PDA

View Full Version : Help on Barra

Mudguard 92
21-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey everyone,
This will probably sound like a really stupid question:P but what size line should i use for barra? They arent to big, well not to many big ones being caught (80cm+) I was going to use hardbodys, mainly poppers. Its the Burnett River - freezin here now, so i kinda figured its not the best time - any general tips?

Cheers, James

top ender
21-06-2007, 07:12 PM
mate i would just go 20 pound braid its a good allround poundage as for brand all depends on your tackle baitcast or thread line

Whitto
22-06-2007, 07:08 AM
G,Day James, Im assuming from your post u are starting out, :D but if not Topender is on the money,I personally use at Monduran 50lb Finns with a 60lb Jenkai leader in a twisted format thanks to Jack Erskine, :) At Lenthalls my set up is 30lb Finns with 50lb Jenkai twisted leader, have found both of these setups to very good for my needs, The one piece of advise I will give u is pay attention to detail such as your knots,if u are not happy with what your knot looks like do it again or try another type of knot, there is plenty of links on this web sight to show u how to tie them;) , good luck and happy fishing, keep asking the questions thats how we all learned with a bit of trial and error thrown in, Stalking Barra u can't beat it, Cheers Whitto;D

SheppyG
22-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi james,

Good luck with all the cold up there, i think the old girls could be lying a little deep and placid. But there should be some nice threadfin or blueys around. I have always used 6-8kg mono for barra with 50-60lb jinkai leader. i have rarely had an issue. I have now stepped up to 20lb braid, which i am starting to enjoy, but it does take some time to get used to after many years of mono. Whitto, fishing in the dams using the heavy gear is fine, but i think it is an overkill in the estuarys. My biggest barra is 97cm and i landed her on 6kg mono.

happy Fishing mate!

Mudguard 92
22-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys, yea whitto i am just startin out on barra. Its pretty rubish fishing here...TONS of catfish! There is a few yella and bass though. They started releasing barra into the river a couple of years ago i think. Do bass and yella really go for hardbodys? Im pretty new on lures too, we used to always use bait.

Thanks again for the tips everyone, 8-)
James

Whitto
22-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys, yea whitto i am just startin out on barra. Its pretty rubish fishing here...TONS of catfish! There is a few yella and bass though. They started releasing barra into the river a couple of years ago i think. Do bass and yella really go for hardbodys? Im pretty new on lures too, we used to always use bait.

Thanks again for the tips everyone, 8-)
James
Yes James Bass and Yella's can be caught on Hardbody's, I personally use Sliders in the Baby Bass colours attached to a 1/2 oz Data jig head and of course the magical Jackall's usually in neutral colours. ( I buy my Jackall's X Japan much cheaper than in this country), Good Luck and Good Fishing Whitto

Graeme Osborn
22-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Hey James, welcome. I have been to a sight called Sweetwater Fishing, the links and stories are awesome, very informative for freshwater fishing. Hope that helps. Graeme.

Whitto
22-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey James, welcome. I have been to a sight called Sweetwater Fishing, the links and stories are awesome, very informative for freshwater fishing. Hope that helps. Graeme.
G'Day Graeme, Thats Gary Fitzgerald's Websight,all of us would do well to have a good read, Gary has been around a long time and know's his stuff and is always ready to give advise when questions are put too him, Cheers Whitto;)

Mudguard 92
22-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Ok thanks Graeme and Whitto. Whitto - jackall is the brand isnt it? I see some here, there $25 each.

Whitto
22-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Ok thanks Graeme and Whitto. Whitto - jackall is the brand isnt it? I see some here, there $25 each.
G'Day James, Mate u can buy a Jackall vibration TN60 for $14.17 + $5.00 postage X-Japan landed in your Post Box in 4/5 Days, much cheaper than whay u can buy anywhere in this country, If u have a credit card and want to have a crack at overeas buying I will let u know what the name of the company I deal with is, Cheers Whitto

Mudguard 92
23-06-2007, 08:50 AM
G'Day James, Mate u can buy a Jackall vibration TN60 for $14.17 + $5.00 postage X-Japan landed in your Post Box in 4/5 Days, much cheaper than whay u can buy anywhere in this country, If u have a credit card and want to have a crack at overeas buying I will let u know what the name of the company I deal with is, Cheers Whitto
Nah i dont have a credit card, im only 15 :P any other methods of payment?

Whitto
23-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Nah i dont have a credit card, im only 15 :P any other methods of payment?
No worries James, This is all done through E-Bay if u Google it up E-Bay has all the questions and answers, Good luck Mate , Cheers Whitto

Mudguard 92
23-06-2007, 05:13 PM
No worries James, This is all done through E-Bay if u Google it up E-Bay has all the questions and answers, Good luck Mate , Cheers Whitto
ok, thanks alot ;)

Jason John Skerritt
26-07-2007, 06:27 AM
Hi james i do a lot of buying off ebay for fishing gear you can get some really good bargins off there;But if your not formilar with ebay you can pay too much for items;all sayin is be carefu&.tight lines.

bishop
31-07-2007, 02:54 PM
James,

Get hold of Fishing Queensland Annual Volume 9. It has 3 great articles on Barra, which specifically address your question.