PDA

View Full Version : Fishing mags, about 10 foot

blaze
18-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I hear you now, what 10 foot, well I reckon if I stacked them all up they would come to at least 10 foot high collected over about 35 years (just wish I had kept them for the first 15 years).
Well being about zero degrees tonight I spent some time out in the shed burning rubbish in my wood heater (not cause it was cold though) and started flicking through a few of the older mags. Things really dont change much really, gear a bit update, electronics more afordable but the basics are still the same.
Any one else a tragic like me
cheers
blaze

skippa
18-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Yep,

me too Blaze, got a stack of em, trailerboat fishermen, modern fishing, BnB and others too. Prolly not 10 ft, more like 5 ft I guess I'm shorter than you ;D

I've got plenty of Tracks (ahh thats surfing mags) dating back to the 70's along with Motocross and some Play B ... err better leave it there eh ::)

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

saurian
18-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Blaze, same infliction , plastic tubs ( 70lt) full of them. Lots of them have even been right round the topend.
Cracks me up skippa , I threw a suitcase of tracks out about 3 yrs ago.
Took me hours to put them in the bin , as i had to look through them again.
To cold for me blaze..!!!!
Ta

skippa
18-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Cracks me up skippa , I threw a suitcase of tracks out about 3 yrs ago.
Took me hours to put them in the bin , as i had to look through them again

yep,

mine now in the garage. had a cleanup recently which took hours too after a few re reads, ya gotta love Captain Good vibes ;D

Noelm
19-06-2007, 09:05 AM
thats why most of the NEW craze fishing techniques (like say, plastics) are NOT new at all, just a new twist on the same thing, and some better "looking" lures and stuff because manufacturing and materials are better now, there was a lot of good fish caught on plain old 4200 tinned Mustad hooks, long before you just HAD to have chemically sharpened Owner or Gamakatsu hooks to be able to catch anything at all, those old types of hooks could never work now!! (but I bet they do)

Chimo
20-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi Blaze,

Don't know how hight the stack is, just keep taking over extra cupboards!

I'm with you tho.

Cheers
Chimo

Cold isn't it, not used to less that 20c on the Gold Coast.
Was easier to take when I was acclimatised and living and working in Tas; but I did what my students said they were going to do when they left school..................................got a job in Australia!

Horse
20-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I have a few. The best are the old Australian Angler or the first editions of Fishing World. The current crop of glossies are a poor imitation of the old stuff with Mc Crystal. Calcutt, Harrison etc covering NEW areas and techniques

dogsbody
20-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I got a shite load of BnB's and QFM's. I keep them for the info, i can go and get a bunch of a particular month and take a look for a area to fish and what to expect there. Or a technique that i haven't tried yet.

I remember one of the mags ran a comp (show us your stack) i think it was QFM and people sent in photos of themselves with their stack.
There was one chap who had hung them all over his boat and took the pic.

I can see a thread coming soon "Show us ya stack"

Dave.

Timbothecat
21-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Just started fishing very recently and have around 8 mags, 13 DVD's and about 6 books. Whilst I managed to get "hooked on fishing" in September last year I have been reading and watching stuff on it for about 3 months so I reckon I'm Doing all right so far.

Oh yeah... it's my birthday today so I might add a subscription to Modern Fishing to that collection.

Da-Jew-Man
21-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Hey Guys,
The Jewman collects the old magazines from thr 40's50's and 60's, so if anyone wants to cleanout then please send me a PM.
If anyone has read the monthly reports from Outdoors and Fishing about fish caught , time, bait and tackle, they will learn a lot.
I agree with others, articles written were infromative and not stories.
What about some of the names of writers, FULL CREEL, BUSHIE, etc and some that would not be proper today.
Rgds Dave

cajunnsw
21-06-2007, 02:27 PM
The current crop of glossies are a poor imitation of the old stuff with Mc Crystal. Calcutt, Harrison etc covering NEW areas and techniques

No arguments from me Horse 8-)

Jackinthebox
28-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah Blaze,

you win. I'm gonna stop now before the stack falls on me.

:)

Jackinthebox
28-06-2007, 05:51 PM
The pile is too big for the camera !!!!!

reidy
02-04-2008, 03:32 PM
And me.They may come in handy one day.One day.
How about your 40 year old lure collections guys and gals;)
Go tragics. Go you good things
Cheers
Reidy

honda900
02-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Geez Jackinthebox, want to watch the rods, just need to find that september 95 edition, oops, all comes crashing down on the rod rack :-[

Regards
Honda

BLOOEY
02-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Jeez , I thought i was the only one with that many fisho mags. People can't believe i have a stack in the toilet instead of picture mags. Ben

tunaticer
02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Maybe if the mags could be digitized and stored on dvd's you could have a great reference source without the clutter. I'm sure ebay would get a lot of hits for a digitized collection of X brand mags from 20 yrs ago.

It is not uncommon for someone to sell a complete collection of "Flylife" magazine on ebay and get prices in the 1000's.

Jack.