PDA

View Full Version : North Pine Dam

TimD
17-06-2007, 11:30 PM
I decided to have a fish with amanda at north pine dam this morning,We fished around Mcgavin view and used all sorts of lures including Spinnerbaits, Jackall's and Slider grubs but we didnt get 1 hit all morning,I noticed alot of guy's fishing there were using live yabbies and seemed to be catching plenty of decent yellowbelly.

Next time i go there im thinking about trying some yabbies and earthworms

Does anyone know if there's a bait shop local to the dam that sell's live yabbies ??

And does anyone have good success on live earthworms ??

Also any other suggestions on bait's i could try ??

cheers tim :D

Feral
18-06-2007, 06:16 AM
The "Yabbies" are probably either reclaw caught out of the dam, or feeder redclaw from pet shops.
The Pine is infested with them, but it is technically illegal to use them as bait. If they are using the native yabbies, its legal, but they have to be caught, so it is unlikely so many would have them.

Rainbowrunner
18-06-2007, 08:07 AM
hey tim,

we use live shrimp and have good success, we set traps the day before tho.
I ve always wanted to try live gar there but never got around to it. Seen gar scattering quite few times there. Seems people have alot more success with bait there than lures. Worms would be worth a try too i reckon.

cheers

TimD
18-06-2007, 10:23 AM
The "Yabbies" are probably either reclaw caught out of the dam, or feeder redclaw from pet shops.
The Pine is infested with them, but it is technically illegal to use them as bait. If they are using the native yabbies, its legal, but they have to be caught, so it is unlikely so many would have them.

Sorry mate but they were definitely not redclaw they were using,They were salwater yabbies

cheers tim :)

Feral
18-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Thats interesting Tim, I had the wrong idea there - Baroon Pocket can fish alright with saltwater yabbies, which I have done, but the word was that the Pine did not. I have tried them in Hinze, without a touch.

Virtually impossible to fine salt water yabbies for sale, they are just to fragile, usually you have to pump your own.

foggy
18-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey Tim,

I fished the Dam this arvo and caught 2 yella's at 48cms x 54cms and about 12-15 Bass ranging from 20cm right up to 48cm. Got most of them on spinnerbaits, but the 4 or 5 of the bigger bass fell to a Cheap Jackal copy in a gold colour. Give me a yell next time your going and I will meet you there. Show you some secret spots.:-X

Foggy

Roo
20-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm up for a crack at this dam this weekend......i hope. I'll do some Google earth research. Any tips for a first timer?

cheerss Roo.

SWANY22
20-06-2007, 04:50 PM
orbyroo ,look for the helly pad fish the point to your right and the inlet that goes in from there always do all right there.bit of a walk but well worth it.

tanglefoot
20-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Swanny what side of the dam wall is the helipad, North or South?

Tim, We fished from the carpark between bullocky,s rest & forgan grove on sat morn throwing jackalls spinners and sp;s. there is a pipe on the first point that held fish on the weekend both bass & yella's. We kept walking around and ended up with about 10 each, nothing huge but still good fun.

Roo
21-06-2007, 10:15 AM
cheers boys, I'll let you know how we go!;)

Roo.

SWANY22
21-06-2007, 01:30 PM
TANGLE FOOT its on the north on top of the big cliif face you can see from bulcocky rest you can see it when you google the dam

stokesy_86
21-06-2007, 08:01 PM
ive found jackalls in natural colours do the most damage, if not getting hits then throw in a few pauses, got 6 out there last satdie arvo all on the pause and ranged in size from 40-47cm, spinner baits and slugs also get plenty of hits but in my opion nothing beats the jackalls out there, its just ashame there so expensive!!

Roo
22-06-2007, 09:47 AM
cheers stokesy, so with the jackalls, you cast them out and let them sink to the bottom then slow roll back. the occasional pause to hit the bottom again. Have i got that right?:)

shayned
22-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Depends mate, sometimes they'll smack a steady fast roll as well. The mart with no name has some $7 cheapo lipless crank baits at the mo'. Look for the heavier ones at 17 gms use these to explore areas before tying on$25 of jackall. Lawnton had some in the specials bins fishing area.

cammy1
22-06-2007, 11:44 AM
i went to north pine using mussel under a float, and i saw people using saltwater yabbies 2, almost all the people there a whole of 4 were using them, so im going next time with yabbies and i dont no if they were using a float either were, the yabbies are not impossible to get, the bait shop at castledine often has them when i go there.

does anyone know whether to fish with floats or sinker with yabbies i usually use float so the turtles dont get them. all i catch is bloody lungfish and catties.

thnx in advance
cam ;)

tanglefoot
22-06-2007, 12:54 PM
try using lures get a better catch rate, Just got to walk a bit

Roo
22-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Depends mate, sometimes they'll smack a steady fast roll as well. The mart with no name has some $7 cheapo lipless crank baits at the mo'. Look for the heavier ones at 17 gms use these to explore areas before tying on$25 of jackall. Lawnton had some in the specials bins fishing area.

Cheers mate, I don't have any jackalls anyway::) I've got some cotton cordells and tropic anglers.....as well as a few of the "Kackalls" too.;) ;) always use the cheapos in an unknown dam. then the better ones can come out once i get a feel for the terrain.

cheers, roo.

Roo
25-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Weekend is over, back to work, didn't end up going to NPD on saturday......went to Ewan Maddock instead. Rowed about for a while for nil result, appeared to be very little happening so aborted trip and headed for the Salt. I don't think saturday's weather was helping, Was bitterly cold on the water, Weather report said top temp acheived was 18 deg. BBBBRRRRRRR!!

Will have a go at NPD when some better weather patterns appear.
Cheers, Roo.

SheppyG
25-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Orbyroo......
Who rowed about for awhile????????

Roo
25-06-2007, 10:21 AM
you did champ......from now on we shall call him "Evinrude".

SheppyG
25-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi Bilge...

Thanks for the acknowledgement!!