PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Island...Advice

poppers81
14-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi all.. Just a quick question for the wealth of experience on this site.. Goin to moreton in about a month for the second time.. Idea popped into my head about maybe taking the tinny over on the barge. Has any of u ever been involved before in such i idea.. sure i could launch from near tangalooma in the right weather..It is a 4.6m quinnie with a 35 johnson on the back.. will be towed by a hilux ute. Do you think it is fesible as a idea. will be satying in a house for the week so security and stuff will be sweet. Are you even allowed to to do this over there.. Any advice would be great... Cheers Poppers

MY-TopEnder
15-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Its bloody expensive... but it can be done.

Marlin_Mike
15-06-2007, 09:08 AM
costs you twice the car fare for the boat on the back?

Yes expensive but a bloody good holiday.

Mike

2iar
15-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I took the little tinnie over when I had it (11 footer and 9.9HP). I stayed in a house at Bulwer and launched it straight from the beach just north of Cowan. Piece of cake in that size.

I went over on the Micat that time, and yes it's expensive. It's drive on/off though, so no reversing on to the barge like with the Kombi Trader. As you probably know, the Micat lands at Tangalooma, and I wasn't sure what the Cowan Bypass track was like, so I just dropped the boat in the water and drove it past the point, walked back and drove the truck and trailer round. I was over-cautious though as the track was fine.

It's all down to whether you reckon it's worth the expense. I felt it was, and used the boat most days, and with such a small motor I didn't have to buy fuel over there.

Good luck,
Mike

RCG008
15-06-2007, 10:55 AM
If you were camping on the inside of the island you could always drive the tinny over by water. But towing over on a barge is expensive. Prob worth it if you were spending a couple of weeks there.

adrian johnson
15-06-2007, 11:28 AM
can be pricey but we take two 4.3 metre tinnies over every july

poppers81
15-06-2007, 06:06 PM
cheers all, thinking i will take on the battle..just need to keep a eye on the weather.. Pricey i know but what price do you put fun.. just can't wait..... poppers

fish_outta_water
16-06-2007, 09:18 PM
you can launch easily enough from the flat sands at the resort side of the wrecks and leave her moored in the shallows there out of the current
if your taking the poppers try throwing one out at night , from the shore on the corner of the wrecks toward the wreck with the wooden deck still visable
loads of good trevors , alternatly try a 3" glow shad at the same spot
enjoy mate

Brett1907
18-06-2007, 10:49 AM
If I had a tinnie I would definately take it over on the ferry. That size would take you too long and would be dangerous if the wind picked up. The 'lux shouldn't have a problem towing the boat. Make sure you deflate the trailer tyres as well as those on the ute. Once the utes tyres are let down measure the length of the tread. Then let the trailer tyres down in increments until the length of the tread is the same, this will make it easier to tow the tinnie.

Good luck, and I'll try that spot next time I'm over there fish_outta_water.

Brett