PDA

View Full Version : Bait Boards? what works.

gleeeza
20-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I am just about to fabricate and build a bait board for a plate alloy boat and I am interested in hearing from anyone who has found out the do's and don'ts from experience!!!!

My experience was to install 2 vertical rod holders mid ship on each side, and fabricated a basic timber board screwed to an alloy pipe with the appropriate slots. Due to the tenderness of my hull on an ordinary day in the slop this is not working for me so I am looking at setting it up over the half portafino transom. Height, width, length, drawer or not , drain???? Plenty of gimmicks out there from what I have seen but at the end of the day what do I really need??

Cheers Glenn

Noelm
20-06-2007, 09:53 AM
pretty simple concept a bait board, only needs to be big enough to hold the type of bait you use, material that does not wreck a knife, does not stink and has a drain that does not drain onto your motor or boat, never been a fan of those "waiste high" things that sit right in the middle of the transom and have rodholders and stuff every where, but some love them, just not me.

Reef_fisher
20-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Made mine out of timber, painted it with leftover water proof membrane from bathroom reno, got the alloy posts and seats(can be easily removed for cleaning and engine maintenance) done by alloy welder. Have two rod holders clamped to legs for floater rods. Hasn't let me down. Very cheap. can make it any size you want and if timber goes bad, replace it or get a plastic one.

juju
20-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I picked up one of those glow in the dark boards that you see at b c f ...long story but i paid almost nothing for it....was going to be a temp thing......but its still there i have a drain hose so i can wash it down with my deckwash hose.....im not really excited about the legs of it....but i think any mods i make will replace them and keep the board itself....it has a good lip so nothing drains back into the boat..and just works for me...