PDA

View Full Version : mango sap

thump-a
19-06-2007, 05:14 PM
whats the best way to remove mango sap from painted aluminium ?
I can scrap it off but it leaves a sticky residue ; iam also wondering if fish can smell this resudue and go off the bite

saurian
19-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi thumper , not sure of sap if you have heaps of it .
I won't perk my boat under them , as craps from bats are acidic anyway.
I'd try to soak them then see if hot soapy water works.
Suppose it depends how long it's been on there, more soaking I guess.
Ta

thump-a
19-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi Saurian ; Ive got the boat covered now! just got to remove this sticky residue ; Soapy water seems to spread it more "cheers"

saurian
19-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Sorry thumpa that I can't be a help...
I've only ever had it on my face and clothes ..
Ta

stevos
19-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Perhaps eucalyptus oil will do the trick? It works well for removing the tackyness left after taking stickers off.

Cheers,

Steve

Blackened
20-06-2007, 06:06 AM
G'day

If it's a bit sticky... try some acetone.

Dave

jez and suze
20-06-2007, 06:24 AM
your lucky you havent parked under a banana tree.....then i would be worried!
mango sap is a shocker...i used to do the mango seasons up north and there was always pommys with huge burn scabs all over them....cant be good on paint work.

SWANY22
20-06-2007, 10:13 AM
bit of turps or wax and grease remover will do the trick.

Noelm
20-06-2007, 10:25 AM
thinking Acetone may be a tad on the severe side, but I am sure it will take it off and even maybe the paint!

Roughasguts
20-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Try a cheap can of engine degreaser, then hose off.
If that don't work try some orange hand cleaner and a bit of a scrub, then wash off.

krazyfisher
20-06-2007, 11:18 AM
bug and tar remover will do the job

sea raider
20-06-2007, 11:36 AM
This might sound dumb, but is it on the inside or outside??

Reef_fisher
20-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Metho, works on bandaid residue. Just don't drink to much. lol

Blackened
20-06-2007, 04:28 PM
G'day

Noel, i've had no worries with acetone on any boat i've worked on, be it gelcoat, 2pac or powdercoat.

Dave

thump-a
21-06-2007, 03:21 PM
This might sound dumb, but is it on the inside or outside??

Its mostly on the gunnels ; bait board & canopy

sea raider
21-06-2007, 03:40 PM
What's the canopy made of?

lippa
21-06-2007, 09:16 PM
its not actual bat shit is it? ie. the bats have been eating the mangos, and poopin on ya boat, it will eat through 2-pac paint in no time. best method is to get whilst wet. if it is dry, it has started to eat into paint work, try soaking the area with any of the above metioned, just soak a rag and leave it there for as long as possible, this will help soften it. i've had to repair cars, where it was so bad i had to use a razor blade and scrape it off, being carful not to go through the clear coat, then do a full cut and polish. best of luck!!

cheers

lippa

Noelm
22-06-2007, 11:34 AM
hey "blackened" the only experiences I have had with Acetone have been bad ones (except for when it was used for its correct purpose) spilled some on some Lino tiles once, disolved them in a jiffy, had some slopped on some car duco, took it off in a minute or so, and tried to get some crap offa painted surface but rubbed a bit too hard, cleaned it right back to bare metal, BUT used spareingly it WILL certainly take off ald gum and crap, but be careful.

lippa
22-06-2007, 05:06 PM
acetone would rip paint off real quick, if it was acrylic lacquer or a cheap enamel.
its sort of ok to use on 2 pack. a gp thinner would be better, at least the acetone is blended with toluene, n-butyl acetae ect, which makes it a bit milder, but still, keep it away from the lino!!!!!! always wise to do a test in an incospicuos(spell?) area.

cheers

lippa

thump-a
22-06-2007, 08:10 PM
What's the canopy made of?

Its white vinyl ; its mainly the paintwork & baitboard im concerned about

thump-a
22-06-2007, 08:12 PM
its not actual bat shit is it? ie. the bats have been eating the mangos, and poopin on ya boat, it will eat through 2-pac paint in no time. best method is to get whilst wet. if it is dry, it has started to eat into paint work, try soaking the area with any of the above metioned, just soak a rag and leave it there for as long as possible, this will help soften it. i've had to repair cars, where it was so bad i had to use a razor blade and scrape it off, being carful not to go through the clear coat, then do a full cut and polish. best of luck!!

cheers

lippa

No its sap ! goey & thick

Lovey80
22-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Go the Metho easy to get cheap and works on near anything.

Cheers Chris