PDA

View Full Version : Should I Drop Horsepower

russ81
21-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Hows it going guys
I want to re power my 5.6m Trailcraft sports cab
Firstly the weight issue doesn't come into the equation as they all fall under the max weight however the dilemma I'm having is what HP I currently have a 140 hp Merc 2 st which is the max rated Hp for the vessel.
The vessel is rated from 90-140 with recommended being 115 .
The motors im considering are the 140 4st suzi , the 135 merc opti and the 115 etec
My question is how much performance will i lose by having the 115 as opposed to the 140. I have heard good things about all these motors so i was wanting to hear from people who have first hand experience

Cheers
Russ

marco
21-06-2007, 03:02 AM
when i repowered a 5.4 mtr signature from a 135 carbed mercury to a 140 4stk suzuki i really noticed the lack of grunt down low on the suzuki compared to the merc , but it shined in every other way . ive got a 175 etec now and that is a good engine as well .
considering you have a plate boat i would think the suzuki would be a good match compared to the glass boat i had .
i hope that helps

revs57
21-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey Russ,

There is no substitute for neddies! I've just upped from 150 2 st to 200 4 st. Man what a difference heaps of grunt with better fuel economy...for me, I'd go the max with the 140 'zuke. It should do nicely IMO.

Cheers

Rhys

juju
21-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Thing is if your used to the extra power, and you drop back...you will likely end running the other one at the max....and probley end up chewing through as much fuel......

FNQCairns
21-06-2007, 02:35 PM
IMO the closest for like for like will be the opti that's a 6cyl huh! your 140 what year and block is it? I forget all the merc stuff. If it is an old carb engine neither of the 2 will go within cooee of the same performance.

The other 2 together will be fairly close in performance on your boat although I suspect this year the 140 zuk had a ratio change to slow their top speed down in an attempt to widen the gap between the zuk 150hp offering now it is released as people would/could choose the 140 when zuk would have rather them spending the extra and going to the 150. Cannot have 2 lines within the same brand competing against each other (as well as other brands) for the one same spot on a transom.

So the Zuk 140 is no longer the 140 that made the reputation in the first place, just something to keep in mind.

Personally I would go the zuk but would in no way expect anywhere near the performance you are used to ATM but enough to be fine and dandy on a fishing boat, except on those glassed out days anyway.

cheers fnq

russ81
21-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Hows it going mate
It is an 02 carby model
I have decided to bite the bullet and go with the 115 etec as the dealer had given it to me at cost with 500 bucks thrown in to spent on chandlery

FNQCairns
21-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a deal! is the block used in those also used in the 90 or the size above 115? regardless certainly the second best performing of your choices and if it is the 90 block then very good economy also. The opti I think is the same block as the 175 so it would pull like a freight train but would be thirsty in relative terms.

Enjoy.

cheers fnq

Wahoo
21-06-2007, 02:52 PM
congrats Russ, it will serve you well
now you can jump on the bandwagon on that other thread,, LOL

Daz

disorderly
21-06-2007, 03:17 PM
congrats Russ, it will serve you well
now you can jump on the bandwagon on that other thread,, LOL

Daz

See what happens the instant you buy an E-Tec,Russ.
Its like you are walking around with a bullseye on your foreheadhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

FNQ,

My 90 is an inline 3(trumped up 75 basically).
The 115 is a v4,so it should get along OK.

Scott

Wahoo
21-06-2007, 03:32 PM
See what happens the instant you buy an E-Tec,Russ.
Its like you are walking around with a bullseye on your foreheadhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Scott

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/new_rofl.gif

russ81
21-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Hows it going guys
In my line of work I have always got a bullseye on my forehead.

Russ

juju
21-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Your one of us now........get ready for the grilling at the boat ramp...;)