PDA

View Full Version : Archaeologist closing in on mystery shipwreck

fishingjew
21-06-2007, 12:22 PM
BRISBANE, Australia (20 June 2007) -- The mystery of a galleon believed to be buried in a North Stradbroke Island swamp could be solved within months.
For a century, rumours have circulated that the remains of a 16th or 17th-century Spanish or Portuguese vessel lie in the snake-infested 18 Mile Swamp at the southern end of the Moreton Bay island.
Tales persist of Aborigines finding gold coins and amateur explorers stripping the ship of its anchor, fastenings and planks.
Brisbane archeologist Greg Jefferys has been searching for the wreck for nearly 20 years and is confident he is closing in.
Last week he found three metal artefacts - a brass button, a sword blade and a fishing weight - that point towards the presence of other mariners on the Australian east coast well before Captain Cook made his voyage of discovery in 1770.
Boosted by his latest findings, Mr Jefferys has accepted an offer from geophysics company UltraMag to do a free spectral analysis of the swamp.
The scan, which normally would cost about $20,000, should detect the presence of any metals in the swap's vegetation.
"I really think there is a strong possibility of uncovering where it is. I think I will find it this year," Mr Jefferys said.
He hopes the ship was carrying treasure.
"I've spoken to quite a few people over the years who have told me they've seen gold Spanish coins circulating in the Stradbroke Island community," he said.
Aborigines "knew of shipwreck"
"One guy, Frank Boyce, who lived there in the 1920s and '30s, was taken to the wreck by Aborigines after he saved the life of an Aboriginal woman who was drowning.
"He said they told him they had been taking the gold over the years to pay for things in town."
Mr Jefferys said the artefacts he found recently also were strong indicators of a Spanish presence on Stradbroke Island.
He said the rapier blade was of an unusual style, popular in 16th-century Spain.
"The construction of the brass button also puts it within 100 years of that period," he said.
"The lead weight I think was made by the wreck's survivors for fishing nets because it's very crude."

http://www.cdnn.info/news/science/australia_moreton_island_250188.jpgThe southern tip of Moreton Island and the narrow gap of sea north of North Stradbroke Island.

Mr Jefferys said he found the artefacts about 900m inland, suggesting the ship had gone aground hundreds of years ago and the island's sand had built up around it.
Experts deny wreck presence
Queensland Museum maritime heritage senior curator Peter Gesner said the theory that the first European explorers of Australia were Spanish or Portuguese was "all cloak and daggers".
"If they did, they never came back," he said.
"But it's very unlikely as this was not their stomping ground.
"It's quite possible something was seen but the big question is why does it have to be Spanish or Portuguese or pre-date Cook?
"Every time someone comes up with what they think is evidence we can confidently prove it's not Spanish or Portuguese.
"I'm sure (Jefferys) has found something; it's the interpretation that is wishful thinking."
Redland Shire councillor Craig Ogilvie welcomed the possibility of the wreck's discovery.
"If someone can finally put the rumours to bed, that is a good thing," he said.
But he warned weekend treasure hunters to stay away from the island.
"We don't need amateur archeologists traipsing through the swamp - leave it to the professionals," he said.

Yes this ones been going for some time can remember stories of it when i was a boy living there.

seatime
21-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Even heard stories of that galleon rising out of the swamp, then disappearing again. Why that pic? is it to keep the treasure hunters well away from 18m swamp, or maybe there's another galleon in the Rous Channel?

barkers creek
22-06-2007, 08:39 AM
it sounds a little like a wreck off gladstone.
it was in the papers and on the new they have found a extreamly old wreck in the capricorn bunker group and the only people that new were the 2 men that found it and the 2 eldly men working at gladstone maritime museum..
it waas a bit ironic that we had a school trip there next week i approached one of the men and asked if he could tell me were it was (silly question) an obvous answer no! i then asked wat island it is near he then said "i cant tell u anythingh about the wreck at or sory sir including how old,wat island it is on or when there going.."

anyone notice that he slipped up and said island its ON i then narrowed it down to 4 islands because there the only 4 that random men can just go on most are no accesibal or pink zone.
both ships mite be related ;) ;D

nath

Chris Ryan
22-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Nath the super sluth - go get em tiger! :D

edleigh7
23-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Very interesting story Fishingjew...i hope old mate finds it. It will prove once and for all that Captain Cook wasn't the first non-aboriginal person to discover Australia.

Nath...i hope you fing that wreck on that island...keep us all posted!!;)

Ed:)

shaman
23-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I hope the divers watch out for the Plegiosaurus down there !!!!

hondaguy
24-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Interesting to see how much that photo of between the two islands as the main channel is much further north currently. Over two hundred years ago the channels or inlet may well have been located in the swamp. Please keep us updated

shaman
24-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Interesting to see how much that photo of between the two islands as the main channel is much further north currently. Over two hundred years ago the channels or inlet may well have been located in the swamp. Please keep us updated

Good point matey!
He could've been the first to plough the sand in that area!!
His ghost probably has a chuckle every time one of us polishes a prop on the bar. I thought that I was unusually freaked sometimes while crossing........

DR
24-06-2007, 04:01 PM
maybe i am just being cynical, but do you really think that, if it really exists & if the locals new about it in the 20s that there would be anything of value left...::) i just cannot imagine anyone just taking what gold they needed to buy stuff in town. it would, at least have been taken & hidden elsewhere.

betsy
24-06-2007, 04:21 PM
this story has become very interesting for me as a young fellow growing up on Lamb island {southern moreton bay}my mate and i would throw a couple off trial bikes and boogie boards in a boat and cruise to staddie from there where could strap around for hours thru the sand hills and swamps with no hassles wed usualy motor over 2 big sand hills to where wed hit prime surf on the east coast of straddie, anyway cut a long story short we found an unusaul old hessian type looking bag with some very old broken china wear it was in the vacinty of this so called wreck i could be a millionairre

Dory4.1
24-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Isn't there also meant to be a wreck in the sand up on the North Shore (other than the Cherry Venture)?

Rgs
Michael

Marlin_Mike
24-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I reckon its a con like The Secret, and the Y2K bug ;) :P

Chris Ryan
24-06-2007, 07:54 PM
The Y2K bug wasn't real??? Man I made some good money from that - ah the heady days in the IT Industry........there gone now; I blame the green zones around the customers. :p :p :)

Marlin_Mike
24-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Y2K was the biggest con in the history of the industrial/technological revolution.....planes falling out of the skies..............LOL....good luck to those who made money

Mike

Chris Ryan
24-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Well the guys that owned the companies made the money. Those of us that worked for them really didn't get much more than our normal commissions. It was just more people buying like at the supermarket on a friday of a long weekend. Food will be there on Saturday but they all rush in to buy stuff.

As the truth to it - didn't really know. Microsoft said it would happen and the own the industry really so I guess we all followed. Didn't see many planes falling either.

Chris Ryan
24-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I just re-read my drivel above. Talk about getting off a topic........sorry all.

Nowhere Bob
25-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Interesting that Ausfishers as a group seem to be pretty open minded to this kind of thing. [A good thing!]
I've also heard that the wreck is that of a Chinese vessel from 15th or 14th Century.

Hondaguy your bang on about shifting currents and banks - I wish I had a timelapse of the lagoon at DI forming over just the last 12 months. MSQ doesn't get out at night and move the Navigation Aids up onto sandbanks for a laugh. Although it would be funny.

I have no information so I'll reserve my judgement, but I think it didn't help that it was bung in with the Gympie Pyramid & Yowie in the "Ooga Booga" category.

For how many years was "Cook was the 1st whitey here" taught as historical fact, then someone dug up the Dutch ship in WA. So now the history of Australia has changed.
This is what makes history & science different to religious doctrine.
Hows that for off topic?

Ozwald
26-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Nowhere Bob
I think the wreck of the giant Chinese junk is on Fraser? I read Gavin Mackenzies '1421 the year China discovered the world' and it was an interesting read although a lot of mainstream historians arent giving it much credit.
Oz

mbt
27-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Cook wasnt the first white man to come here , Austraia used to be called new holland and a couple of other things before the poms got here...http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/australianhistory/

as a kid in the 60s I spent many a day looking for treasure on straddie after hereing the rumors of that ship, I worked out that i could get a new Alvey and maybe a wilson rod if I found one or to of those gold coins.::)