PDA

View Full Version : insurance

swampdonkey11
17-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Hello all,looking for a bit of info about boat insurance.I have been thinking of going with Club marine or RACQ just needing a bit of help on what some info from fellow ausfish members

cheers swamp...:-/ :-/

BM
17-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Run as far away from "the club' as you can.....

marco
18-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Bm is on the money , racq and suncorp im told use the same assesors and racq is half owned by suncorp so price is the issue there , thhere is a lot of discussion about agreed value insurers as well , do a search on these forums for it and you will find heaps about it .

mini696
18-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Never had a problem with RACQ, and because all my insurance (car, boat, contents and breakdown) is through them I get a great discount.

Its only like $13 a month to insure my boat, trailer, motor and accesories for an agreed value.

Marlin_Mike
18-06-2007, 04:01 PM
club marine are fine just a tad dear IMHO. I am with CGU through the credit union

Mike

marco
18-06-2007, 05:40 PM
club marine are fine just a tad dear

Mike

hi mike , i have to disagree, i got screwed good and proper after making a claim , they are the most arrogant company to deal with when you need to make a claim and they employ assesors who's sole obective is to screw the customer , never again .
cheers
mark

Marlin_Mike
18-06-2007, 05:43 PM
i never had a problem Mark, just shows individual experiences can differ and afect a persons opinion. I can only comment on how i was treated by them, sorry you had a bad one with them.

Mike

cobiaman
18-06-2007, 05:55 PM
how is the new boat mate, taken it out yet?

swampdonkey11
20-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys,its good to get some news good or bad !!!
hey cobia man i haven't heard from you since NSW LOST the series HAHAHAHA;D ;D mate i will more than likely take her out in 2 weeks for a good run,drives me crazy going to work on good days and leaving her high and dry:'(

cheers swamp

dnej
20-06-2007, 10:24 PM
do a search on insurance, there is a mile of information just been put up recently, and in the past.
Davidm

Coast Runner 540
20-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Never had a problem with RACQ, and because all my insurance (car, boat, contents and breakdown) is through them I get a great discount.

Its only like $13 a month to insure my boat, trailer, motor and accesories for an agreed value.

Mini I agree that RACQ has a cheap product, but you do get what you pay for. The liabiltly cover is only 15 million, others have a lot more. But in the end it's what your comfortable with.

I have my boat insured with RACQ, but I have a vested interest in the company as I work for them. Also in regards to your agreed value on your boat it will be a sum insured amount, which means an assessor will determine the value of your boat at the time of loss and payout the market value of the boat or the sum insured, whichever is the lesser.

Cheers
Johno

cobiaman
20-06-2007, 11:13 PM
mate, you only won with a forward pass anyway....
if you need a deckie, let me know, ill be keen

1975fflh
24-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Hi

I use the GIO i get 5% discount each policy, 2 cars 1 boat insured, (no one would steal the other one) I pay by the month but have combined the policies, If you dont they charge $5 extra each policy per month.

I can ring anytime up till 9pm and still talk to a human, the lady helped me heaps and told me I was underinsuring the boat and motor and gear. I told her thats what I paid but she said its worth more than that but it was up to me.

I have always had top service from them with the cars and would assume its the same with the boat, I hope never to have to find out.

shags101
29-06-2007, 10:58 AM
have just done the ring round to check out insurance on new boat just to make sure my insurer wasn't taking advantage of my trusting nature .an the NRMA was the cheapeast an that is who i have my insurance with anyway
boat $50,000
ski liability
no layup
excess $500
2 yr replacment
5yr motor damage

$517.40 next one was $128 dearer

FNQCairns
29-06-2007, 11:46 AM
When you speak to them ask them this question,

If YOU were driving your MATES registered and legal but unknown to you (you cannot know,commonwealth privacy legislation precludes you from inquiring) NON COMPREHENSIVELY INSURED vehicle, towing YOUR boat and trailer, are YOU covered for any and all liability for damage your trailer (not boat only) may in any instance while under tow or unattended while connected to the vehicle??.

It may take a couple of attempts to keep them on track in their answer or they may need to ask a supervisor but interested to hear of your results if you do ask. I have yet to see or be pointed to the clause where this is spelt out in any disclosure doc of the ones I have rang.

So far under my research if a person sideswiped a 1965 Porsche with the trailer mudguard under the above scenario every insurance company either was not sure or was outright in the belief they would not cover it. I have given up for a while and am psyching myself up for round 2 of ringing around.

The upshot is our packages are not by definition comprehensively insured!!!!! without this inclusion, be careful.

cheers fnq