PDA

View Full Version : Berty 25 owners

BM
15-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Just a quick question to see how our resident Berty 25 owners are going? A couple have had some major dramas in the last 12-24 months so keen to catch up and see whats happening now.

Cheers

Camo
16-06-2007, 05:02 PM
No replys. Don't know Nicholas, maybe they're to embarrassed to talk about it.

Mate are you still thinking of moving up here?

Camo

BM
16-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Still on the cards mate. Need to come have a look around. A few prospects ocuring down here in Melb also so no firm answer for a little bit.

I guess this post shows there are not too many Berty 25 owners on the site or those that are don't wish to speak.

Perhaps I should broaden it to a sterndrive topic, and start a new thread?? Shall do

finga
17-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Our neighbours are still looking for someone to finish a job that was started yonks ago on their mercruisers...replacing the risers.
8 weeks and still not finished.
New stainless risers were built 6 weeks ago.
Also waiting for them to fix the dunny. Apparently when they put a new poo choppa in they wired it all wrong and when the thing is flushed it all goes out the side and not into the holding tank. He only found this when the boat was in dry dock and someone flushed and he was underneath. :-[

BM
17-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Finga,

Why the expense of stainless risers???? Why not fit the cast iron units and replace them every 5yrs. If its on a trailer and can be fresh water flushed they will last a lot longer than that.

Is it the separate riser and coolant tank model or the integrated unit? 470's? or straight 6's?

Cheers

finga
17-06-2007, 05:40 PM
She's a birth job matey with the chev 350's.
No fresh water flushing.
No idea on which system.....sorry
He went for the stainless because of availability and 7 years warrantee.

BM
17-06-2007, 07:40 PM
350 chev's would have to be in a 28 or larger. No 25's built with twin 350 chevs... wayyyyyyy to heavy in the arse..

Ok, risers to suit 350 chev around $450 each (x4), genuine gaskets about $20 each, say 4hrs stuffing around with the shift plates and ignition module plate (both attached to risers etc).

The aftermarket risers I can buy have 3yr warranty on them. Genuine Merc items have 12 months.

So that job in my book (assuming there were not big complications like cactus manifolds etc) would be say, risers(4) + gaskets(4) + coolant (at 50:50 mix) = $2500 or thereabouts.

Cheers

ozlongboarder
17-06-2007, 10:35 PM
No real dramas with my 25. The trim ram was replaced under warranty several months ago and thats about it. I did a run with a Volvo tech who plugged his PDA into the ECU to give me my fuel consumption, 23.7 knots = 1.01lts/km. Pretty happy with that or the size of the boat.

Biggest drama is keeping the bloody segulls off the thing!!!

finga
18-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Gidday BM... I think it's a tad bigger then 28. What's the next size up as they're thinking about selling and going up to around 38-40'