PDA

View Full Version : Severe Weather Warning for SEQ

disorderly
19-06-2007, 11:04 AM
A severe weather warning has just been issued by BOM for coastal areas south of brisbane.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/shocked.gif
Winds of up to 90km/h are expected tonight as a low intensifies off the NSW coast.
Might pay for you southern types to keep an eye on any developments that may occur over the next 24 hrs.
Hope it doesnt get too nasty.

cheers Scott

Noelm
19-06-2007, 11:26 AM
even worse predictions for the Illawarra region.

PinHead
19-06-2007, 05:00 PM
can someone check on my boat for me please.

juju
19-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I was going out on thursday mroning.....booked some jobs now....looks like no fishing agin for me this week.:'( :'( :'(

snelly1971
19-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Without getting you`s guys offside....I love how the they put out a severe weather warning up there with 90km hour winds....we had 150 km winds here a month or so ago...no mention of it ...I think Blaze could vouch for that as well up his way....What i think it all comes down to is that down here it happens quite often so nothing is made or mentioned about it...

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
19-06-2007, 05:49 PM
PS...I also hope no one is hurt or injured....

Mick

blaze
19-06-2007, 06:01 PM
dont know Mick, wont call em soft but ya gotta wonder. In realaity what I think it is, is our wind just blows at that strenth and just keeps blowin and up there they turn to cyclones etc because of the warm air currents etc. Has the harbour froze over yet Mick, Still got ice on roofs at 11.00am lately.
cheers
blaze

snelly1971
19-06-2007, 06:38 PM
No it has not frozen over yet but gee it is bloody cold...the wind just cuts you in half...went fishing last friday....I had to tip a heap of hot water over the outboard to un freeze the tell tale...

Cheers Mick

disorderly
19-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I heard houses and land are pretty cheap down your way Blaze and snelly.
For the life of me I cant imagine why!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif
or maybe its because only polar bears feel at home with 150km/h winds, snow and iced up harbours,roofs and car radiators..http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/lipsrsealed.gif
Up here the pioneer way of life lost appeal at the end of the 19th century.
"Soft", you bet,but why freeze you"re arse off when you can have 20 degree+ winters.

Cheers Scott

Ps I saw snow once in the Andes in Ecuador.Made the bus driver stop so I could get out and touch it.The novelty wore off inside about 10 seconds.Jumped back on the bus and couldn't get to the coast quick enough.
Frostbite is highly overrated IMHO.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

blaze
19-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I heard houses and land are pretty cheap down your way Blaze and snelly.
For the life of me I cant imagine why!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif
or maybe its because only polar bears feel at home with 150km/h winds, snow and iced up harbours,roofs and car radiators..http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/lipsrsealed.gif
Up here the pioneer way of life lost appeal at the end of the 19th century.
"Soft", you bet,but why freeze you"re arse off when you can have 20 degree+ winters.

Cheers Scott

Ps I saw snow once in the Andes in Ecuador.Made the bus driver stop so I could get out and touch it.The novelty wore off inside about 10 seconds.Jumped back on the bus and couldn't get to the coast quick enough.
Frostbite is highly overrated IMHO.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Hi Scott
Both Snelly and I are talking about on the coast, house value- mine has gone up 150% in the last 5 years because we cant keep the mainlanders away from our pristine un interupted coasts.
Current temp- office 23.5
outside 6 and dropping
Back to severe weather warnings

disorderly
19-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi Scott
Both Snelly and I are talking about on the coast, house value- mine has gone up 150% in the last 5 years because we cant keep the mainlanders away from our pristine un interupted coasts.
Current temp- office 23.5
outside 6 and dropping
Back to severe weather warnings

Hey blaze,

I was only half joking. I really hate the cold but would love to get down to tassie one day (during the summer)and check the place out and maybe catch a few trout inland.
As you know, though, gale force winds at the same time as high tides and rain can cause havoc up here,pretty bad beach erosion and even coastal flooding.We saw this recently in the newcastle region.All jokes aside it can cause major problems and deaths.
I just hope this low peters out and causes a minimum of problems for SEQ and NSW.

Cheers Scott

blaze
19-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi Scott
Still sorta wondering- Snelly's comments about why is a warning giving at one location and with simular wind speed we dont get the same warning (we still get warnings though), is it because they can turn to cyclones?
Stay safe guys if she kicks her heals
cheers
blaze

saurian
19-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I reckon bom doesn't warn tassie mob of strong winds because
1~ thay are so numn from the cold that if they where to get hurt they wouldt't feel it.
2~ Most tasmanians are like polar bears.
3~ If it got above 35 degree's celcious with 90% humidity they would be unconscious , so why warn them .......
Better you guys than me , I hate the cold....
Ta

disorderly
19-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Scott
Still sorta wondering- Snelly's comments about why is a warning giving at one location and with simular wind speed we dont get the same warning (we still get warnings though), is it because they can turn to cyclones?
Stay safe guys if she kicks her heals
cheers
blaze

Dunno Blaze,

Maybe your coastline is more able to handle the big seas that you commonly get .
And maybe you guys are just more used to such adverse weather conditions.
Maybe we are "soft" up this way.
One of the main problems with the recent Newcastle disaster was the associated widespread rainfall which caused flooding of lowlying areas along the catchment areas.
Further north (inside the GBR) we have no dunes to hold back the seas and in my little community even a large king tide means water over some of the beachfront roads and only a few feet from causing damage to beachfront homes.(but they have great beach and ocean views).

Scott

blaze
19-06-2007, 09:17 PM
wonder wether that most/a lot of our coastline is natural rocky structure with smaller beaches in between (we also have some very long beachs but mostly not inhabited), a lot of the coast in queensland seems to have man made structures very close to the water (not that I've seen a lot). All very interesting though
cheers
blaze

Obi _ Wan
19-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey Blaze that Barra must be getting bloody heavy by now mate?
Blaze & Mick all jokes aside, those intense low systems you people get down there would be called cyclones if they were in the Tropics, something to do with temperature. I have noticed that some are a lot more intense than some of the cyclones that have formed up north.
From my history lessons at school many years ago i believe that the westerlies are called the Roaring Forties, the sailing ships from the old country used to come down around Africa and ride them across to Australia. The Forties bit is i think that the wind blew at forty knots?
And for all the people that have not been to Tassiei highly recommend it, some of the most beautifull country you will ever see and the trout fishing is magnificient. I spent a couple of weeks down there about 6 years ago and yes it can be hot also. When we were in Hobart it was 36 degrees C, no aircon and whats a fan, hell it was hot.
Cheers,
Obi_Wan

snelly1971
19-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi Obi an...you was close but is was to do with our 40 deg positioning......but yep...it quite often blows 40 knots and alot more than that....

It would be interesting to find out how much it really has to blow here before they call it a Severe weather storm.

And as for heat...When it is hot here it is bloody hot...different kind of heat they reckon than up your way....Travel 1/2 hour from here and go to Queenstown...they are in a gully....no many bloody trees and when it reaches 35 deg with not a breath of wind ...then that is bloody hot...

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
19-06-2007, 10:54 PM
PS...I would rather the cold.....no shortage of rainfall and it is much easier to get warm than to try and cool down....

Mick