PDA

View Full Version : best motor for a nautiglas v150

countbaysea
18-06-2007, 10:17 PM
hi all

I am looking at re-powering my nautiglas( 15ft fibreglass). It has a new transome and floor, so i am interested at new or late 2nd hand?. i have a mid 80s 70hp johno which goes great but the steering shaft is gummed up and hard to steer. so my delema is 70hp or bigger, 2 or 4 stroke. (It is rated to an old 85hp)
I mainly bay fish and over to moreton and off shore bribie occasionaly.
I would like to fish some shallow offshore stuff up an down the coast so trolling may be in the mix. is a 60 four stroke going to be underpowered or is a 70-75 four going to be too heavy???? oh yeah and is economical.

any help appreciated
shane

oldie
18-06-2007, 10:40 PM
theres a guy up the road from me who re did the transom on his same boat, then put a pod on and now has it powered by 05 90hp Yamaha and goes great for offshore tweed coast, he takes it through the surf easy as,bit of a gun fisho but!
id suggest around the 75hp for a 4stroke great for trolling and also have plenty of power! maybe try find out approx weight of the old 85hp and go off that, i have 5.1m easyrider with 90V4 Evinrude 84mod have been told this motor would weigh over 110kg, very similar donk to 85hp johno, 804stroke would be even better but comes down to kg, the 60 4stroke would do the job at sea etc but you'd get sick of every one over taking you one the way to fishing grounds!!!
hope that helps
oldie

Adivad
19-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Mate I had a v150 a year or so ago and had a 75 Honda on the back which pushed it along beautifully but was really heavy and made the bum sit right down which was a worry in choppy seas. If it was me I'd go maybe a 70 2 stroke to keep the back a bit higher. Always liked the boat.

countbaysea
19-06-2007, 06:47 PM
thanks guys
i had a feeling the 75 might be a bit big.
pitty the yamahas dont come in 75-85 any more.
thinking a yammy or tohatsu 70 2 stroke?
ta
shane

BM
19-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Shane,

Whilst its not being widely made public there are a great many people who are mistakenly repowering older boats with modern 4 strokes or DI 2 strokes and are experiencing weight issues.

The older boats were not designed to cope with the monstrous weight of the modern outboards and as such the new outboards are often too heavy for the hull they go on.

So choose wisely.

Cheers