...

juju
22-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Hang on scratch that.....i took it as when towing the boat along rough dirt roads....DOH.........i was on the phone at the time listening to some moron trying to get me to advertise on some website....::)

choppa
22-06-2007, 11:17 AM
after sighting a ""novel"" idea at a local aluminium fabricator,,, i'm having the following made up for the tinny we recently bought,,,

the bimini top is made from aluminium checkerplate,,, fitted to the boat via 4 adjustable and demountable legs,,, the top of the bimini has rails welded at intervals that equal the same distance between the forward and middle seats in the tinny to allow gear to be thrown on top and tied down,,

when not in use,,, the idea of the top is it can be quickly taken off and turned into a camping table,,,,,,leaving an open tinny for flicking rods etc etc

OR,,,, take it off and flip it over and it fits snugly as a false flat floor to use as a casting deck,,,(hence why the rails are spaced the same distance apart as the seats) or to keep gear outta the weather that is stowed underneath

this is a very quick description.,,, other bits n pieces are added to allow extra storage,,,rod holders etc etc,,

the idea came from a recent customer who is having some very serious mods done to a 07 nissan str,,,, the work being carried out is awesome and and will really make his 4x4 trips a hell of lot more comfy,,,he has this in place on his 4.5 mtr tinny already

more can follow as mine is being fabricated now and should be ready soon,,, i'll take a few pics and post em up,,,

choppa

FNQCairns
22-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Look forward to seeing it Choppa, sounds great!

cheers fnq

kingcobe
22-06-2007, 11:45 AM
This is how we keep our rods and other stuff out of the way.

Josh