PDA

View Full Version : Boat Weights

timddo
21-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Does boat weights make a different.

Did some research before i ordered my new boat.

Canyon runner 6.1 Meters is 620kg
Cruiser Cab 5.6 Meters is 630kg.
Tabs ocean series 5.45meters 740kg
Formosa super cabin 5.5 meters 620kg.
Formosa bow rider 5.5 meters 520kg
Stacer cabin 5.49Meters 649kg.
(these are dry weights)
Now stacer is pressed and the others are plate.

Now stacer comes in heavier than makocraft and formosa ????
So whats this thingy about plates are heavier than pressed theory???.

I brought the tabs ( not for weight, but i have always like them, from reading a magazine in 2006). Gto another 4 weeks to go. It would be another 50kg heavier due to options i have taken.

peterreb
21-06-2007, 03:52 PM
I have a TABS 5.35 Terriotory Pro Centre Consol, from memory the hull weight was nearly 800kg. With a 140 hp 4s on the back plus 150 L of fuel and gear ready for fishing, over the weigh bridge it went 1470kg, minus 350kg for the trailer , the boat on the water was 1120kg.

Cheers Peter

sik008
21-06-2007, 04:02 PM
boat weight is essential if u r goin out wide but if ur in creeks it doesnt really matter. the heaviar the boat is the betta ride it will be... Take into account the deadrise of the boat... Plus u still hav to add to the dry weight of the boat the:
fuel, fishing gear, weight of passenger, ect.
hope u enjoy ur new boat!!
cheers alex

Coontakinta
21-06-2007, 05:27 PM
[quote=timddo;639204]Now stacer is pressed and the others are plate.

Now stacer comes in heavier than makocraft and formosa ????

So whats this thingy about plates are heavier than pressed theory???.

[quote]

what extra fittings are on the stacer that arent on the others? Floatation, paint, a cabin, upholstery etc etc. All these add weight to the finished product

seatime
21-06-2007, 06:49 PM
is that Stacer pressed? it has 4mm sides that look like flat sheets. You'll get lots of extras in their "ready to go" packages that add to overall weight, not like a custom fitout that may be had with other manufacturers, where you choose what's added. Some are aimed at budget buyers, and others for the more discerning. You get what you pay for.
A heavier hull will give a better ride, design and hull shape are also contributing factors. Sounds like you've made a wise choice with the TABS.

cheers
Steve

builder
21-06-2007, 07:00 PM
have you actually weighed the boat or are you going off the brochure and web site,on paper anything sounds good, just remember the clause.....
ANY SPESIFICATIONS MAY CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
cheers

Shane Dyer
21-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Gday all, the aluminium weight debate goes on.I would like to put another spin on this topic. I have recently upgraded my 1974 Haines Hunter V16c half cabin (That would weigh approx. 800kg hull weight only,with a 1974 85hp Evinrude @ 160kg approx.)This was a great sea boat.As we do i decided to update and after owning a few glass boats,i contemplated an ally boat,even after years of other boaties saying,they bang,they slap there tinnie.I ignored the critics and decided if an ally boat was for me it was to be plate.So i did purchase a new 4.8mtr (16ft) ABBS plate boat which weighs 460kg hull weight only approx. with a 75hp Merc.2stroke (136kg).............This combination rides as good or better than the heavier old glass boat combination. You must do your homework,length to weight ratio and other factors such as height ally thickness are crucial.

Mindi
18-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Dont confuse "flat" with "plate". Plate boats are made from a hard alloy (usually 5083..which is 95% Al & 5% Magnesium plus traces of others) which cant be pressed or folded..only cut and welded. If it has any folds or creases, or if it has internal topside ribs, it is probably made from marine aluminium sheet...it is a sheet boat not a plate boat. Having said that some true plate topsides do have ribs (TABS..?) Sheet is workable, cheap, takes folds and bends but has insufficient strength to make an unsupported flat topside.
Most current mass produced tinnies are made from sheet and are trying to look like plate by a either a discrete fold high and low on the topside..and/or internal ribs. If you want to see what plate looks like take a look at a Joshua or a Profish or Fisher or OMM or others of that ilk.